Aug 24th, '13, 23:22

Drinking tea at night...

by sdsgibb » Aug 24th, '13, 23:22

Hello All,

Ok so here is my problem... Tea

I like to drink Tea. I drink it in the morning, lunchtime, evenings and everywhere in between...

The problem is at 1am in the morning I often find myself staring into the obsess of my soul (which I dont mind - but if Im trying to get up at 5am it is not ideal)...

How can I drink tea throughout the day and NOT spend the evenings unable to sleep???

Ive read a couple of things on this point
1) 80% of caffeine is extracted in the first 30 seconds - in a gong fu styled ceremony, for the first steep/wash of the leaves do it for 45 seconds then discard and continue to drink.
2) Place a spoon full of sugar under your tongue just before you get into bed
3) give yourself a talking too e.g. 'Ive had a natural substance, that's good for me. Its natural to feel this way, just relax and enjoy the feeling'
4) dont drink at night
5) Roasted tea has less caffeine than greener tea

What do you guys do at night? Not drink? Or does caffeine not really affect you? Do you have any low/no caffeine teas for the evenings?

looking for tips or ideas to keep drinking gong fu style throughout the evening and still being able to sleep so I can wake up and keep going the next day!

Cheerios
Sam

Aug 25th, '13, 01:36

Re: Drinking tea at night...

by debunix » Aug 25th, '13, 01:36

Past a certain point, I will continue a gongfu session, but won't start a new one. Or, I might concoct a caffeine-free herbal mix and brew that up.

Aug 25th, '13, 02:32

by wyardley » Aug 25th, '13, 02:32

I think if you're caffeine-sensitive, it's best to avoid drinking much tea after early afternoon.

Aug 25th, '13, 02:55

by bambooforest » Aug 25th, '13, 02:55

It's my understanding that 80% of caffeine in tea isn't extracted in the first 30 seconds... and that ended up being a myth when it was finally tested in a laboratory.

Aug 25th, '13, 03:26

by sdsgibb » Aug 25th, '13, 03:26

bambooforest wrote:It's my understanding that 80% of caffeine in tea isn't extracted in the first 30 seconds... and that ended up being a myth when it was finally tested in a laboratory.

cool - awesome feedback... must have been placebo when I tried it :D
debunix wrote:Past a certain point, I will continue a gongfu session, but won't start a new one. Or, I might concoct a caffeine-free herbal mix and brew that up.
What sort of herbal mix are we talking? Brewing in a gaiwan?
wyardley wrote:I think if you're caffeine-sensitive, it's best to avoid drinking much tea after early afternoon.
Im wondering if I drink enough this will change :)

Aug 25th, '13, 09:59

by NPE » Aug 25th, '13, 09:59

I am very lucky as caffeine does not really affect me. My mum however is extremely sensitive to caffeine, with racing heart and sleepless nights as the symptoms. I recommended hojicha to her and she loves it... and the best thing is that it seems to not affect her at all. So I would recommend giving hojicha a try, with Ippodo being the tried and tested supplier.

Aug 25th, '13, 10:10

by Teaism » Aug 25th, '13, 10:10

Well, it depends on how tea affect you. After some time, your tolerence increase and you would be able to sleep better. Sometimes, I have a 8 hours continous tea tasting until 3am in the morning and knock off to sleep instantly. :D

Aug 25th, '13, 12:15

by debunix » Aug 25th, '13, 12:15

sdsgibb wrote:How can I drink tea throughout the day and NOT spend the evenings unable to sleep???
When in a state of sufficient sleep deprivation, it often works just fine. But when not.....
sdsgibb wrote:
debunix wrote:Past a certain point, I will continue a gongfu session, but won't start a new one. Or, I might concoct a caffeine-free herbal mix and brew that up.
What sort of herbal mix are we talking? Brewing in a gaiwan?
Most of the time when I prepare something herbal, I start with chamomile, which has so many fine bits that I resort to a large glass teapot with a metal strainer insert. As for what herbal mix, I keep a collection of various dried ingredients on hand, things I recognize from the ingredients sections of various teas I've liked or read about in other contexts--chamomile, hibiscus, mint, tulsi (holy basil), citrus peel, rose hips, licorice root, linden flowers, gamro (hydrangea leaf), etc--and mix n' match those based on my mood, perhaps with a bit of whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, cloves) or fresh ingredients (lemon, ginger root, lemon grass, rosemary). It's all pretty whimsical but usually quite tasty, sometimes very much so.

Aug 25th, '13, 19:30

by hobnob » Aug 25th, '13, 19:30

I get away with the caffeine, doesn't bother me. Only thing is that having a few cups right before bed means I have a very full bladder not long after so that disturbs my sleep instead :mrgreen:

Aug 26th, '13, 01:48

by Peacock » Aug 26th, '13, 01:48

As already suggested you can try Hojicha as a tea for late evenings. I find it to be very relaxing with its strong woodsy aroma.

Aug 26th, '13, 04:22

by kikula » Aug 26th, '13, 04:22

Teaism wrote:Well, it depends on how tea affect you. After some time, your tolerence increase and you would be able to sleep better. Sometimes, I have a 8 hours continous tea tasting until 3am in the morning and knock off to sleep instantly. :D
It appears to be 4:17 AM, hm. Eh, I'm retired and can catnap all day. Just one more pot, so peaceful, just me and the crickets...

Aug 26th, '13, 12:27

by jextxadore » Aug 26th, '13, 12:27

I drink tea all day without consequences, but I think I have my grandpa to thank for that — he insisted I start drinking tea during meals at a relatively young age (probably around the time I started school) to increase my caffeine tolerance.

And I used to drink almost a litre of coke a day (I quit cold-turkey 5 years ago), which I'm sure changed me a bit.

So yes, I think you eventually do just get used to it.

I have very few problems sleeping at night — these days I'm either totally relaxed (tea and yoga before bed), or tipsy and falling asleep standing (as was the case that other night after no-one knows how many drinks I had :lol: I actually got home and drank a few cups of tea before bed. Can't remember which type…obviously.)

Aug 26th, '13, 13:27

by amaranto » Aug 26th, '13, 13:27

What do you guys do at night? Not drink?
I have the same problem as you, so I try to drink peppermint tea, rooibos, or something else with no caffeine at night. Sometimes, I'll continue steeping something I've already started, hoping that most of the caffeine is gone after four or five steeps :lol:

Aug 27th, '13, 07:23

by jextxadore » Aug 27th, '13, 07:23

amaranto wrote:
What do you guys do at night? Not drink?
I have the same problem as you, so I try to drink peppermint tea, rooibos, or something else with no caffeine at night. Sometimes, I'll continue steeping something I've already started, hoping that most of the caffeine is gone after four or five steeps :lol:
Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps? I find any tea greener than Anxi TGY loses it after the 4th.

Aug 27th, '13, 08:42

by sdsgibb » Aug 27th, '13, 08:42

jextxadore wrote:Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps?
Mmm maybe Im doing it wrong but I go up to 9 on a good high mountain oolong, at least 5 on most my puerh and other oolongs...

By steeps you just mean number of times you pour water in the pot??

+ Post Reply