An introduction and a question

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Sep 15th, '13, 10:15

An introduction and a question

by Scamp » Sep 15th, '13, 10:15

Hello.

I've mostly been lurking around this board for a few months or so and it's been very helpful to me. But now the time has come that I have a question of my own that I can't possibly solve with a search function. I was wondering if you could help me with this.

I recently received a tea as a gift by someone who got it as a gift from Chinese people he did business with. I've sampled the tea, but being relatively new to anything other than Western style blacks and humble greens I can't really place it. Could any of you help me identify it and give me some advice how to brew it?

Thanks in advance.

Here's the tea: http://s22.postimg.org/gtd1j74v5/tea_gift.jpg

Sep 15th, '13, 11:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: An introduction and a question

by Chip » Sep 15th, '13, 11:15

Welcome to the forum.

It appears to be a "Long Jing" or Dragon Well green tea from China, though I am not familiar with the labeling.

There are several ways to brew Long Jing. I most often will brew around 2 heaping teaspoons (3-4 grams) per 4 ounces 160ish degree water for around a minute. Multiple steepings.

Another method, "grandpa style." Place tea in a tallish glass and pour cooler water into the glass. Sip directly from the glass. When it is down to around 1/4 left, add more water ...

Sep 15th, '13, 11:40

by Scamp » Sep 15th, '13, 11:40

Thanks Chip!

The thing is though, I've had Long Jing, and this seems different. The structure of the leaf seems the same, but the leaves are much more of a pale greyish yellow when brewed. The liquor seems somewhat white tea-ish. It also easily turns very astringent and harsh if I don't brew it coolly and carefully enough. It's delicate but unforgiving. The scent of the dry leaf is very peculiar and pretty strong but I can't place it. Other white tea I had didn't smell like this, but then again those weren't Long Jings.

Could it be a white Long Jing? Also, do you happen to now if there are members of this board who can read the Chinese info on the can?

Sep 15th, '13, 12:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 15th, '13, 12:12

That is why I posted it as "Long Jing." :mrgreen:

There are the authentic Long Jing and the imitators. There is extreme variability in Long Jing selections. A dear TC friend who recently passed away posted about a "deer Jerky Long Jing" ... and stuff in tins can be simply awful. Not that yours is one of those.

I actually did have a selection called Bai Long Jing indicating the whiter leaves. But this was an indication of the cultivar used and not the processing. It was actually pretty good.

Sep 15th, '13, 12:26

by debunix » Sep 15th, '13, 12:26

It does look like a Long Jing, and I've certainly had Long Jing teas that were very unforgiving, and some that brewed yellower and some greener liquors--the fanciest (priciest) Long Jing from my local tea shop was nuttier but also harsher to my taste than a cheaper version which was more vegetal and easier to brew well.

Sep 15th, '13, 14:03

by mcrdotcom » Sep 15th, '13, 14:03

Chip wrote:Another method, "grandpa style." Place tea in a tallish glass and pour cooler water into the glass. Sip directly from the glass. When it is down to around 1/4 left, add more water ...
How cool would you have the water? I've heard of doing this before and I've wanted to try, but I've never tried because I didn't know what temperature to use!

Sep 15th, '13, 14:05

by Scamp » Sep 15th, '13, 14:05

Thanks guys, it's nice to have at least some idea about what I've been drinking. I'll tread lightly next session and will try to coax out the flavours very carefully.

edit: I've been reading a bit more about it and the tea seems a lot like the descriptions and pictures of Shi Feng Long Jing since it has the paleness of the liquor and the sharp smell which threw me off. It's a whole new part of the green tea spectrum for me.

+ Post Reply