Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 25th, '13, 16:48

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by JRS22 » Aug 25th, '13, 16:48

My Andzrej Bero Hobin which right now contains the last of my Tai Ping Hou Kui. The ash glaze is a blue-grey, but the blue tinge is lost in my poorly lit kitchen. This 100 ml Hobin is glazed inside so its excellent for Chinese greens. The matte textured glaze has an interesting slightly rough feel.

Aug 25th, '13, 22:24

by debunix » Aug 25th, '13, 22:24

Another lovely piece.

Aug 26th, '13, 02:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Aug 26th, '13, 02:41

Start the day with some Long Jing Shi Feng - Supreme 2012.

Aug 26th, '13, 14:50

by Stentor » Aug 26th, '13, 14:50

Chip wrote:I had a bag of Shincha SM from Kagoshima from O-Cha sitting here and decided to give this a go with the adjusted parameters. Outstanding!!! Better than any previous attempts with O-Cha's Kagoshima SM.

I would say that the Shizuoka offering is more veggie while the Kagoshima offering is sweeter. Both really good but different!
Sounds good! I have a bag of O-Cha's Kagoshima Sae Midori here just waiting to be opened. However, I'll have to wait another two weeks or so until I give it a try as I'm taking a voluntary abstinence from caffeine at the moment (dont' worry - it's just an experiment). As you can imagine, I'm really looking forward to having some sencha again! I'll be sure to give your brewing parameters a try.

It's always interesting to read about the adjustments others are making to their brewing habits. Increasing the amount of leaf is something probably all of us are doing over time. I know I am using more than I used to. I remember when I was overwhelmed by a 1:1 ratio with most teas a few years ago. Now that's my baseline. I've also not been preheating the kyusu lately or I just give it a quick rinse, so that it doesn't heat up all that much. I like it but maybe just because it's easier this way.

Aug 27th, '13, 12:21

by puerhking » Aug 27th, '13, 12:21

Tai Ping Hou Kui from DTH which is tasting pretty good on this hot day.

I find it interesting that pan fried greens seem to need a few weeks to a month, after opening, to really sing. Any one else notice this?

Aug 27th, '13, 17:27

by Chip » Aug 27th, '13, 17:27

puerhking wrote:Tai Ping Hou Kui from DTH which is tasting pretty good on this hot day.

I find it interesting that pan fried greens seem to need a few weeks to a month, after opening, to really sing. Any one else notice this?
Yes, this can be the case IF they are fresh to begin with ... and well stored. I even noticed that sometimes a Chinese green can sit in its original package and improve. I am sure this is not a rule of thumb however, but I noticed this with a Zhu Ye Qing from TeaSpring a number of years ago.

One member noted to me that his uber fresh ZYQ was smoky and not particularly enjoyable. I did not open mine for around 9 months and it was an instant fave 5 Chinese green selection for me.

Aug 27th, '13, 22:15

by debunix » Aug 27th, '13, 22:15

I just had a lovely session today with a batch of An Ji Bai Cha that was certainly from the 2012 harvest, and it was delicate, mellow, sweet and fragrant.

Aug 29th, '13, 11:53

by debunix » Aug 29th, '13, 11:53

Revisiting the OTTI-17 gyo (I got double samples, so glad I did), enjoying Zencha's Ultimate this morning. It is bright, a little fruity, a little floral, a lot vegetal, and brewing it in my favorite Petr Novak shiboridashi seems to bring out the best in it:

Aug 29th, '13, 15:59

by bambooforest » Aug 29th, '13, 15:59

puerhking wrote:Tai Ping Hou Kui from DTH which is tasting pretty good on this hot day.

Today I'm drinking organic Miyazaki asamushi from O-cha. This is my best session so far and it has been open for a week or two. The taste is deeper than I remember earlier sessions which leads me to believe it has improved with a small bit of aging. This is a pretty nice asamushi at a good price by the way.

But as Chip has said... the tea needs to be fresh at the start to enjoy the improvements some greens experience after being opened for a bit.

Aug 30th, '13, 14:35

by kikula » Aug 30th, '13, 14:35

JRS22 wrote:My Andzrej Bero Hobin which right now contains the last of my Tai Ping Hou Kui. The ash glaze is a blue-grey, but the blue tinge is lost in my poorly lit kitchen. This 100 ml Hobin is glazed inside so its excellent for Chinese greens. The matte textured glaze has an interesting slightly rough feel.

So you're the culprit. :) I was a moment too slow - it's a very neat and pretty little piece. Watching the mail for cups, though; I love Andrzej's work. The teapots of his that I have are both glazed and very nice for greens.

Sep 15th, '13, 14:04

by AdamMY » Sep 15th, '13, 14:04

Wow, in the middle of a wonderful session of Yamashita Jirushi (at least I think that is the right one, the most budget friendly of the Yamashita gyokuro). It is so good, and hitting the spot incredibly well on this cool fall day. Light persistent drizzle, leaves starting to change, and a temperature that is in the mid to high 50's. Mmmm gotta love fall!

Sep 15th, '13, 15:12

by mcrdotcom » Sep 15th, '13, 15:12

Gunpowder "Temple of Heaven" from House of Tea, Dragonwell and Jade Snow :) The Jade Snow is peculiar, kind of has a sweet taste, and quite astringent!

Sep 17th, '13, 12:16

by JRS22 » Sep 17th, '13, 12:16

I've been away from home for 2 weeks with no real tea, just chamomile tisane. It was the only hardship of a great vacation but now that I'm home I'm enjoying some Shi Feng long Jing in my beautiful Kim Eung Chui copper glazed pot and server. The photo doesn't do them justice, but its not bad for the camera in an iPad 2.

While I'm enjoying the tea it's never my favorite. I greatly prefer AnJi Bai Cha and TPHK among Chinese greens.

Sep 18th, '13, 00:44

by debunix » Sep 18th, '13, 00:44

First 'morning sencha' in ages today, courtesy of O-Cha, Tsuen Aoi. Nice, although I was a bit too timid eyeballing the leaf. Need to weigh for a bit, again, until my "sencha eye" is recalibrated.

Sep 18th, '13, 11:42

by amaranto » Sep 18th, '13, 11:42

. . . Kim Eung Chui copper glazed pot . . . .
Love the pot!

+ Post Reply