Which black (red) teas do you gong fu?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Which black teas do you use the gong fu methood? (you may select multiple choices)

Dian Hong (Yunnan red)
20%
Keemun (Qimen red)
12%
Fujian Red
18%
Darjeeling
2%
Nepal
2%
Assam
2%
Nilgiri
2%
Sri lanka (Ceylon)
2%
Shan Cha (Wild Mountain - Taiwan)
6%
Bai Hao (Oriental Beauty - Taiwan)
20%
Sun Moon Lake (Taiwan Assamica)
14%

Total votes: 50

Aug 6th, '13, 20:42

Re: Which black (red) teas do you gong fu?

by wyardley » Aug 6th, '13, 20:42

I guess part of this depends on your definition of gongfu. I typically use less leaf (by both volume and weight) for red (black) teas than with most oolongs or older pu'ers, but I do employ a fairly similar brewing method.

There may be exceptions, but to me, most true red teas (that is, fully oxidized, not a modern lower oxidation darjeeling or things like that) will not change as dramatically from infusion to infusion as oolongs, and that may be one reason that people tend to use a bit larger vessel, less tea, and longer brewing times.

Aug 6th, '13, 23:45

by Tead Off » Aug 6th, '13, 23:45

wyardley wrote:I guess part of this depends on your definition of gongfu. I typically use less leaf (by both volume and weight) for red (black) teas than with most oolongs or older pu'ers, but I do employ a fairly similar brewing method.

There may be exceptions, but to me, most true red teas (that is, fully oxidized, not a modern lower oxidation darjeeling or things like that) will not change as dramatically from infusion to infusion as oolongs, and that may be one reason that people tend to use a bit larger vessel, less tea, and longer brewing times.
I don't find dramatic differences in oolongs from one infusion to the next except maybe the first to the second, where the flavor and aroma deepens because the leaves are fully saturated with the hot water.

I have had very good results using small vessels and more leaf with Darjeelings. The key is volume of leaf to water. This can only be found by experimenting and won't necessarily be the same from one Darj to the next. But as far as filling up a gaiwan or small teapot with Darj (gongfu style), I never do that. For me, it's a waste of tea as all the subtlety of the tea is overpowered by intensity. I have found that I lose my sensitivity to tea through traditional gongfu brewing (filling the pot with leaf).

Aug 7th, '13, 03:05

by b101 » Aug 7th, '13, 03:05

Tead Off wrote:
wyardley wrote:I guess part of this depends on your definition of gongfu. I typically use less leaf (by both volume and weight) for red (black) teas than with most oolongs or older pu'ers, but I do employ a fairly similar brewing method.

I don't find dramatic differences in oolongs from one infusion to the next except maybe the first to the second, where the flavor and aroma deepens because the leaves are fully saturated with the hot water.

I have had very good results using small vessels and more leaf with Darjeelings. The key is volume of leaf to water. This can only be found by experimenting and won't necessarily be the same from one Darj to the next. But as far as filling up a gaiwan or small teapot with Darj (gongfu style), I never do that. For me, it's a waste of tea as all the subtlety of the tea is overpowered by intensity. I have found that I lose my sensitivity to tea through traditional gongfu brewing (filling the pot with leaf).
what is the time you tried brewing gong fu? usually when i feel the tea is too intense i wll lower the time as low as 5 sec (dan cong for example).

Aug 7th, '13, 22:49

by chrl42 » Aug 7th, '13, 22:49

C'mon..Gongfu should be from Fujian :mrgreen:

I like to gongfu when brewing Fujian big 3 - Tan-yang, Zheng-he and Bai-lin.

Qi-men at first was mainly for exportation who fancied English Afternoon Tea (around late-19c.)..so their leaf used to be small and broken, not suitable for gongfuing..(recently they make huge leaf version as well)....just my opinion :)

+ Post Reply