Bi Luo Chun and pesticides

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 24th, '13, 20:44

Bi Luo Chun and pesticides

by asterix2k10 » Sep 24th, '13, 20:44

I bought some Bi Luo Chun from ebay. I liked the tea but noticed a strange soapy taste that seemed artificial. Then I read the greenpeace article about pesticides and noticed this kind of tea was one of the most contaminated. Since it is a soft, delicate tea harvested young I could imagine how pests would go after it and also it wouldn't have much time after being sprayed before being picked. Anyone else have this experience?

I have an Anxi Tie Guan Yin that I don't trust either.

Sep 25th, '13, 09:46

Re: Bi Luo Chun and pesticides

by bambooforest » Sep 25th, '13, 09:46

The earlier the tea is picked the less likely it has large amounts of pesticides since it's cooler at that time and there are lest pests as a result. It's actually later harvests that are more prone to be sprayed more. At least, this is what I've gathered from what I've read. That said: I'm certain even an early harvest tea could be over sprayed.

Sep 25th, '13, 10:46

by chrl42 » Sep 25th, '13, 10:46

I have to agree with bambooforest..

With TGY it's like you will have a hard time finding 'organic' one..but Biluochun is made of very younger leaves.

I wonder about 'soapy' taste you mentioned..how is it different from Biluochuns you've had before? :)

Sep 25th, '13, 12:28

by asterix2k10 » Sep 25th, '13, 12:28

This is the first Bi Luo Chun I've tried

Sep 25th, '13, 13:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 25th, '13, 13:26

Where from? It could have picked up the odor/taste from other things in the shop (or even in the same box).

I had this happen a few times over the years. One time a vendor put a sample of the strongest smelling blueberry (I think) flavored tea in my box. Why they would include such a tea was beyond me as all the teas I ordered were straight-up teas. But all the teas picked up degrees of this aroma even though they were either sealed or in tins.

Another time ordering from the same company, it just seemed all the teas had odd floral/fruity sort of aromas/tastes. I guessed that perhaps they picked it up from their shared storage area or contaminated them in a similar fashion.

Sep 25th, '13, 19:40

by asterix2k10 » Sep 25th, '13, 19:40

Streetshop88 on ebay. It came packaged in air tight foil wrapping.

Sep 25th, '13, 23:11

by chrl42 » Sep 25th, '13, 23:11

asterix2k10 wrote:This is the first Bi Luo Chun I've tried
I asked this because Biluochun tends to have a different character than other greens. Fruity aroma/taste with a light, lingering finish.

If what you've tried has the different character to other Biluochuns, this might be wrong, but if you find that soapy taste to other Biluochuns as well, this gets a different question. :)

Sep 29th, '13, 15:55

by AlexZorach » Sep 29th, '13, 15:55

I agree with the other's observations about Bi Luo Chun's natural taste; I find it naturally has a flavor that could be described as bitter and unusual to a normal Western palate, more so than typical Chinese green teas. I really like it, but I don't necessarily think it's the most accessible type of tea out there.

I don't really have enough information to say anything specific about the pesticide issue.

+ Post Reply