Cheap Chinese Green Tea?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 21st, '13, 16:17

Cheap Chinese Green Tea?

by JD » Aug 21st, '13, 16:17

I'm not looking for cheap Chinese green tea, but I'm curious why their green tea is so cheap?

I've looked around Yunnan Sourcing's US and China sites and all of their green tea is super cheap. Some goes for as low as $5 for 250 grams.

They sent me a sample of a couple of their teas ("Bi Luo Chun" and "Mao Feng") the first being $2.25 for 50 grams and the second $3.60 for 50 grams. They're both good tasting teas from 2012, but why the low price on Chinese green teas?

Is it because it takes less work to make them? Or are these all low quality leaves?

Aug 21st, '13, 19:05

Re: Cheap Chinese Green Tea?

by bambooforest » Aug 21st, '13, 19:05

JD wrote:They're both good tasting teas from 2012, but why the low price on Chinese green teas?

Is it because it takes less work to make them? Or are these all low quality leaves?
From what I can gather there are two reasons for the competitive and reasonable prices. I'd word it as the aforementioned instead of "cheap".

1. Yunnan green's aren't famous so they don't fetch as high a price. I'm actually very fond of Yunnan greens and will continue to enjoy them.

2. Yunnan Sourcing sells their teas closer to what they go for in the Nation of origin. Most vendors that cater to other countries mark their teas up more and this is why you're finding such competitive prices.

I find his green tea's very well made and at great prices. I actually like them more than many of the more famous teas.

Aug 22nd, '13, 09:51

by Evan Draper » Aug 22nd, '13, 09:51

What bf said, and
JD wrote:They're from 2012

Aug 23rd, '13, 20:44

by chrl42 » Aug 23rd, '13, 20:44

Good greens are not cheap in China...'specially the famous ones.
Yunnan green's aren't famous
Most of Yunnan leaves are Big-Leaf-Variety..which fall under camelia assamica..if make greens with it..the flavor can be very bitter.

The bitter ones on the other hand, age better..that's how people started to like Yunnan leaves (Puerh)

Aug 23rd, '13, 21:22

by bambooforest » Aug 23rd, '13, 21:22

chrl42 wrote:Good greens are not cheap in China...'specially the famous ones.
Yes, I understand this. However, the prices in China are going to usually be significantly less expensive than what you find online.

Yunnan greens can be awesome. Maybe you never had any quality ones. Or maybe you didn't brew them in a way that is conducive to making a good cup. I've had greens from all different regions of China and all different prices and Yunnan greens score among the highest.

Aug 23rd, '13, 21:33

by chrl42 » Aug 23rd, '13, 21:33

bambooforest wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Good greens are not cheap in China...'specially the famous ones.
Yes, I understand this. However, the prices in China are going to usually be significantly less expensive than what you find online.

Yunnan greens can be awesome. Maybe you never had any quality ones. Or maybe you didn't brew them in a way that is conducive to making a good cup. I've had greens from all different regions of China and all different prices and Yunnan greens score among the highest.
OK...have a good tea life.. :D

Aug 23rd, '13, 21:58

by chrl42 » Aug 23rd, '13, 21:58

just wondering...I confess I haven't had much history with Yunnan green.

Do they use Small-Leaf (Xiao Ye Zhong) or Yunnan normal Big-Leaf...or are they early-bud (嫩芽)?

I've had some green styles of Big-Leaf..like many other Big-Leaf..they were pretty stimulative...or are they Small-Leaf (like other common Japanese, Chinese greens)?.. just wondered.. :roll:

Aug 23rd, '13, 23:20

by bambooforest » Aug 23rd, '13, 23:20

From the ones I've tried, here are two that I thought were particularly good:

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/greentea/2 ... nyuan.html

and...

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/greentea/2 ... n-tea.html

I'm sure Yunnan has a lot of crappy greens just like any region, but the good ones are quite good in my assessment.

Aug 23rd, '13, 23:29

by chrl42 » Aug 23rd, '13, 23:29

bambooforest wrote:From the ones I've tried, here are two that I thought were particularly good:

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/greentea/2 ... nyuan.html

and...

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/greentea/2 ... n-tea.html

I'm sure Yunnan has a lot of crappy greens just like any region, but the good ones are quite good in my assessment.
Looks like young bud made of Large-Leaf variety. I've tried this kind before..They are pretty acceptible..

My favorite was very early Ziya (purple-bud)..acceptible before they grow stronger.. :)

Thanks buddy for great sources :)

Nov 11th, '13, 05:50

by Puerlife » Nov 11th, '13, 05:50

I drank a lot of green tea when I lived in Japan but never learned anything about it. I discovered shu puer a while ago and have been drinking that but lately have tended to reach for a rather good Japanese green that someone gave me. I am going to order several kinds from Scott at YS because he was so helpful with my puer order and because I don't have the budget to buy top shelf Japanese greens. Soooo, could you all help me out and recommend some YS green teas? All price levels are welcome. I already have put the two the bamboo forest linked to in my cart.

Nov 11th, '13, 07:52

by Mureke » Nov 11th, '13, 07:52

Puerlife wrote: Soooo, could you all help me out and recommend some YS green teas? .
I can tell you what not to get. I decided to go wild and try the 2013 Autumn "Long Mei" Yunnan Green Tea of Feng Qing. It turned out to be nothing like the "Long Mei" linked to above. Even the photo given of the autumn Long Mei is actually a photo of the spring Zhenyuan Long Mei or some other generic Long Mei.

The stuff I got had an unprecedented fruity and sweet smell to the dry leaves. Once wet, the leaves appeared covered with black particles. They seem to originate the leaves themselves, which have parts that are as if rotten with brown/black edges. The first infusion is extremely sweet to the point of being nauseating - there is no balance. In contrast, subsequent steepings quickly develop an overpoweringly smoky flavor.

Nov 11th, '13, 09:46

by Puerlife » Nov 11th, '13, 09:46

Yikes, that's terrible. I'll put that in the don't buy list. Sounds like you deserve a refund or replacement.

Nov 12th, '13, 03:57

by Mureke » Nov 12th, '13, 03:57

Puerlife wrote:Yikes, that's terrible. I'll put that in the don't buy list. Sounds like you deserve a refund or replacement.
The oolongs I got with my order were pretty decent, so I'm not that dissatisfied overall. It does make me wonder if this autumn long mei is an exception, or if this sort of quality to to be expected for YS or Yunnan greens in general - I believe some smokiness is to be expected, but leaves disintegrating into suspicious particles shouldn't be. I haven't had any Yunnan greens before, and I don't think I'll dare try another time. It was certainly the cheapest tea I've ever bought.

Nov 12th, '13, 09:46

by Puerlife » Nov 12th, '13, 09:46

Well, I'm going to order a few greens from YS since the price is right and I want to order some other stuff from him anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out. Can you recommend any of his oolongs? Or maybe it's not cool to say in the green forum?

Nov 12th, '13, 11:37

by MEversbergII » Nov 12th, '13, 11:37

I tried some YS greens. Yunnan is not a great green tea producing region.

M.

+ Post Reply