Himalayan black tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Sep 19th, '13, 22:07

Re: Himalayan black tea

by dan88 » Sep 19th, '13, 22:07

Just opened it today. It was a gift from a friend. He was climbing a mountain in Nepal. Brought it from there. It doesn't look like a black tea.
Attachments
nepal_tea_08.png
nepal_tea_08.png (136.07 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
nepal_tea_09.png
nepal_tea_09.png (144.78 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
nepal_tea_05.png
nepal_tea_05.png (146.28 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

Sep 20th, '13, 00:43

by Tead Off » Sep 20th, '13, 00:43

show us the leaves.

Sep 20th, '13, 21:54

by dan88 » Sep 20th, '13, 21:54

Tead Off wrote:show us the leaves.
Here you go.
Attachments
nepal_tea_11.png
nepal_tea_11.png (180.89 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
nepal_tea_10.png
nepal_tea_10.png (168.33 KiB) Viewed 3448 times

Sep 26th, '13, 09:36

by Tead Off » Sep 26th, '13, 09:36

Drinking the Jun Chiyabari 'Himalayan Orange'. Wow. Grown at 1800-2000m, bio-organic, an incredible delivery of flavor and aroma into my cup. Very few Darjeelings can compete with this tea. One of the great finds of 2013 for me. As a long time tea drinker, few teas capture my attention like this one.

Sep 28th, '13, 20:11

by Chasm » Sep 28th, '13, 20:11

Tead, where did you get the Jun Chiyabari 'Himalayan Orange'?

I was just looking at Rishi's Jun Chiyabari selection, wondering which to try.

Teasource had a Jun Chiyabari black some time way back, and I had bought a stock of it and stored it well. It wound up being one of my best tools in the neverending battle against dehydration during a long and severe gastrointestinal illness last spring. Now, of course, I'm almost out. I've been hoarding the last bit for when I'm sick.

Sep 28th, '13, 22:09

by Tead Off » Sep 28th, '13, 22:09

Chasm wrote:Tead, where did you get the Jun Chiyabari 'Himalayan Orange'?

I was just looking at Rishi's Jun Chiyabari selection, wondering which to try.

Teasource had a Jun Chiyabari black some time way back, and I had bought a stock of it and stored it well. It wound up being one of my best tools in the neverending battle against dehydration during a long and severe gastrointestinal illness last spring. Now, of course, I'm almost out. I've been hoarding the last bit for when I'm sick.
As I mentioned in one of the earlier posts, all the Jun Chiyabari teas I have were given to me by a friend who returned from Nepal recently. She met one of the owners of Jun Chiyabari who told her that all their teas are exported. She got my teas from the owner. No shop was selling them in Kathmandu. Kuwapani is another strong recommendation.

Sep 30th, '13, 14:25

by Chasm » Sep 30th, '13, 14:25

Here's the Jun Chiyabari black tea I have.
Attachments
20130930_130021_smaller.jpg
20130930_130021_smaller.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 3319 times

Nov 28th, '13, 04:38

by ClarG » Nov 28th, '13, 04:38

I also want to try drinking a Himalayan tea.

Dec 4th, '13, 00:28
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 4th, '13, 00:28

Re: Nepalese black tea

I have very limited experience w/ Himalayan tea; nonetheless, I comment: I had a difficult time w/ what is famous tea, single-estate darjeelings. My first couple of cups of Nepalese also displeased me -- too strong, like medicine, etc.

NowI think that tea from Nepal is a great value & delicious. The first flush is packed w/ strong flavors. At first this overwhelmed me, but I started using less than a teaspoon per cup (8 ounces) & steeped for no more than 3 1/2 minutes. I also steep in the 3 - 3 1/2 minute range for the other flushes, but I use a full teaspoon of tea per cup. Second flush is the tamest, but the flavors are there, just muted. Autumn flush falls between the others in power.

All offer a cup that satisfies. I don't have multiple-infusions tea sessions w/ these. I have a big cup drunk slowly & am feeling the effects for quite a long time. It wakes me up in the head & belly. The aroma of the tea when hot is very alluring, but I try not to rush into drinking because it is best lukewarm. The 3 teas that I am drinking now range in price from $3.90 to $6.90 for 100 grams, but I cannot detect better quality by price (nor between hand-rolled or not).

So, I mainly want to say that Nepal seems to have quality that is affordable. Shipping is expensive for small orders; so, I ordered quite a bit (I got 800 grams in all). I don't think I'll regret it.

I forgot to mention the astringency: This tea dries the mouth.

Dec 6th, '13, 01:36

by Tead Off » Dec 6th, '13, 01:36

Drinking the Jun Chiyabari Himalayan Orange 2nd flush gongu style. Quick infusion as this tea yields intense flavor and aroma. Many brews. I still think this tea is best drunk western style but I like to change up once in a while.

Dec 14th, '13, 18:46

by ClarG » Dec 14th, '13, 18:46

I am drinking some Autumn flush Himalayan black tea which I made Western style, and I enjoy it.

Dec 16th, '13, 19:11

by AllanK » Dec 16th, '13, 19:11

ethan wrote:Re: Nepalese black tea

I have very limited experience w/ Himalayan tea; nonetheless, I comment: I had a difficult time w/ what is famous tea, single-estate darjeelings. My first couple of cups of Nepalese also displeased me -- too strong, like medicine, etc.

NowI think that tea from Nepal is a great value & delicious. The first flush is packed w/ strong flavors. At first this overwhelmed me, but I started using less than a teaspoon per cup (8 ounces) & steeped for no more than 3 1/2 minutes. I also steep in the 3 - 3 1/2 minute range for the other flushes, but I use a full teaspoon of tea per cup. Second flush is the tamest, but the flavors are there, just muted. Autumn flush falls between the others in power.

All offer a cup that satisfies. I don't have multiple-infusions tea sessions w/ these. I have a big cup drunk slowly & am feeling the effects for quite a long time. It wakes me up in the head & belly. The aroma of the tea when hot is very alluring, but I try not to rush into drinking because it is best lukewarm. The 3 teas that I am drinking now range in price from $3.90 to $6.90 for 100 grams, but I cannot detect better quality by price (nor between hand-rolled or not).

So, I mainly want to say that Nepal seems to have quality that is affordable. Shipping is expensive for small orders; so, I ordered quite a bit (I got 800 grams in all). I don't think I'll regret it.

I forgot to mention the astringency: This tea dries the mouth.
Which vendor did you order from, Rishi tea or another? I am considering ordering some Nepal teas myself.

Jun 18th, '14, 18:21
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 18th, '14, 18:21

Al;lanK, I apologize for not responding to your ? in December. I did not see it until now when returning to this thread to praise Himalayan Orange a black tea of Jun Chiyabari. Before I wrote about tea from Nepal that I had shipped by buddhatea. I recommend the vendor for honesty, service, etc., but you should know that the prices I mentioned did not include shipping cost which for a small quantity can cost you > the tea. Buddhatea sells one white tea (praise posted not long ago on white tea thread) which is my favorite tea from them.
From Nepal I just received a huge amount of the Himalayan Orange, which I got to try this & an oolong from Jun Chiyabari through the hospitality of Teadoff in April & just could not forget. Recently, on a thread about the frustration of importing costs & delays, I over-emphasized this tea's subtleness. Drinking it now, I don't know if calling it subtle is the right. The tea does not hit too hard, but one immediately catches quite a lot of flavor & aroma, stronger than I remembered. Fortunately, that flavor & aroma does not come w/ the excessive pungency & astringency that these type of teas usually deliver; moreover, flavors linger in the back of the mouth, perhaps actually coating... I do know that I am now tasting the tea, 20 minutes after I drank it. I get 2 wonderful infusions & a third pleasant but weak infusion.

Jun 19th, '14, 03:14

by Tead Off » Jun 19th, '14, 03:14

Himalayan Orange is wonderful tea. It is one of my top teas that I keep reaching for.

Last night, I prepared some Autumn Flush, Himalayan Hand-Rolled, from Jun Chiyabari. This is also very impressive with the flavor permeating the mouth and aroma intoxicating. These teas are slightly different from Darjeelings in the sense that they have little astringency. Highly recommended.

May 18th, '15, 11:27
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 18th, '15, 11:27

After hundreds of satisfying sessions somehow I decided to play w/ parameters & was happily surprised:

I have been infusing about 180 ml (about 6 oz.) of boiling water w/ about 1.5 grams of Jun Chiyabari Himalayan Orange for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes. The first infusion has been wonderfully, strongly aromatic & delicious; the second infusion only slightly aromatic but just as delicious. From time to time I pushed for a third infusion for an overly weak beverage.

Recently I have used just a bit more tea, about a 1/4 gram more & cut steeping time by 30 seconds. The first & second infusions are almost the same w/ just a bit more fruitiness & a bit less body: a result I prefer. Fine.

What! The big surprise is that now I get a third infusion that is a pleasure to drink by steeping 5 minutes or more. This third drink is not quite as powerfully flavorful but tasty & satisfying. Really worth drinking!

It paid to doubt tried & true preparation.

+ Post Reply