OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"

Postby NPE » Aug 22nd, '13, 15:26

After some silence due to my life being made more interesting by an over-active little kitten which annexed house and inhabitants, I decided that it was high time to share with you my delight and extreme enjoyment of the Da Yu Ling 95K - WOW!!!
My intent to keep exact track of all different fragrances and flavours imparted by this tea was simply swept away by the total enjoyment of it.
Of course it did help that I had some wonderful tewaware to help:
Attachments
Kim Eung Cheol - George Watson - Mirka.jpg
Kim Eung Cheol - George Watson - Mirka.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
NPE

Postby debunix » Aug 22nd, '13, 15:35

Easy to see how you might be distracted during that session!
debunix

Postby AdamMY » Aug 26th, '13, 19:10

I know this wasn't offically part of the tasting. But today I opened some Private Collection 102K Da Yu Ling.

Private Collection 102K Da Yu Ling (2) by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

I brewed this tea pretty horribly, but it was still incredibly delicious. I got the first infusion spot on, then messed up 2 through 7 and finally got back on track around infusion 8 or so. This tea has one heck of an aroma, and taste to go with it. Sweet, buttery, incredibly long after taste, and great hui gan. Even though the tea was being brewed incredibly strong, I kept on wishing I had 2x to 3x as much tea in each cup.
AdamMY

Postby hopeofdawn » Aug 27th, '13, 11:12

My tastings got interrupted by a summer vacation, so I'm just now getting back into the swing. I haven't been keeping as close track of my temps or infusions--generally I'm starting around the 205-195F mark for the first infusion, backing off a little for the 2-3 infusions, and bringing it back up again for the remainder.

I have finished off my Cui Lan sample--a lovely green oolong, with a very nice perfume. The broth wasn't quite as heady/thick as some of the other samples, but still had a fair amount of staying power, both on the tongue and over multiple infusions. A very easy tea to brew--I really had to abuse it before it turned bitter on me.

I've also just started my Fushoushan sample, and so far I'm really impressed. It's a really nice tea--it reminds me a bit of Alisan, with a lot of subtle notes, and a nice mouthfeel. I'll try to write up more thoughts as I finish the sample and can pay more attention to exactly what I'm doing. :)
hopeofdawn

Postby wert » Sep 2nd, '13, 06:53

I think I am a little late on this one. I am very new to the forum, so I wonder if this round is still available. I have tried some taiwanese oolong but only up to Dong Ting and a few samples of Li Shan. I am quite curious to find out what the fuss is about with these expensive really high mountains one.

I have read the first post and understand the ordering instructions. Hopefully, it is still available. :)
wert

Postby debunix » Sep 2nd, '13, 10:43

I think this round is no longer available--Chip usually does not send them out until all the tea is accounted for--but the individual teas may be ordered from origintea.com. I just put in my first order from them last night.
debunix

Postby wert » Sep 2nd, '13, 11:01

That's OK, I just need to be faster on the take next time. :D I would check out their website then.
wert

Postby debunix » Sep 2nd, '13, 11:11

Review this post and you'll be all set for the next round.

I am really looking forward to more Da Yu Ling, Cui Luan, Long Feng Xia Shan Lin Xi, and a couple of other things that snuck into my cart.
debunix

Postby Chip » Sep 2nd, '13, 12:24

I believe everyone was very pleased with this round from Origin Teas. So even though you did miss the tasting, you can learn a bit about Origin, the owner who is a member, and prepare your own order with confidence! :idea: :mrgreen: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby debunix » Sep 7th, '13, 18:02

First order from Origin Tea arrived quickly and now my teacup runneth over with high mountain oolongs and a puerh that snuck in somehow....but I just opened a new packet of Alishan from Norbu yesterday, not thinking this order would arrive so quickly, so will have to be patient before tearing into these, as they're way too wonderful to sit open and waste their freshness. With the heat wave continuing, however, a I think I may be able to justify opening a packet of the cui luan for some truly brilliant cool-brewed tea.
debunix

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions