Jul 28th, '13, 04:20

Re: My First Gaiwan

by JD » Jul 28th, '13, 04:20

oolong wrote:
JD wrote:I don't think there's any rule to not doing so, but you're not supposed to pickup the bottom saucer when using a gaiwan. I
Are you sure about this because the guy in this video picks up the bottom saucer and he seems to exactly know what he is doing. He was the owner of his own Chinese tea store in Canada as far as I know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... TU6jq-i66Y
If you search "gongfu gaiwan" on youtube and view the videos shown most of them don't pick up the saucer.

But if you feel comfortable doing it that way then do it that way. No one's going to tell you you're wrong.

Jul 28th, '13, 05:22

by oolong » Jul 28th, '13, 05:22

I actually don't pick up the saucer myself as I have a pretty big gaiwan (250 ml) and my hands are just not large enough (or I simply don't know how) to pick up the saucer too.
I just thought the way he did it was very stylish (I cannot even do this with one hand only, I always need my second hand to hold the lid).

Jul 28th, '13, 22:04

by yalokinh » Jul 28th, '13, 22:04

JD wrote:
debunix wrote:There are many different possible grips--I only show the all-3-pieces-in-one-hand grip because it is especially useful when the gaiwan is getting hot and scorching fingers.
I don't think there's any rule to not doing so, but you're not supposed to pickup the bottom saucer when using a gaiwan. I don't think anyone will tell you not to do that, but in the many videos I've watched on youtube only 1 of them shows a guy (after the chinese shop owner/proprietor made them tea for them) picking the whole gaiwan up and pouring it out and I could tell that the way he was holding it that that guy had never used a gaiwan before.

And the video I mentioned in a previous post. It wasn't a woman, it was a guy. This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhglLFM10EE

I don't know how accurate the english translation is.
I don't know about that, with most gaiwans that i know of, its not possible to handle it safely without picking up the saucer, otherwise, why even have it.

Jul 29th, '13, 01:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 29th, '13, 01:38

I hold it the same way as TeadOff--IMO it is the best way if you don't want to scald your fingertips.

Jul 30th, '13, 21:38
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jul 30th, '13, 21:38

Glass gaiwan can easily get very hot if you use it for oolong. But a lot of larger glass gaiwan's were meant to be for green tea.

This is a gaiwan of about 250ml and it's typically for green tea. Some women would use gaiwan smaller than this for green tea too. This size is more of a unisex size :mrgreen:

This is the traditional "manly" way to hold a gaiwan for green tea. It's not a perfect picture though. Ideally the man could use a thumb (of the same hand) to hold the lid to appear more handsome :mrgreen:

Aug 3rd, '13, 02:54

by etorix » Aug 3rd, '13, 02:54

my 1st gaiwan was a RuKiln greeny one and quite hefty, so lots of cooler gripzones

+ Post Reply