My First Matcha arrived today, any tips?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 6th, '08, 12:35

My First Matcha arrived today, any tips?

by joelbct » Jan 6th, '08, 12:35

So thanks to O-Cha's prompt delivery (took just a week to arrive from Japan), I am about to lose my Matcha Virginity...

Any tips? I don't have a bamboo whisk yet, so I am going to use a steel one... Or I suppose I could try to fashion a wooden one from twigs :D

Also, the 100 grams of powdered sencha arrived, but now I am wondering how to carry it for portable, on-the-go Sencha.... Little plastic baggies? I can just picture it now... "No Officer, really, it's just Green Tea.... From Japan...." :D

Jan 6th, '08, 13:05

by Space Samurai » Jan 6th, '08, 13:05

Awesome, which matcha did you get from o-cha?

A bamboo whisk is kind of essential, but you can probably make do with a metal one. If you follow the instructions Kevin sends, you will get the hang of it in no time.

I too like powsered sencha for on the go. Den's tea sells powdered sencha in individual bag, but it's 40 bucks for 50.

Jan 6th, '08, 13:11

by Wesli » Jan 6th, '08, 13:11

Yeah, Den's powdered sencha is great, but it's pricey. I'm about to use some for work today, I'll just be tossing a teaspoon or so into a bottle of water and see how it goes.

My tip for matcha: WHISK WHISK WHISK! I think the bamboo whisk (chasen) is a serious requirement, although you can try to make do with a metal one, just be SURE to WHISK WHISK WHISK fervishly, clumpy matcha = bad. Make sure to use a bowl too (I hope you knew that). :)

Jan 6th, '08, 13:12

by joelbct » Jan 6th, '08, 13:12

The Kaoru Matcha from o-cha.com: wow. I can see why they use this type of tea in a spiritual ceremony, because this tea is divine.

A bit akin to strong, fuka sencha, but thicker and palpably creamy. Delicious...

Jan 6th, '08, 13:14

by joelbct » Jan 6th, '08, 13:14

Fukamushi Dynasty wrote:Make sure to use a bowl too (I hope you knew that). :)
I will order a bowl and bamboo whisk+spoon with my next order... Because I will Definitely be ordering from O-Cha again. Soon....

I love a good Chinese Green, but between this Matcha and my beloved Chiran Kagoshima, Japanese Green tea is fast becoming my favorite of all tea's...

Jan 6th, '08, 13:23

by Space Samurai » Jan 6th, '08, 13:23

Oh and sift your matcha. Sifting makea a big difference, cuts down on clumping and so forth.

Jan 6th, '08, 14:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jan 6th, '08, 14:45

That is an impressive cup full of matcha! I normally have only a few ounces in a bowl.
You are correct, I have had experiences with fuka when using a large amount of leaf that reminded me somewhat of thin matcha.

Jan 6th, '08, 17:50

How to make foam...

by karlos » Jan 6th, '08, 17:50

Hi all.

I am here for first time. I see you are talking about matcha.

I have just little problem. I cannot make any foam on my matcha. I have good chasen and also chawan. I dont know where I make mistake.

Could anybody give me some tip or advice?

Thanks

Jan 6th, '08, 18:07

by Wesli » Jan 6th, '08, 18:07

Hey Karlos, welcome to the forums.

If you're sure you have real matcha, then the problem lies in your whisking technique. When whisking, you want to go side to side in a W pattern, turning the bowl every so often. Another problem might be that you're not putting in enough of the powdered leaf. The matcha powder is what makes the foam stay.

WHISK FERVISHLY! Really, this is the most important. You should be whisking so quick that your arm gives out.

Summary: use good technique, add more powder, whisk quicker. These are the three things that will lead to a better head.

Jan 6th, '08, 19:33

by karlos » Jan 6th, '08, 19:33

Hi Fukamushi and thank for your answer.

Do you think problem could be in water? I try to whisk realy hard but no any foam. When I did it at my friend (another city = another water) there was no problem with foam. But it was also different matcha. So I guess problem is in water or matcha (as you wrote: if I am sure I have real matcha).

So: How can I find my matcha is real or good quality?

Thanks

Jan 6th, '08, 19:54

by Wesli » Jan 6th, '08, 19:54

karlos wrote: So: How can I find [out if] my matcha is real or good quality?
By trying a matcha that is known to be good, then comparatively analyzing. If you think it's your water, try grabbing a bottled water from the store and prepare it using that.

Jan 6th, '08, 21:29

by brandon » Jan 6th, '08, 21:29

One way to get a higher concentration of leaf-to-water is just to start with less water. This might sound obvious, but this is how I ended up getting a nice foam.

Jan 23rd, '08, 22:56

by joelbct » Jan 23rd, '08, 22:56

So an update, 2 weeks later, still loving the Matcha. Almost done with the second 30g cannister, and 120g more are en route from hibiki-an.

Down to the normal-sized bowls, no more of those monstrous bodums-full of diluted Matcha for me! More like, 2-3 Chashaku-scoops with a few ounces of water in a Chawan, whipped until nice and foamy... mmm... I am so glad I finally broke down and tried matcha. Tea from the heavens...

Jan 24th, '08, 00:00

by Chip » Jan 24th, '08, 00:00

"Oh honey, our boy is growing up so fast!!!" :D

It is always fun watching newbies to the forum fine tune their personal tea ceremonies.

It is a source of INTENSEly interesting TEA DISCUSSIONS. :idea:

What a strange post...

Jan 24th, '08, 08:13

by Ed » Jan 24th, '08, 08:13

Dude... I think Chip got a hold of some bad sencha. :?

+ Post Reply