Can you taste/smell pesticides on tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Sep 25th, '13, 19:39

Can you taste/smell pesticides on tea?

by asterix2k10 » Sep 25th, '13, 19:39

Apparently David Lee Hoffman could according to his documentary All in this Tea.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

Sep 25th, '13, 19:59

Re: Can you taste/smell pesticides on tea?

by kikula » Sep 25th, '13, 19:59

I actually once searched this forum and everywhere else wondering about that - the question arose in the same context. I actually haven't been able to find out what pesticides are used either. But of course you can't taste them in an apple so I dunno why you would in tea. He's quite a character.
If you haven't been following: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/23/us/in ... moats.html

Sep 25th, '13, 20:34

by Poohblah » Sep 25th, '13, 20:34

DLH seems to pop up once every few months on these forums. There's about a thousand different threads about him.

And no, he can't "smell pesticides on tea". Though it makes for a good haggling tactic.

Sep 25th, '13, 22:51

by chrl42 » Sep 25th, '13, 22:51

No. I even don't know what 'pesticide' tastes like (I grew up in urban areas).

But there are some teas I taste strangely, some kind of taste that is not likely from tea. When I drink it, it stimulates my stomach and then nature calls right to toilet. I don't if it's pesticide or not, but when I sense that, I try to avoid that tea.

Sep 26th, '13, 09:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 26th, '13, 09:09

You can try an example out for yourself, if you like.

Sep 27th, '13, 16:52

by Evan Draper » Sep 27th, '13, 16:52

Drax wrote:You can try an example out for yourself, if you like.
So cool!

Sep 27th, '13, 20:53

by kikula » Sep 27th, '13, 20:53

Evan Draper wrote:
Drax wrote:You can try an example out for yourself, if you like.
So cool!
Wow.
Developing one's palette this way is very sad, but a somewhat amazing idea.

Edit: That would be palate! Ack, must be old age.

Sep 28th, '13, 19:37

by Chasm » Sep 28th, '13, 19:37

I was just wondering about this. My stomach has gotten really sensitive lately, and I've tried a number of teas that based on the first sip or two, I think should be fine, but after a bit more my stomach starts to rebel.

Now I'm tempted to try the tasting for chemicals kit.

Nov 16th, '14, 14:12

by miig » Nov 16th, '14, 14:12

Funny thing, I have the tasting kit lying here since several months but haven't touched it yet.
Anyhow, I just got a very weird sensation from a tea: Its a tickling in the mouth and a slightly burning sensation, but not like from Chili, more "soapy", like if you get deodorant in your mouth. (No, I don't do that on a regular basis, but it happens :mrgreen: )
The feeling seems to coat my mouth and lasts quite long. I've been wondering whether I was imagining things, so I left the tea and did something else, including lunch, and then tried another infusion. And now its very obvious: The feeling returned and its quite obviously, not very subtle.

Its from a Pu from the year 2002, actually not too cheap, almost 100$ the cake from a reputable vendor. I don't know, maybe its the water filtering cartridge is doing crazy things or theres something in the tab water which I'm using, but that didn't happen before.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow to see if I can verify this.. but until then - did someone else experience this before?

Nov 16th, '14, 15:40

by William » Nov 16th, '14, 15:40

miig wrote: I'll do some more testing tomorrow to see if I can verify this.. but until then - did someone else experience this before?
Many many times, my friend. :(
Have you felt some tingling on your toungue or throat?

Nov 16th, '14, 16:03

by miig » Nov 16th, '14, 16:03

Hmm, its maybe a question of words, but I would rather not describe it as tingling.. rather sharp and intense and a bit burning. The tip of my tongue still feels a bit numb, like the feeling you get quite a while after you burnt it - if there's just a little of the burnt feeling left. Just that the tea certainly was not too hot.

Nov 16th, '14, 17:07

by William » Nov 16th, '14, 17:07

miig wrote:Hmm, its maybe a question of words, but I would rather not describe it as tingling.. rather sharp and intense and a bit burning. The tip of my tongue still feels a bit numb, like the feeling you get quite a while after you burnt it - if there's just a little of the burnt feeling left. Just that the tea certainly was not too hot.
Maybe you should try to brew it again. If you feel the same, just avoid it! :)

Nov 16th, '14, 17:48

by miig » Nov 16th, '14, 17:48

Yes absolutely. I really liked to drink this tea but that was a year ago, when I started with Pu-Erh. So its possible that I didn't realize it back then when it was all so new and overwhelming. Now, its different - now its just overwhelming :lol:
But I also sent this tea to some people and no one complained yet - so I changed the water filter and will pay special attention to the water tomorrow - how it tastes without tea, and so on. Maybe the intriguing thing is that this didn't happen much sooner - I had a similar feeling which a cheap oolong ago. We'll see. Thanks for your attention :)

Nov 16th, '14, 19:05

by BW85 » Nov 16th, '14, 19:05

miig wrote:Hmm, its maybe a question of words, but I would rather not describe it as tingling.. rather sharp and intense and a bit burning. The tip of my tongue still feels a bit numb, like the feeling you get quite a while after you burnt it - if there's just a little of the burnt feeling left. Just that the tea certainly was not too hot.
That sounds a lot like high agrochemical levels on the tea. At least how most people describe it. Did you say you have the tasting kit from EoT?

Nov 16th, '14, 20:44

by miig » Nov 16th, '14, 20:44

It seems that way... want a sample ? :lol:

Seriously, yes, I do have the kit. Didn't use it yet but I took out the rather detailled set of instructions that came with it, which on their own have been quite helpful.
It appears to be high time to get it unpacked though.

+ Post Reply