Aug 27th, '13, 08:47

Re: Drinking tea at night...

by sdsgibb » Aug 27th, '13, 08:47

debunix wrote:
sdsgibb wrote:How can I drink tea throughout the day and NOT spend the evenings unable to sleep???
When in a state of sufficient sleep deprivation, it often works just fine. But when not.....
sdsgibb wrote:
debunix wrote:Past a certain point, I will continue a gongfu session, but won't start a new one. Or, I might concoct a caffeine-free herbal mix and brew that up.
What sort of herbal mix are we talking? Brewing in a gaiwan?
Most of the time when I prepare something herbal, I start with chamomile, which has so many fine bits that I resort to a large glass teapot with a metal strainer insert. As for what herbal mix, I keep a collection of various dried ingredients on hand, things I recognize from the ingredients sections of various teas I've liked or read about in other contexts--chamomile, hibiscus, mint, tulsi (holy basil), citrus peel, rose hips, licorice root, linden flowers, gamro (hydrangea leaf), etc--and mix n' match those based on my mood, perhaps with a bit of whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, cloves) or fresh ingredients (lemon, ginger root, lemon grass, rosemary). It's all pretty whimsical but usually quite tasty, sometimes very much so.

Sounds good, have a gong fu porclein pot en route will try this when it gets here! Have some tulsi growing around the place!
NPE wrote:hojicha
Will give it a go! Have a Japanese pot I never use laying around

Aug 27th, '13, 12:55

by amaranto » Aug 27th, '13, 12:55

Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps? I find any tea greener than Anxi TGY loses it after the 4th.
I always get more than five from puer, sometimes an extra from Bai Mu Dan, usually from Dong Dings and from good Mi Lan Dan Congs, and sometimes from a few of the Chinese reds I have.

I agree that the greener teas generally loose flavour around steep number four. I usually don't get more than three out of most of them, but I don't drink green tea or green oolongs very much.

Aug 27th, '13, 15:34

by debunix » Aug 27th, '13, 15:34

jextxadore wrote:Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps? I find any tea greener than Anxi TGY loses it after the 4th.
Deep roasted oolongs and powerful puerhs can have a very pleasing and long 'sweetwater' phase, where the infusions are very delicate and subtle, and some of us like those enough to prolong the infusions to 20 or 30 or more, and some find them to bland and stop sooner. But green teas and greener oolongs just don't have that kind of stamina.

Aug 29th, '13, 16:22

by Suutej_Tsaj » Aug 29th, '13, 16:22

Definitely hojicha, cheap, sweet and (almost) caffeine-free. Also, if you can find it, hibiscus tea is delicious and has a calming effect.
Or you could try jextxadore's grandpa's way. Might take a bit and loads of sleepless nights, though.

Aug 29th, '13, 21:51

by sdsgibb » Aug 29th, '13, 21:51

Suutej_Tsaj wrote:Definitely hojicha, cheap, sweet and (almost) caffeine-free.
Does it have that japenese 'fishing' green tea smell and flavour?

Aug 29th, '13, 23:27

by jextxadore » Aug 29th, '13, 23:27

debunix wrote:
jextxadore wrote:Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps? I find any tea greener than Anxi TGY loses it after the 4th.
Deep roasted oolongs and powerful puerhs can have a very pleasing and long 'sweetwater' phase, where the infusions are very delicate and subtle, and some of us like those enough to prolong the infusions to 20 or 30 or more, and some find them to bland and stop sooner. But green teas and greener oolongs just don't have that kind of stamina.
I have yet to find time to infuse pu-erh 30 times…will find the time one day though.
amaranto wrote:
Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps? I find any tea greener than Anxi TGY loses it after the 4th.
I always get more than five from puer, sometimes an extra from Bai Mu Dan, usually from Dong Dings and from good Mi Lan Dan Congs, and sometimes from a few of the Chinese reds I have.

I agree that the greener teas generally loose flavour around steep number four. I usually don't get more than three out of most of them, but I don't drink green tea or green oolongs very much.
And I almost always drink green oolongs (because we have too much at home).
sdsgibb wrote:
jextxadore wrote:Which teas do you manage to continue for 4–5 steeps?
Mmm maybe Im doing it wrong but I go up to 9 on a good high mountain oolong, at least 5 on most my puerh and other oolongs...

By steeps you just mean number of times you pour water in the pot??
Well, how many times you pour water in and out for drinking.

Aug 30th, '13, 13:43

by Suutej_Tsaj » Aug 30th, '13, 13:43

sdsgibb wrote:
So far I've never found a Japanese green that smelled even remotely like fish. In any case, hojicha stands out of the family when it comes to smell and flavour: it tastes like chocolate.

Aug 30th, '13, 20:32

by sdsgibb » Aug 30th, '13, 20:32

Suutej_Tsaj wrote:
sdsgibb wrote:
So far I've never found a Japanese green that smelled even remotely like fish. In any case, hojicha stands out of the family when it comes to smell and flavour: it tastes like chocolate.

haha yea I heard people say this - nori, seaweed flavour others describe it as

Sep 1st, '13, 14:27

by jextxadore » Sep 1st, '13, 14:27

Suutej_Tsaj wrote:
sdsgibb wrote:
Chocolate? I'd like to try that hojicha. Mine tastes like…wood. :lol:

+ Post Reply