Cycle commuting

Completely off the Topic of Tea

Re: Cycle commuting

Postby gingkoseto » Jul 17th, '13, 23:20

MEversbergII wrote:I believe many benefits could be reaped if people in general would drive less and bike more.

M.

That's very true. Meantime, it's the government and society's responsibility to nurture things like biking, by means of creating bike trail and making the road safer.
Here in Boston, sometimes people put a ghost bike (an abandoned bike painted in white color) on a location where a cyclist died of accident (usually hit by a car). And one could spot quite a few of them just in one trip in the city :shock:
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 18th, '13, 10:50

That's an interesting idea. I'll keep that in mind, in case any other cyclists fall around here.

My coworkers think I'm off in the head, mostly. Personally, I love the ability to completely bypass gridlock on the way into the base. Yesterday they were backed up a half mile or so from the gate. Nuts.

M.
MEversbergII

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 25th, '13, 08:22

I'm also active over at bikeforums.net. I'm not one of the "elite" members which have a brain-dictionary of bike stuff (yet), or a sweet set of wheels (just a box store Schwinn for now) BUT I enjoy my time over there.

M.
MEversbergII

Postby etorix » Jul 25th, '13, 21:14

cycled all my life really, born in the country, now in a big city ..

even was a bike-mechanic for a bit .. but when my Tom Board 'cross frame w/ Campag 'nearly everything' was stolen out of my HOUSE i kinda just stopped, a few years back...

but wait..
saw this forum accidentally recently: London Fixed-gear and Single-speed https://www.lfgss.com/
+ haha + it got me all nostalgic: i know all the patter, all the buzz-words, i even still have some Campag spanners ..

and someone just gave me a Pinarello bare frame/no forks .. i think its from the 80s, a Treviso model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinarello

its got some issues .. but so do i
etorix

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 27th, '13, 19:26

Theft sucks. Been there myself. But, cannot have some sticky-fingered naysayers dictating my lifestyle choices!

M.
MEversbergII

Postby Evan Draper » Aug 4th, '13, 12:41

etorix wrote:but when my Tom Board 'cross frame w/ Campag 'nearly everything' was stolen out of my HOUSE i kinda just stopped, a few years back...

Sometimes we would continue doing something out of inertia, until an unexpected event gives us an excuse to reevaluate. I used to skateboard a little, mostly for transportation purposes, but when my board "disappeared" it wasn't worth it to get back into it. Too old anyway, right?
Evan Draper

Postby MEversbergII » Aug 4th, '13, 16:45

Bah, one's never too old to be active.

M.
MEversbergII

Postby Chip » Aug 4th, '13, 19:54

Queen wrote:Get on your bikes and ride!
:mrgreen:
MEversbergII wrote:Bah, one's never too old to be active.

M.

Active yes ... but wiser too I hope in "active" choices. :idea: :wink: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby MEversbergII » Aug 4th, '13, 21:15

Cycling is wisdom in the way of MeversbergII :mrgreen:

M.
MEversbergII

Postby Poohblah » Aug 6th, '13, 01:09

To whoever posted about stolen bikes earlier in the thread - I understand. It sucks. I don't think I know a single serious cyclist who hasn't had at least one bike stolen from them (including myself, my parents, my friends...). It sounds awful to say, but it's almost part of cycling culture.

From my experience, the best prevention is to keep bikes indoors at all times - NOT including garages. Private garages and public bike racks (especially on places like university campuses) are prime targets for bike thieves. I, for one, keep my nice bike in my bedroom, or if I ride it to work, in cubicleville. I've also taken pictures of it and written the serial number down to aid the police in case another bike is stolen from me.

Finally, I have a cheap, old, beat-up bike that I use for commuting and errands. It's a piece of junk and I'm not afraid of it getting stolen, vandalized, or weather-beaten. But as long as I perform basic maintenance on it, it gets me around town with plenty of peace of mind :)
Poohblah

Postby MEversbergII » Aug 6th, '13, 08:27

I actually had mine stolen as well. I got lucky - the day after, on my way back from work (borrowing a roomate's bike), I spotted it stowed between the wall pillars of a McDonalds about 1/2 mile from my place. Must have been a kid riding it last, since the seat was bottomed out and the gears left cross chaining. Punks.

Anyways, rolled both bikes home. Couple days later I found a post for it on Craigslist :roll:

M.
MEversbergII

Postby Chip » Aug 6th, '13, 13:09

Wow, you were amazingly fortunate!!! :!:
---------------------------------------
A bike club friend of mine was "mugged" as he rode on his way to his urban home from a club ride.

They wanted his money ... he rode away a few dollars lighter on his 2500+ USD bike. :lol: :roll: :arrow:
---------------------------------------
Many moons ago, my Schwinn "Varsity 10 speed"was stolen when I accidently left it locked up outside during Thanksgiving break at college. I used to practically live on that bike for years ... spupid of me but still it was stolen. I had the thickest steel chain I could pratically carry onboard which they also took ... I guess they used it to secure their "new" bike.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 6th, '13, 13:20

Oh, another bike mugging tale.

On our local rails to trails, a solo biker was riding along. Long story short, he was stopped, and threatened by 3 teens. Turns out, the bicyclist was packing a pistol and ended up shooting one of the attackers, fatally wounding him. He was 17 ...

The cyclist had all the required registrations, etc. and was not charged in the shooting as it was ruled self defense by the DA's office.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby MEversbergII » Aug 6th, '13, 14:21

Unfortunately I cannot comment here re: second mugging, as it would get far too political far too fast for a friendly tea forum.

As to your missing bike, much unfortunate :(. Luckily it's a mistake you only make once!

As for mine, I was amazingly fortunate. I did a double take when I first saw it. Really, it was the tag under the saddle that gave it away - mine had a habit of slipping out and just sort of flopping around. Was too lazy to remove it, so I just kept stuffing it back inside. Sunlight glancing off is what caught my attention, ultimately.

I kept double checking the whole way home, but it had both of my cable locks (combos) still attached. The only thing I was missing was a pair of extra reflector bands I had looped around the saddle - ended up getting in the way of the "low rider" seat position, I guess.

M.
MEversbergII

Postby gingkoseto » Aug 6th, '13, 20:23

Talking about mugging, here is a real life joke :mrgreen: My friend R once was mugged on a Boston bike trail near Northeastern University and basically next door to one of the largest Boston police stations. Afterwards, naturally he walked into the police station to report it. The police told him, "bike trail is within the charge of the State Police, not the City Police. thank you and good-bye~"
I don't know if this actually happened many decades ago as my friend R is a well-aged biker. But the other day when my partner and I were biking on the trail, we saw a patrol car of the State Police. So technically the City Police didn't lie about it :wink:
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions