A bad experience from poor storage of pu erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 23rd, '13, 05:10

A bad experience from poor storage of pu erh

by HifideliTea » Aug 23rd, '13, 05:10

I put a bag of '06 loose shu cha into a yixing pot. These bags are used to pack 7 tea cakes. These tea bags are sold in shops in China. The cloth material seems to be made from cotton.
I neglected to check what's inside the pots after moving back from China. After almost 18 months, the teas that's inside the bag that was put inside the yixing pots have turned out to smell of chinese cotton tea bags. And brew just like what it smelled like - yikes! Bad experience.

Another lesson learned - never assume tea bags meant for storing tea cakes are good for storing loose teas.
Would sunning the teas for a week or so bring it back close to it's original flavors?

Aug 23rd, '13, 10:27

Re: A bad experience from poor storage of pu erh

by tst » Aug 23rd, '13, 10:27

I've read of experiences of people airing out teas to try to lose funky smells. At this point, you have nothing to lose to try and let us know your results. Heck, you could divide up the mao cha and try multiple things, while keeping some in the bags in the yixing as a control. Could be very educational ...

Aug 23rd, '13, 20:04

by HifideliTea » Aug 23rd, '13, 20:04

Yes, good idea, let me try that and see what happens to different storage environments.

Aug 25th, '13, 10:08
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Aug 25th, '13, 10:08

HifideliTea wrote:Yes, good idea, let me try that and see what happens to different storage environments.

Definitely try and air it out. You have nothing to lose.

+ Post Reply