Aug 9th, '13, 13:11

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by chrl42 » Aug 9th, '13, 13:11

chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote:Just to share 2 Yixing pots made in 1985 in red and black. The capacity is about 90ml and single hole. The stamp below the pot is 中國宜興 (China Yixing). It is a production pot in limited quantity and quite sought after by collectors now. Currently I am using them for Puer since 2 months ago. The patina is slowly building up :D

Cheers! :D
not sure if they really are from 85,,but the mould certainly is. :)
if it's 90ml then prolly the same mould as mine (I was thinking about 150ml mould)..

I have carved version (by Ye Sheng-Ren Gan-ting's student) by Song Bao-yan (TokyoB has one, too), from 84.

85 did use ZGYX seal often..F1 pots really pair with Puerh ok.

Aug 12th, '13, 14:21

My new mystery teapot.

by pennanhuo » Aug 12th, '13, 14:21

P1060534.jpg
P1060534.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Clay type: Would be nice if it was Zhu ni, but I really can't tell with my experience.
Low/Med/High fired: I thin this pot is high fired as the pitch of the ringing is high. Although it is not clear ringing, probably due not so good workmanship…
Size of pot: 60-65ml
What year/decade the pot was made: No Idea… Any suggestions? Seems unused. It was quite clean and odor free when I bought it. Probably it was cleaned before it was put on sale, as tere were some fresh looking white fibers stuck on the rough inside edges of the mouth.
If the pot is thin-walled, medium, or thick-walled: They feel quite thin, but I have limited experience to compare on.
How long is the pour?: 14 seconds
Where you acquired the pot: I bought this teapot last week from a flea/antiques market while visiting copenhagen. The man knew that it was yixing but not really more.
What type of tea you make with it: I have no idea yet. Open to all suggestions…

The stamp in the bottom. Can somebody read this. I tried to translate with www.nciku.com/‎, but it didn't work this time. -edit: Seems to read just china yixing?
P1060517.jpg
P1060517.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
And the very faint stamp in the lid. There are actually two characters and a fingerprint :)
P1060522.jpg
P1060522.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Last edited by pennanhuo on Aug 13th, '13, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 12th, '13, 14:38
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 12th, '13, 14:38

Beautiful Pot! Congrats Penna.
Dont worry about the craftsmanship, back in the CR period the lid fit should be looser. Enjoy it! Great find :wink:

Aug 13th, '13, 05:35

Re: My new mystery teapot.

by chrl42 » Aug 13th, '13, 05:35

pennanhuo wrote:[attachment=2]
Clay type: Would be nice if it was Zhu ni, but I really can't tell with my experience.
Low/Med/High fired: I thin this pot is high fired as the pitch of the ringing is high. Although it is not clear ringing, probably due not so good workmanship…
Size of pot: 60-65ml
What year/decade the pot was made: No Idea… Any suggestions? Seems unused. It was quite clean and odor free when I bought it. Probably it was cleaned before it was put on sale, as tere were some fresh looking white fibers stuck on the rough inside edges of the mouth.
If the pot is thin-walled, medium, or thick-walled: They feel quite thin, but I have limited experience to compare on.
How long is the pour?: 14 seconds
Where you acquired the pot: I bought this teapot last week from a flea/antiques market while visiting copenhagen. The man knew that it was yixing but not really more.
What type of tea you make with it: I have no idea yet. Open to all suggestions…

The stamp in the bottom. Can somebody read this. I tried to translate with http://www.nciku.com/‎, but it didn't work this time. -edit: Seems to read just china yixing?
And the very faint stamp in the lid. There are actually two characters and a fingerprint :)
Can't really comment by mere pictures, yet scanning looks somewhat 70's 3-cup size Shui Ping.

If right, the clay should be high-quality Hongni (very high-quality..which recent masters aren't available to get)..mixed with other Hongni or Shihuang (natural clay used for coloring).

Fire..these days were fired in a gas kiln...adequate temperature as you mentioned

What tea to brew...those Shui Pings were to continue 'gongfu' market..prevalent since 18 c. Usually to brew Oolong..but vintage Puerh is also not a bad choice. 5~70's Factory 1 SP has a remarkable following in many asian communities..many because they continued 'gongfu' tradition...5~60's SP shared their seals(6-letter), clays and potters with the ROC period.

Aug 13th, '13, 06:53

by Math » Aug 13th, '13, 06:53

Very nice pot pennanhuo, congrats! :)

I've sent you a pm.

Aug 20th, '13, 08:05

by siae » Aug 20th, '13, 08:05

I'm looking for a new pot and thought you crazy yixing collectors are the best ones to ask :wink:

Around 60 ml or so. Young sheng (under ten years). Price-range is hard to decide but I want good value and rather spend a bit more to get something useful.

Any vendors and pots you guys can recommend?

Aug 20th, '13, 22:11

by chrl42 » Aug 20th, '13, 22:11

siae wrote:I'm looking for a new pot and thought you crazy yixing collectors are the best ones to ask :wink:

Around 60 ml or so. Young sheng (under ten years). Price-range is hard to decide but I want good value and rather spend a bit more to get something useful.

Any vendors and pots you guys can recommend?
Very few vendors offer such small pot, in China almost no one uses but Cantonese and Fukienese.

For young Sheng, kinda bigger pots are better but if you must want (60ml), suggest you some Factory 1 Shui Pings.

Aug 21st, '13, 05:20

by siae » Aug 21st, '13, 05:20

chrl42 wrote: Very few vendors offer such small pot, in China almost no one uses but Cantonese and Fukienese.

For young Sheng, kinda bigger pots are better but if you must want (60ml), suggest you some Factory 1 Shui Pings.
Okay, maybe a bit bigger would be fine but the one I'm using now is 140 ml and it is way too big for solo drinking.

Aug 21st, '13, 05:37

by chrl42 » Aug 21st, '13, 05:37

siae wrote:
chrl42 wrote: Very few vendors offer such small pot, in China almost no one uses but Cantonese and Fukienese.

Okay, maybe a bit bigger would be fine but the one I'm using now is 140 ml and it is way too big for solo drinking.
140ml is not big..Puerh needs a minimum space for leaves to unfurl.

If you think it's big, then you can insert one-person amount of Puerh and takes longer time to brew....it's not useful for Oolong but ok with Puerh I think...just my opinion :)

Aug 21st, '13, 08:38

by needaTEAcher » Aug 21st, '13, 08:38

chrl42 wrote:
siae wrote:

If you think it's big, then you can insert one-person amount of Puerh and takes longer time to brew....it's not useful for Oolong but ok with Puerh I think...just my opinion :)
One day, I will disagree with Chrl....but it is not this day!

I strongly encourage Western drinkers to move away from the small teapot model, and focus more on mid-range, 100-200cc pots. I brew with less leaves, maybe only 3 or 4 steeps, and pour a full cup on each steep. Also, if you have a bigger pot, I think it really does encourage looking for someone to share it with, and spreading the tea culture. If you love it, people will see that and as often as not give it a shot.

Aug 22nd, '13, 23:25

by chrl42 » Aug 22nd, '13, 23:25

needaTEAcher wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
siae wrote:

One day, I will disagree with Chrl....but it is not this day!

I strongly encourage Western drinkers to move away from the small teapot model, and focus more on mid-range, 100-200cc pots. I brew with less leaves, maybe only 3 or 4 steeps, and pour a full cup on each steep. Also, if you have a bigger pot, I think it really does encourage looking for someone to share it with, and spreading the tea culture. If you love it, people will see that and as often as not give it a shot.
I like 130~150ml high-fired pots for Sheng, they brew it really fine, even Gushu kinds.

Aug 23rd, '13, 00:02

by Tead Off » Aug 23rd, '13, 00:02

chrl42 wrote: I like 130~150ml high-fired pots for Sheng, they brew it really fine, even Gushu kinds.
What do you consider high fired? What temp?

Aug 23rd, '13, 00:31

by chrl42 » Aug 23rd, '13, 00:31

Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote: I like 130~150ml high-fired pots for Sheng, they brew it really fine, even Gushu kinds.
high fire is high fire..just like TGY or Wuyi..

High fired pots brew better, seasoned better.

Aug 23rd, '13, 00:46

by Tead Off » Aug 23rd, '13, 00:46

chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
high fire is high fire..just like TGY or Wuyi..

High fired pots brew better, seasoned better.
There are differences in high fire. It is not just a generic category. It depends on clay type and what the potter is trying to acheive. Porcelain is a high fired clay. Stoneware is a high fired clay, but the temp is different for both. By your definition, any high fired clay will be good for sheng, yes?

Aug 23rd, '13, 01:01

by yalokinh » Aug 23rd, '13, 01:01

these days I can't imagine going over 90ml on anything . I've gotten so comfortable with the small pots, I'll go bigger with tky, if i ever get tky

+ Post Reply