Water Temperature For Sheng Puerh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 10th, '13, 23:59

by AllanK » Aug 10th, '13, 23:59

Question, what is the optimal temperature for Sheng Puerh? I would guess about 195 degrees? Is it not the theory that only Shu requires boiling water?

Aug 11th, '13, 00:06

Re: Water Temperature For Sheng Puerh

by debunix » Aug 11th, '13, 00:06

As with everything tea, it's really about what makes you happy. I start some young and aggressive (read: bitter if not treated with great respect) shengs off with water 190 or so, but mostly brew sheng and shu both with water at my kettles' highest setting (between 205 and full boil). Even the young strong shengs can be nice with water that hot as long as I do a lot of flash steeps.

Aug 11th, '13, 00:56

by Exempt » Aug 11th, '13, 00:56

I use 208 degree water

Aug 11th, '13, 11:21

by siae » Aug 11th, '13, 11:21

I almost always use boiling water. If it's too bitter I just use shorter steeps.
Last edited by siae on Aug 11th, '13, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 11th, '13, 11:32

by Teaism » Aug 11th, '13, 11:32

AllanK wrote:Question, what is the optimal temperature for Sheng Puerh? I would guess about 195 degrees? Is it not the theory that only Shu requires boiling water?
Generally from my personal experience, there is no optimal temperature to brew Shang puer or any tea. Long Jing can be brewed in boiling water or Sheng can brewed with any degrees including tepid water. Every brew is in a constant adjustment to control it, the temp, stepping time, infusion, type and age of tea etc all comes into play. For guide you can start with almost boiling water and play around the stepping time, etc etc to control the final result. It is a dynamic and constant adjustment to control the varibles to arrive at a perceive result from brew to brew. This is the crux of real gungfu tea!

Aug 11th, '13, 23:55

by chrl42 » Aug 11th, '13, 23:55

Teaism wrote:
AllanK wrote:Question, what is the optimal temperature for Sheng Puerh? I would guess about 195 degrees? Is it not the theory that only Shu requires boiling water?
Generally from my personal experience, there is no optimal temperature to brew Shang puer or any tea. Long Jing can be brewed in boiling water or Sheng can brewed with any degrees including tepid water. Every brew is in a constant adjustment to control it, the temp, stepping time, infusion, type and age of tea etc all comes into play. For guide you can start with almost boiling water and play around the stepping time, etc etc to control the final result. It is a dynamic and constant adjustment to control the varibles to arrive at a perceive result from brew to brew. This is the crux of real gungfu tea!
Try Biluochun in a boiling water next time..

It certainly demonstrates a Chinese old proverb - 良藥苦口 (Good medicine is bitter to mouth) :lol:

Aug 12th, '13, 06:27

by Teaism » Aug 12th, '13, 06:27

Yes tried it before many times. Must be very fast. The brew is sweet and ful of aroma.
:D

+ Post Reply