How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Feb 27th, '13, 10:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Stentor » Feb 27th, '13, 10:13

Incredible, David.
I definitely hope to see more of it!

How is the lid fit compared to the shudei? Toru says the wood fired can have a looser fit.

Beautiful pot. Enjoy!

Feb 27th, '13, 10:40

by David R. » Feb 27th, '13, 10:40

Alex wrote:How does it brew? any noticeable difference to the standard?
Still early to say, but so far I have noticed the same kind of difference than the oxidation vs reduction fired kyusu from Shimizu Ken. The Shudei (red) version focuses more on head notes, giving a fresh, green and flowery cup, whereas the Yakishime gives more heavy notes, more depth, maybe more length in the end.

About customs fees, this was a very bad surprise. I have to admit that it was totally my fault. I was so eager to have it, that I didn't ask Toru about what kind of shipment he was going to use. In France, every shipment using EMS from Japan (and not from any other asian countries I know of) is getting taxed. I don't mind paying my share but the costs calculation is a total rip off.

They add the customs fees before calculating the 19.6% TVA (for France), including the shipping costs, which is also weird... And in the end, they add 21€ because Chronopost has paid for you the fee in advance to the customs... I don't about the legality of this in France...

As you said, it will pass, but suffice to say it am still angry about this.
Stentor wrote:How is the lid fit compared to the shudei?
Here, it fits just perfectly...

I'll try to post more photos soon.

Feb 27th, '13, 12:05

by Alex » Feb 27th, '13, 12:05

You've a right to be angry. There's paying what needs to be paid, and there's getting ripped off with crazy charges which they give you no option of paying yourself. Once more you've not entered in to a contract with the company to pay on your behalf so it baffles me how they can do that.

Anyway. Don't get me started again :oops:

I would love a load more pictures of that pot. It sure deservers some lime light. :mrgreen:

Feb 27th, '13, 17:34

by debunix » Feb 27th, '13, 17:34

Alex wrote:OMG that's sweet.

The swirl on the lid from the top is breathtaking. Your pictures make it look even more amazing then the AN ones.

Many thanks for sharing those.
+1 to all that, especially the swirl.

(drooling again)

Apr 5th, '13, 05:59

by Ymryl » Apr 5th, '13, 05:59

David R. wrote:
Alex wrote:How does it brew? any noticeable difference to the standard?
Still early to say, but so far I have noticed the same kind of difference than the oxidation vs reduction fired kyusu from Shimizu Ken. The Shudei (red) version focuses more on head notes, giving a fresh, green and flowery cup, whereas the Yakishime gives more heavy notes, more depth, maybe more length in the end.

About customs fees, this was a very bad surprise. I have to admit that it was totally my fault. I was so eager to have it, that I didn't ask Toru about what kind of shipment he was going to use. In France, every shipment using EMS from Japan (and not from any other asian countries I know of) is getting taxed. I don't mind paying my share but the costs calculation is a total rip off.

They add the customs fees before calculating the 19.6% TVA (for France), including the shipping costs, which is also weird... And in the end, they add 21€ because Chronopost has paid for you the fee in advance to the customs... I don't about the legality of this in France...

As you said, it will pass, but suffice to say it am still angry about this.
Stentor wrote:How is the lid fit compared to the shudei?
Here, it fits just perfectly...

I'll try to post more photos soon.
Hi David,
I'm going to have something sent to me by Toru, any advice on what king of shipment I should ask for in order to avoid French taxes ?

Thanks

Apr 5th, '13, 13:49

by Alex » Apr 5th, '13, 13:49

SAL would be the one that's likely to get through.

SAL is fastest to the UK anyway and rarely gets taxed. Express always gets taxed and sits in the customs for 10 days.

Express = about 12 days
SAL = 4-5 days

for UK anyway. I'll let David chime in for France

Apr 6th, '13, 02:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Apr 6th, '13, 02:46

Alex wrote:SAL would be the one that's likely to get through.
SAL is fastest to the UK anyway and rarely gets taxed. Express always gets taxed and sits in the customs for 10 days.
Express = about 12 days
SAL = 4-5 days
for UK anyway. I'll let David chime in for France
It is similar in Germany by the way. It does take slightly longer, though, like 7 days for SAL.

Having to go to the customs office is the worst!

Apr 6th, '13, 03:12

by achyle » Apr 6th, '13, 03:12

Ymryl, if I may, ask Toru to send it to you by express and put a low value on the package, that's the way to go.
express package never get lost and the way how Toru will pack your teaware, you can be sure that it won't break so you don't have to worry about insurance stuff.
I know that's a bad guy advice but customs fees are ridiculous, especially in France

Apr 6th, '13, 05:52

by Alex » Apr 6th, '13, 05:52

Express sits for 7-10 days in customs in the UK (Even if its under $20), SAL just sails through. 8)
Last edited by Alex on Apr 6th, '13, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 6th, '13, 06:44

by David R. » Apr 6th, '13, 06:44

SAL all the way. Never had a problem and the difference of delay is marginal.
achyle wrote:Ymryl, if I may, ask Toru to send it to you by express and put a low value on the package, that's the way to go.
express package never get lost and the way how Toru will pack your teaware, you can be sure that it won't break so you don't have to worry about insurance stuff.
I know that's a bad guy advice but customs fees are ridiculous, especially in France
Not all vendors agree to do that, and I respect those who don't. The way I see things, if you order let's say a $300 item labelled as $100, your parcel gets lost or the item broken, you get refunded $100... Little chance with EMS, but I have received a broken kettle with EMS and never had a problem with SAL.

Jun 9th, '13, 15:43

by AdamMY » Jun 9th, '13, 15:43

I am scared what my next kyusu will be as I seem to always be climbing up the kyusu ladder so to speak. I present to you this amazing, and practically non existent ( that is what it feels like in your hand) Hokujo kyusu.

Hokujo Kyusu by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Jun 9th, '13, 15:45

by debunix » Jun 9th, '13, 15:45

AdamMY wrote:practically non existent ( that is what it feels like in your hand)
Is it a matter of lightness or just that extension of your hand that feels so natural it 's like there is nothing besides your hand?

Jun 9th, '13, 15:49

by AdamMY » Jun 9th, '13, 15:49

debunix wrote:
AdamMY wrote:practically non existent ( that is what it feels like in your hand)
Is it a matter of lightness or just that extension of your hand that feels so natural it 's like there is nothing besides your hand?
It feels natural when I am looking at it, but it scares me when I am not, because it is so light, that while I can sort of *tell* something is in my hand I keep on feeling like it is not really there at the same time. So when I am not actively looking at it, it is so light that I have a constant feeling like I do not have a good grip on it. Scary but cool at the same time.

Jun 9th, '13, 20:36

by Tobias » Jun 9th, '13, 20:36

AdamMY wrote:I am scared what my next kyusu will be as I seem to always be climbing up the kyusu ladder so to speak.
I know what you mean, all my teaware purchases seems to follow that pattern, unfortunately my paycheck have problems keeping up.

Sep 22nd, '13, 14:24

by dusty » Sep 22nd, '13, 14:24

Ordered this yesterday for $41 from hibiki-an.

My first ever Kyusu! :)

+ Post Reply