Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?


Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby b101 » Aug 14th, '13, 11:42

hi, I've searched a lot on the web and haven't found a single online tea store that sells directly fresh new sri lankan black tea... has anyone found a fresh 2013 black tea from sri lanka on the web? if not, what is your favorite store to get sri lanka tea (that sells directly from there)? thanks :wink:
b101
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jun 30th, '

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby Tead Off » Aug 15th, '13, 04:13

It's interesting to me that there are no popular sellers of Sri Lankan teas online in Sri Lanka. There are websites there, but they don't seem to know how to promote their own teas. Even in Sri Lanka, many people have told me the sellers don't know much and have little info about their own teas.

It's a very different scene from Darjeeling where there are online sellers making high quality teas available. This same problem exists in Nepal and Nilgiri Hills where excellent teas are produced but you rarely see them being sold from their respective place of origin.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby b101 » Aug 15th, '13, 04:18

What is really frustrating is that the places i do find, doesn't even display the tea leaves, but only the packging- which i don't care about :roll: .
b101
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jun 30th, '

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby Chip » Aug 15th, '13, 11:23

For ceylon teas, you might find better selections from the sellers specializing in India region teas versus origin sellers anyway.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 21937
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby b101 » Aug 15th, '13, 15:09

Chip wrote:For ceylon teas, you might find better selections from the sellers specializing in India region teas versus origin sellers anyway.


I tried to search on those sites as well , but no good results. I think unless you are a massive importer and can contact the gardens directly , you won't find any fresh ceylon on the web. :(
b101
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jun 30th, '

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby sherubtse » Aug 15th, '13, 15:22

b101 wrote:
Chip wrote:For ceylon teas, you might find better selections from the sellers specializing in India region teas versus origin sellers anyway.


I tried to search on those sites as well , but no good results. I think unless you are a massive importer and can contact the gardens directly , you won't find any fresh ceylon on the web. :(


Which sites have you tried?

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby Chip » Aug 15th, '13, 16:23

b101 wrote:
Chip wrote:For ceylon teas, you might find better selections from the sellers specializing in India region teas versus origin sellers anyway.


I tried to search on those sites as well , but no good results. I think unless you are a massive importer and can contact the gardens directly , you won't find any fresh ceylon on the web. :(

For Ceylon black, I would have to respectfully disagree. Black teas retain freshness longer than most other types of teas.

Searching sites is one thing, but the rubber hits the road in actually tasting of teas. Sometimes you just have to order some and try.

Although I do not buy from Upton anymore since I order mostly greens for which they lack a reputation for freshness, they do have a prety good reputation for India region blacks. There are plenty to choose from as well. :idea:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 21937
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby Chip » Aug 15th, '13, 16:27

... oh, you are not in the USA, are you? USA has plenty of sources for Ceylon black tea, maybe you are not as fortunate?
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 21937
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby b101 » Aug 15th, '13, 16:47

Chip wrote:... oh, you are not in the USA, are you? USA has plenty of sources for Ceylon black tea, maybe you are not as fortunate?


your intuition is right.. i'm not from USA. most of the tea i have, i buy direcly from the origin countries... i still find it a bit odd, that it's very easy to order a 2013 assam/niligri/darjeeling, while in the case of ceylon - it's much more difficult as it seems..
b101
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jun 30th, '

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby Tead Off » Aug 15th, '13, 23:50

b101 wrote:
Chip wrote:... oh, you are not in the USA, are you? USA has plenty of sources for Ceylon black tea, maybe you are not as fortunate?


your intuition is right.. i'm not from USA. most of the tea i have, i buy direcly from the origin countries... i still find it a bit odd, that it's very easy to order a 2013 assam/niligri/darjeeling, while in the case of ceylon - it's much more difficult as it seems..

Where do you find Nilgiri teas in the place of origin?
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby b101 » Aug 16th, '13, 03:07

it's not from the origin place (they located in darjeeling) but it is 2013 and from sf:
http://www.darjeelingteaxpress.com/darj ... lgiri-teas
b101
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jun 30th, '

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby Tead Off » Aug 16th, '13, 04:08

b101 wrote:it's not from the origin place (they located in darjeeling) but it is 2013 and from sf:
http://www.darjeelingteaxpress.com/darj ... lgiri-teas

They are not located in Darjeeling but in the plains about 3 hours south. Their prices are quite high.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Seasonal new tea from sri lanka?

Postby b101 » Aug 16th, '13, 06:12

Tead Off wrote:
b101 wrote:it's not from the origin place (they located in darjeeling) but it is 2013 and from sf:
http://www.darjeelingteaxpress.com/darj ... lgiri-teas

They are not located in Darjeeling but in the plains about 3 hours south. Their prices are quite high.

you are right, i mixed up Darjeeling district with the town itself
b101
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jun 30th, '


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation