High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby JD » Aug 7th, '13, 16:24

I've tried several different tie guan yins from green to lightly roasted, roasted, and high roasted, jade, grade A, and grade B. I'm curious if there's a high quality or really high quality type of tie guan yin? Like.. the best in China?

I should also mention that I'm not interested in aged or roasted teas. I want the best green TGY.

User avatar JD
Posts: 137
Joined: Apr 30, '08
Location: Puyallup, WA
Contact JD:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby jayinhk » Aug 7th, '13, 16:43

I believe the best TGY goes for more than gold...are you sure you want to go there? :D

User avatar jayinhk
Vendor Member
Posts: 2341
Joined: Aug 28, '12

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby JD » Aug 7th, '13, 18:42

This year's stock, un-aged, un-cooked, is worth more than gold? Who grows it?

User avatar JD
Posts: 137
Joined: Apr 30, '08
Location: Puyallup, WA
Contact JD:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby Joel Byron » Aug 7th, '13, 19:32

The best TGY in China stays in China. It's not available in the US market. What TGY from what vendors have you tried, maybe the forum can suggest some higher quality selections?

User avatar Joel Byron
Posts: 111
Joined: Jan 19, '13

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby TIM » Aug 7th, '13, 21:51

JD wrote:This year's stock, un-aged, un-cooked, is worth more than gold? Who grows it?


The better grade for this year Spring Anxi Xiping TGY is around US$2000 per pound. Its less than gold.

User avatar TIM
Vendor Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 04, '06
Location: NYC
Contact TIM:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby JD » Aug 7th, '13, 22:00

$2,000 a pound? Not worth it.

User avatar JD
Posts: 137
Joined: Apr 30, '08
Location: Puyallup, WA
Contact JD:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby chrl42 » Aug 7th, '13, 22:05

Those gold version of TGY sometimes come to markets like Maliandao or Fangcun..stay like a week then go, but they are usually not available to normal customers...

I wonder too..what's so special about them.. :(

User avatar chrl42
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mar 22, '08
Location: Beijing
Contact chrl42:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby TIM » Aug 7th, '13, 22:32

JD wrote:$2,000 a pound? Not worth it.


Have you try the better grade, not worth it just because? The high grade are even more.

User avatar TIM
Vendor Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 04, '06
Location: NYC
Contact TIM:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby gingkoseto » Aug 7th, '13, 23:44

chrl42 wrote:Those gold version of TGY sometimes come to markets like Maliandao or Fangcun..stay like a week then go, but they are usually not available to normal customers...

I wonder too..what's so special about them.. :(


They are not necessarily so special, although they are probably of high quality. 乌鲁木齐 of Taiwan once wrote an article about millionaire puerh trade scene that could be related to some oolong/black tea phenomena too :mrgreen:

User avatar gingkoseto
Vendor Member
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24, '08
Location: Boston, MA

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby Teaism » Aug 8th, '13, 00:27

chrl42 wrote:Those gold version of TGY sometimes come to markets like Maliandao or Fangcun..stay like a week then go, but they are usually not available to normal customers...

I wonder too..what's so special about them.. :(



I have been to Maliandao and Fangcun. Personally, I don't recommend any novice or even advance tea drinkers to look for tea there. Unless you are really very skillful with long history of experience in tea.

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby chrl42 » Aug 8th, '13, 00:48

Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Those gold version of TGY sometimes come to markets like Maliandao or Fangcun..stay like a week then go, but they are usually not available to normal customers...

I wonder too..what's so special about them.. :(



I have been to Maliandao and Fangcun. Personally, I don't recommend any novice or even advance tea drinkers to look for tea there. Unless you are really very skillful with long history of experience in tea.

right..I don't buy much teas from Maliandao anymore..but they offer a chance to taste at least, not too bad condition if you live near it :) (I almost never buy Yixings from there but visit there for tea time to time)

And the topic here is gold-priced TGY not Maliandao or Fangcun :wink:

User avatar chrl42
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mar 22, '08
Location: Beijing
Contact chrl42:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby gingkoseto » Aug 8th, '13, 01:04

Teaism wrote:I have been to Maliandao and Fangcun. Personally, I don't recommend any novice or even advance tea drinkers to look for tea there. Unless you are really very skillful with long history of experience in tea.


I would recommend going to maliandao with chl42 :wink:

User avatar gingkoseto
Vendor Member
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24, '08
Location: Boston, MA

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby Teaism » Aug 8th, '13, 01:16

chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Those gold version of TGY sometimes come to markets like Maliandao or Fangcun..stay like a week then go, but they are usually not available to normal customers...

I wonder too..what's so special about them.. :(



I have been to Maliandao and Fangcun. Personally, I don't recommend any novice or even advance tea drinkers to look for tea there. Unless you are really very skillful with long history of experience in tea.

right..I don't buy much teas from Maliandao anymore..but they offer a chance to taste at least, not too bad condition if you live near it :) (I almost never buy Yixings from there but visit there for tea time to time)

And the topic here is gold-priced TGY not Maliandao or Fangcun :wink:


Sometimes or quite often the tea you try is not the one that you buy although they say it is the same. Have to be careful.

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby chrl42 » Aug 8th, '13, 01:21

Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Those gold version of TGY sometimes come to markets like Maliandao or Fangcun..stay like a week then go, but they are usually not available to normal customers...

I wonder too..what's so special about them.. :(



I have been to Maliandao and Fangcun. Personally, I don't recommend any novice or even advance tea drinkers to look for tea there. Unless you are really very skillful with long history of experience in tea.

right..I don't buy much teas from Maliandao anymore..but they offer a chance to taste at least, not too bad condition if you live near it :) (I almost never buy Yixings from there but visit there for tea time to time)

And the topic here is gold-priced TGY not Maliandao or Fangcun :wink:


Sometimes or quite often the tea you try is not the one that you buy although they say it is the same. Have to be careful.

sounds like you live in a farm :mrgreen: no I can't afford to go there..time and expense bother me :P

User avatar chrl42
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mar 22, '08
Location: Beijing
Contact chrl42:

Re: High Quality Tie Guan Yin?

Postby genushumanusalice » Aug 8th, '13, 01:43

Sorry to butt in but I'd be interested in some suggestions for Tie Guan Yin that are not too expensive but reasonable quality.

What does 'not too expensive mean? The most complicated question to answer! Well, if I buy locally I'm looking at $190 - $450/kg but none of those vendors offer much more than vague information as to where it is grown and even less in terms of when. I therefore don't have great faith in the quality. The more expensive vendor also only sells in 100g packages which could turn out to be an expensive mistake if it is disappointing.

genushumanusalice
Posts: 24
Joined: Jun 18, '13


Today's Poll



Community

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest