Toasted pu'erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 4th, '13, 11:55

Toasted pu'erh

by MEversbergII » Sep 4th, '13, 11:55

A long time ago, toasting the dark tea was standard procedure. This is because of the way it was made, and to kill any bugs that also liked pu. However, nothing says modern pu can't be toasted before infusion. Does anyone practice this? How does it influence the flavor? How does it change the mechanical properties of the leaves? Do you find this a way of improving the tea before consumption?

M.

Sep 4th, '13, 19:22
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Toasted pu'erh

by Drax » Sep 4th, '13, 19:22

Teaism might chime in on this one, but when I was in Singapore, one of the tea shop owners there often 'roasted' older pu'erh -- he would put the tea in a clay vessel and then shake the vessel over an open flame (a sterno-like lamp) for about 4-5 minutes. He said that it would help to shake off any musty storage qualities and help wake the tea up. I could certainly tell a difference in the before and after aroma. I wasn't able to compare the difference in the brew, though, so I can't tell you (from my personal experience) whether it changed the quality of the brew.

Sep 4th, '13, 20:23

by Exempt » Sep 4th, '13, 20:23

Drax wrote:Teaism might chime in on this one, but when I was in Singapore, one of the tea shop owners there often 'roasted' older pu'erh -- he would put the tea in a clay vessel and then shake the vessel over an open flame (a sterno-like lamp) for about 4-5 minutes. He said that it would help to shake off any musty storage qualities and help wake the tea up. I could certainly tell a difference in the before and after aroma. I wasn't able to compare the difference in the brew, though, so I can't tell you (from my personal experience) whether it changed the quality of the brew.
This sounds Like what you are describing
http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/te ... -guan.html
http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/te ... -guan.html

Sep 5th, '13, 00:22

by wert » Sep 5th, '13, 00:22

Drax is describing the tea refresher. Example

Sep 5th, '13, 02:10

by Teaism » Sep 5th, '13, 02:10

Drax wrote:Teaism might chime in on this one, but when I was in Singapore, one of the tea shop owners there often 'roasted' older pu'erh -- he would put the tea in a clay vessel and then shake the vessel over an open flame (a sterno-like lamp) for about 4-5 minutes. He said that it would help to shake off any musty storage qualities and help wake the tea up. I could certainly tell a difference in the before and after aroma. I wasn't able to compare the difference in the brew, though, so I can't tell you (from my personal experience) whether it changed the quality of the brew.
Hi Drax

Great to meet and have tea with u in Singapore. :wink:

Yes tea roasting and tea refreshing is a norm for me. Almost all Yancha and older Puer are refreshed for every brew for me. The art of refreshing is also interesting and take a lot of practice.

I have a 20 years SX which smell and taste quite bad before refreshing but after refreshing and toasting it taste really good. I keep this tea to show as an example the big effect and benefit of refreshing and toasting tea.

Sep 5th, '13, 11:09

by Evan Draper » Sep 5th, '13, 11:09

Dang those look like some hardened junkies in those photos--is the "ceramist" smoking out of that thing?

Sep 5th, '13, 11:37

by Teaism » Sep 5th, '13, 11:37

wert wrote:Drax is describing the tea refresher. Example
Yes it is the same one that I am using. My fav tea utensil. :D

Sep 5th, '13, 11:49

by MEversbergII » Sep 5th, '13, 11:49

Ok, both of those things are pretty neat. They seem to serve very similar purposes, though, with the difference being that the one at Chawang being also used as a brewing apparatus. I might have to get myself one of those - I just got a firepit and was looking about for useful kettles, so why not?

M.

Sep 5th, '13, 11:59

by Teaism » Sep 5th, '13, 11:59

Get it my friend and I assure you it is one of the best tool to enhance your tea. :D

Sep 5th, '13, 12:48

by wert » Sep 5th, '13, 12:48

Famous Lin's Ceramic Studio = 陶作坊, right? I am still lusting after their 同心杯, the price and the deep fear of breaking it...

I am also wondering if their kettle is worth the investment and a hotplate, no way I am playing with alcohol again. :D Very tempting but the more practical (and stingy) side tells me kamjove works and works well.

Sep 5th, '13, 13:07

by Teaism » Sep 5th, '13, 13:07

wert wrote:Famous Lin's Ceramic Studio = 陶作坊, right? I am still lusting after their 同心杯, the price and the deep fear of breaking it...

I am also wondering if their kettle is worth the investment and a hotplate, no way I am playing with alcohol again. :D Very tempting but the more practical (and stingy) side tells me kamjove works and works well.
Lin ceramic older batch of Purion kettle is really great. It makes the water sweeter and great for water boiling. I bought 5 of them when they running out of stock and stop production for that batch. So far I damaged 2 and down with 3 which I am extremely careful with it. I got 2 of the new Purion but they lack the "gusto" of the old model.

As for the refresher, the older model is the best. I have the old models and new models and made the comparison. It is really the best utensil to own.

Sep 5th, '13, 15:48

by JakubT » Sep 5th, '13, 15:48

wert wrote:Famous Lin's Ceramic Studio = 陶作坊, right? I am still lusting after their 同心杯, the price and the deep fear of breaking it...

I think that Chaozhou stove & kettle make better water anyway... and are easier and cheaper to get (via Chawangshop) too...

Sep 5th, '13, 22:06

by wert » Sep 5th, '13, 22:06

Teaism wrote: Lin ceramic older batch of Purion kettle is really great. It makes the water sweeter and great for water boiling. I bought 5 of them when they running out of stock and stop production for that batch. So far I damaged 2 and down with 3 which I am extremely careful with it. I got 2 of the new Purion but they lack the "gusto" of the old model.
Are you using it with alcohol or hot plate? Can the Purion one be used with a hot plate? I know some of the cheaper models could be used with a hotplate and some only with the alcohol stove. 5 at a time and 7 in total! I guess you really like it!
I think that Chaozhou stove & kettle make better water anyway... and are easier and cheaper to get (via Chawangshop) too...
I am sure but if alcohol stove is too much trouble for me, no way I handle the charcoal one. I doubt these can be matched with a hotplate too. I am lazy human in a modern environment. :)

Sep 5th, '13, 22:07
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 5th, '13, 22:07

Evan Draper wrote: Dang those look like some hardened junkies in those photos--is the "ceramist" smoking out of that thing?
lol that is a traditional Chinese water pipe (for tobacco), but I've never seen one that big and wide. They are lit with Chinese incense sticks, which don't smell anywhere near as strong as the Indian or American kind, so they don't flavor the tobacco too muchI want a monster one like that! I have one that is much simpler, and the top of the bowl is capped with brass from an AK shell casing. Pretty cool, and works a treat. :)

Sep 5th, '13, 22:36

by Teaism » Sep 5th, '13, 22:36

[quote="wert"][quote="Teaism"]
Are you using it with alcohol or hot plate? Can the Purion one be used with a hot plate? I know some of the cheaper models could be used with a hotplate and some only with the alcohol stove. 5 at a time and 7 in total! I guess you really like it![quote]

I use alchohol burner or a small butane burner (from my little fondue set) for refreshing the tea. Alchohol burner is quite easy to use. I have a few hot plate but frugal over its use as the electrical tariff here is super high.

+ Post Reply