Wrappers on old bings

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 8th, '13, 22:09

Wrappers on old bings

by javi_sanchez » Aug 8th, '13, 22:09

How do you guys keep the wrappers in good shape?

The wrapping on a 2008 cake I have already in pretty bad shape. I can't imagine how it will look in 5 more years. I have a 2003 cake where the wrapping is already ripped all along the edges. The wrapping seems to frail! Is this an indication that the storage is too dry?

Aug 9th, '13, 07:33

Re: Wrappers on old bings

by gasninja » Aug 9th, '13, 07:33

I dont think wrapper dryness is a very good way to tell about your storage. Some wrappers just deteriorate taste.I have a few cnnp cakes from the 90's that where wrapped in tissue paper. I usually will take the wrapper off and replace it with a wrapper from a bing that I have already finished or some bings come double wrapped ( I think I sent you an example of one :wink: ) either from the manufacturer or more likely the vendor.

Aug 9th, '13, 20:53
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Aug 9th, '13, 20:53

If you don't have any other wrappers, you could ask a vendor on their next order if they have any around. Often times they will have some wrappers left over from sample cakes or from productions they made.

Another option is to wrap the cakes in a food safe item, like cheese cloth or butcher's paper. I've never actually used butcher's paper to wrap a cake, I am just blindly assuming that if it can hold meat you are going to eat, bumping up against tea would also be ok. I could be wrong though.

Aug 9th, '13, 22:44

by Tead Off » Aug 9th, '13, 22:44

I've used handmade papers with good success. Here in Asia, almost every country has natural paper made from mulberry, rice, etc. You want to use something that has no dyes or bleach, natural. Art supply stores, etc., are places to find these in western countries or maybe on ebay. Japan towns, Chinatowns, Korea towns, etc. I also think asking a vendor is a great way to get an extra supply.

Aug 15th, '13, 20:54

by javi_sanchez » Aug 15th, '13, 20:54

Thanks guys/gals. I think I'll ask the vendors on my next purchase ;) Perhaps Mr. TwoDog will be hearing from me!

Aug 18th, '13, 07:43
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Aug 18th, '13, 07:43

javi_sanchez wrote:Thanks guys/gals. I think I'll ask the vendors on my next purchase ;) Perhaps Mr. TwoDog will be hearing from me!
I will make sure to stash away some wrappers

+ Post Reply