Maocha Storage?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 28th, '13, 01:07

Maocha Storage?

by Exempt » Jul 28th, '13, 01:07

I know there is already a topic on this but it is a couple years old now. For the past 8 months I have had 500g of Lao Man'E maocha stored in 3 different ways.
166.66g stored in an airtight container
166.67g stored in a completely open container
166.67g stored in a plastic bag that is sometimes open and sometimes closed
I am going to try all 3 in a couple days and see what I think. My question is, how do you store maocha? Right now I am thinking a shoe box because it has some circulation, but very little. I have taken an old shoebox and filled it with 2lbs of baking soda then left it for a week. At this point it has almost no smell. Would this be a viable option or does anyone else have a better idea?

Jul 28th, '13, 01:59

Re: Maocha Storage?

by shah82 » Jul 28th, '13, 01:59

Favorite method it seems, is with a cylinder, like the sort used to hold large photos and posters.

Jul 28th, '13, 02:00

by Exempt » Jul 28th, '13, 02:00

shah82 wrote:Favorite method it seems, is with a cylinder, like the sort used to hold large photos and posters.
That's a good idea, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll go to some art/framing stores and see if they have some

Jul 28th, '13, 02:31

by Exempt » Jul 28th, '13, 02:31

After looking a little bit, I'm not sure I can find a cylindrical document holder that would fit in my storage and hold 500g of maocha

Jul 30th, '13, 23:44

by AllanK » Jul 30th, '13, 23:44

Exempt wrote:I know there is already a topic on this but it is a couple years old now. For the past 8 months I have had 500g of Lao Man'E maocha stored in 3 different ways.
I am going to try all 3 in a couple days and see what I think. My question is, how do you store maocha? Right now I am thinking a shoe box because it has some circulation, but very little. I have taken an old shoebox and filled it with 2lbs of baking soda then left it for a week. At this point it has almost no smell. Would this be a viable option or does anyone else have a better idea?
Why don't you buy a few small boxes online from someplace like Amazon or Uline.com. That way the box won't have any funny smell. If you are worried about the lining of the box try lining with a big piece of parchment paper like a baker uses. I will bet your local supermarket bakery would give you a few large sheets for free. They are the size of a full sheet pan and could be made to fit a small box.

Jul 31st, '13, 09:32

by .m. » Jul 31st, '13, 09:32

amazon is evil.
get a big bottle of a good single malt scotch, and use the box that it comes in :p

Jul 31st, '13, 11:52

Maocha Storage?

by Exempt » Jul 31st, '13, 11:52

AllanK wrote:
Exempt wrote:I know there is already a topic on this but it is a couple years old now. For the past 8 months I have had 500g of Lao Man'E maocha stored in 3 different ways.
Why don't you buy a few small boxes online from someplace like Amazon or Uline.com. That way the box won't have any funny smell. If you are worried about the lining of the box try lining with a big piece of parchment paper like a baker uses. I will bet your local supermarket bakery would give you a few large sheets for free. They are the size of a full sheet pan and could be made to fit a small box.
I'm kind of worried about the tea absorbing the cardboard smell in new boxes. Ideally I want some kind of food grade box that doesn't have a cardboard or plastic smell

Jul 31st, '13, 18:00

by Bad Jedi » Jul 31st, '13, 18:00

You may want to consider big metal tea canisters widely used by chinese tea retailers in tea shops for tea storage.

Jul 31st, '13, 18:23

by Exempt » Jul 31st, '13, 18:23

Bad Jedi wrote:You may want to consider big metal tea canisters widely used by chinese tea retailers in tea shops for tea storage.
I thought maocha still needed some airflow, although much less than beengs

Jul 31st, '13, 21:35

by Teaism » Jul 31st, '13, 21:35

For me it is always airtight, or in vacumn pack or in airtight tin canister. For experiment and knowledge, once I tried storing them in purion canister and also yixing canister which supposed to be moisture resistance but not totally airtight. After 2 years the result was disappointing, the tea gone almost flat and lost a lot of flavour. Those in airtight canister retained its flavours and do aged as well.

Anyway, the place I am in is very high in humidity and temp, at 70RH and 35C constantly throughout the year. It may be work differently for different region but from observation, the tea loose flavour once exposed, no matter which region you are in. It sounds logical scientifically too.The same applies to the beeng too and also other tea like black to white tea.. they do aged in the sealed canister.

Anyway, it is just a matter of my personal preference and observations.

Jul 31st, '13, 23:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jul 31st, '13, 23:30

I'm curious, did you try this experiment for longer than 2 years? What was the difference between the two storage methods after 5-10 years?

Aug 1st, '13, 12:19

by Evan Draper » Aug 1st, '13, 12:19

HT to the .01 g sensitivity weighing... :o

+ Post Reply