Nov 11th, '12, 17:23

Re: Wood Fired Ceramics by Bill Perrine (Split-Fire Pottery)

by T-session » Nov 11th, '12, 17:23

I have new things to share. I've put a bunch in my shop but thought you might like to see some here. I like this teapot, well balanced, pours excellent :D

Then here's a few tea cups

I'm planning one more firing around the beginning of December. Can't wait to try the new kiln again!

Cheers,
Bill

Nov 18th, '12, 18:58

by T-session » Nov 18th, '12, 18:58

I am starting my annual 20% off sale until Christmas. I am not doing Art Mart this year so I will have a lot to list for this sale this year. This is one of the two sales I have every year, the other later in the spring. Enter SAVE20 at check out.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/splitfirepottery

P.S. That tea bowl just above this just sold already to a teachat friend! :D

Dec 9th, '12, 20:42

by T-session » Dec 9th, '12, 20:42

I just completed my first "real" firing. The other one in October was a workshop where many people were involved in the firing. This one was 19 hours and I put cone 12 over completely. I have included a couple of pics from the firing and one quick pic from a still very warm kiln. I have quite a few tea ware items :D

What some people don't realize is that wood kilns have a neutral carbon foot print. They put back the same amount the tree roots took out of the soil. The particles are heavy and fall back to the ground and are recycled by the new plants and trees, as told to me by a chemistry professor.

The last hours of firing...

The turquoise came out stunner!

I'll be back with more... oh and everything is 20% off until Christmas...

Dec 9th, '12, 21:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 9th, '12, 21:10

Whew ... that looks HOT!!!

... a bit of an understatement I am sure ...

May 21st, '13, 16:32

by T-session » May 21st, '13, 16:32

Hi everyone,
Sorry to have been "gone" so long. I had a terrible accident...slipped and fell and had my 900# trailer land on me and I broke 5 ribs and my shoulder blade. OUCH!!!
I started catching up with all the work I had started earlier in the winter and just fired 19 1/4 hours. Friday (7:00am) to part of Saturday morning (3:15am).

I have pictures!

More to come :D

May 21st, '13, 16:55

by T-session » May 21st, '13, 16:55

Here's little tea bowl with an oni shino on it... Beautiful crackle up close.

When the sun comes back out, I have a few more tea bowls to share with you guys.
Cheers!

May 22nd, '13, 11:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 22nd, '13, 11:15

Wow Bill, that sounds realllly painful. Living with cracked/broken ribs is one of the most painful things I have experienced. Hopefully all is well now.

Beautiful new pieces. I particularly like the cup ... er bowl(?) shape.

May 22nd, '13, 12:05

by debunix » May 22nd, '13, 12:05

Quite a lot of work to fire all that, with freshly mending ribs. Whew. Hope those lovely pieces made it feel worth all the effort.

May 22nd, '13, 16:41

by T-session » May 22nd, '13, 16:41

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Yeah Chip, it was one of the most painful things I've ever felt that I could remember... I must be crazy to want to go through all that work Debunix, but I just love it when I get these beautiful, unique, one of a kind pieces! And this new kiln is performing better and better each time and I'm learning a lot from each firing.
I forgot how cool the oni shino is on the tea ware. I will have a lot more in the next firing. I did a lot (about 1/3) of Tully Clay pieces this time. They do very well at the local shows, as Tully is near here. That tea cup/bowl is made with it. The clay is darker where I leave it bare/naked we call it.

Here is another chawan that I just snapped a picture of. I have two new ash glazes on this one. Green and cream colored ash glazes.

Cheers,
Bill

Sep 21st, '13, 20:54

by T-session » Sep 21st, '13, 20:54

Hi everyone,
Wow have I been busy! I had a real full show schedule this past summer, my first real, full-time, potter summer. I just fired recently and wanted to share some of the results with you. I have changed my wood choices at different parts of the firing and the results are excellent ember management, a very important part of wood-firing!! I only had 1/2 a cone difference between the front top and front middle/bottom. And cone 12 in front and 10 in back. Perfect! :D I think I'm starting to gt the hang of this wood-firing thing... :wink:

My split fire at top temps

Door is off

Grate out

Post wood-firing of 9/10/2013

Kyusu's, one 5 oz and one 8oz

Some new ash glazes I really really like!

Yunomi's on trivet

How's that for starters? :wink:
Cheers,
Bill

Sep 21st, '13, 23:20

by debunix » Sep 21st, '13, 23:20

Gorgeous stuff.

Sep 22nd, '13, 00:34

by kikula » Sep 22nd, '13, 00:34

Yikes, just visited your (teapotless as of now) Etsy site - you're from HOMER? Just moved to Baltimore from Dryden (culture shock) and worked in Homer and Cortland, for years. And I thought Greenwood Studio was a 'wow, small-world' thing, in relatively remote Cazenovia! My youngest daughter's still in town there, works in Ithaca - maybe I'll send her your way with a request for a Christmas yunomi - she's a tea drinker, too.
Have you sold out of new wares already or not put them up yet?

Sep 22nd, '13, 00:47

by debunix » Sep 22nd, '13, 00:47

Not put them up yet (I check my favorite Etsy sites almost daily).

Sep 22nd, '13, 01:23

by kikula » Sep 22nd, '13, 01:23

debunix wrote:Not put them up yet (I check my favorite Etsy sites almost daily).
I think I knew that. Me too. And all the others. I refuse to comment in the TAD thread; the syndrome peaks like any other mania and it's too much fun to call it. I'll enable you if you'll enable me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sep 22nd, '13, 19:33

by T-session » Sep 22nd, '13, 19:33

Hey Debunix and Kikula and all,
Small world isn't it Kikula?! Maryland must be a huge difference. I lived in North Carolina for a short bit many, many years ago (1977?) and it was so different. This is a beautiful area to live in. I don't live in the town of Homer, up on top of a hill closer to East Homer, two miles up the hill. But back to the comments.
I have to get some of my work up to Gallery 54 in Skaneateles this Friday (mostly general stuff, cereal bowls, mugs, etc) and then I am going to be listing on etsy again. I need to take one of the kyusu's to that gallery but doesn't matter which one. Do you think tea drinkers like you guys would generally prefer a 5 or more 8oz size, usually (trying to figure which one to put on etsy... ) just curious. I have one more show in November and the rest is etsy... I'll just put my etsy site on "vacation mode" and then remove what sells at the show before going back off vacation mode.
"My youngest daughter's still in town there, works in Ithaca - maybe I'll send her your way with a request for a Christmas yunomi - she's a tea drinker, too." Happy to have vistors up to the studio, usually give a little mini tour of the kiln area and all. She/anyone can contact me through email at williperri@aol.com anytime.
Thank you for your comments,
Cheers,
Bill

+ Post Reply