Would Boveda Humidty Control Work for Puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 25th, '13, 13:02

by AllanK » Jul 25th, '13, 13:02

Has anyone tried a humidity control from http://www.bovedainc.com for building a pumidor. I came across this website by accident. They are packet for achieving a specific, preset humidity and I am wondering if they would work, in a converted cooler for humidity control? They are made for cigars and herbs but an Amazon listing says they are good for tea but does not specify Puerh.

Jul 25th, '13, 13:09

Re: Would Boveda Humidty Control Work for Puerh?

by Exempt » Jul 25th, '13, 13:09

Last edited by Exempt on Jul 25th, '13, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 25th, '13, 13:12

by Exempt » Jul 25th, '13, 13:12

I have heard of people using them short term, but they are made for small environments like a 100ct desk cigar humidor so it takes a LOT to use in a larger pumidor. They are essentially heartfelt humidity beads just more expensive and in small packets. If you look at my past humidification thread, you can see that these beads absorb the smell of ammonia given off by bacterial reactions and this smell eventually ends up imparted on the tea. (I noticed them smelling funky after a month or two) If I were you I'd go with an active humidification system like an aristocrat humidifier. Myself and a few other teachatters use them without a problem

Jul 25th, '13, 13:27

by AllanK » Jul 25th, '13, 13:27

Exempt wrote:I have heard of people using them short term, but they are made for small environments like a 100ct desk cigar humidor so it takes a LOT to use in a larger pumidor. They are essentially heartfelt humidity beads just more expensive and in small packets. If you look at my past humidification thread, you can see that these beads absorb the smell of ammonia given off by bacterial reactions and this smell eventually ends up imparted on the tea. (I noticed them smelling funky after a month or two) If I were you I'd go with an active humidification system like an aristocrat humidifier. Myself and a few other teachatters use them without a problem
I had seen reference to "beads" but didn't realize people were talking about this.

Jul 25th, '13, 13:29

by AllanK » Jul 25th, '13, 13:29

Exempt wrote:I have heard of people using them short term, but they are made for small environments like a 100ct desk cigar humidor so it takes a LOT to use in a larger pumidor. They are essentially heartfelt humidity beads just more expensive and in small packets. If you look at my past humidification thread, you can see that these beads absorb the smell of ammonia given off by bacterial reactions and this smell eventually ends up imparted on the tea. (I noticed them smelling funky after a month or two) If I were you I'd go with an active humidification system like an aristocrat humidifier. Myself and a few other teachatters use them without a problem
What is an "aristocrat humidifier" and where is it found?

Jul 25th, '13, 13:55

by Exempt » Jul 25th, '13, 13:55

An aristocrat humidor is a top of the line active humidifier which can be purchase at aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm
It's a little pricey but amazingly hand made. Check out reviews or email bob for more information. You can get a cheaper one like cigar oasis or hydra which are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost but are hit or miss. For some people they work for a couple years and some people's break almost immediately. Either way the aristocrat price/year ratio is usually better.

Jul 25th, '13, 13:57
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 25th, '13, 13:57

Exempt wrote:An aristocrat humidor is a top of the line active humidifier which can be purchase at aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm
It's a little pricey but amazingly hand made. Check out reviews or email bob for more information. You can get a cheaper one like cigar oasis or hydra which are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost but are hit or miss. For some people they work for a couple years and some people's break almost immediately. Either way the aristocrat price/year ratio is usually better.
+1

Jul 25th, '13, 19:35

by BioHorn » Jul 25th, '13, 19:35

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... da#p231482

Search is your friend!

I like the Bovedas.

+ Post Reply