Looking for loose catnip... Know of any good sources?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jan 23rd, '08, 21:59

Looking for loose catnip... Know of any good sources?

by souphippie » Jan 23rd, '08, 21:59

Call me crazy, but I enjoy a good cup of catnip! Yes, it makes cat go bonkers but it does the reverse for humans... a nice, relaxing "tea." Does anyone know where this can be bought in loose form?

Also, I'm looking for buckwheat. I've had it in bag form but wanted to also try this in loose form.

Jan 23rd, '08, 22:40

by Eastree » Jan 23rd, '08, 22:40

I don't know about buckwheat, but catnip can typically be found loose in pet stores by the bag. But better for food consumption, seeds are also typically available (just to be sure it's clean when you grow it yourself).

Jan 24th, '08, 00:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 24th, '08, 00:29

This stuff grows wild all over my property, even out of a mortared stone wall. But alas, it is Winter. Well, same with every type of mint as well.

Never thought of making a tisane out of it though.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 24th, '08, 02:48
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Re: Looking for loose catnip... Know of any good sources?

by skywarrior » Jan 24th, '08, 02:48

souphippie wrote:Call me crazy, but I enjoy a good cup of catnip! Yes, it makes cat go bonkers but it does the reverse for humans... a nice, relaxing "tea." Does anyone know where this can be bought in loose form?

Also, I'm looking for buckwheat. I've had it in bag form but wanted to also try this in loose form.
My cat has a 2 lb stash. No, she won't share! :lol:

Seriously, you can grow your own catnip (many pet stores like PetsMart have it or start with seed or get it from Walmart in the spring :idea: ) or you can try to get organic catnip for cats. The organically grown catnip I have is from http://www.kittybags.com/ and it's premium stuff. My cat loves it.

I, personally, don't like the smell of catnip, but I know plenty of people who do like it. Catnip is a member of the mint family and has relaxing properties for humans when drank as a tea.

BTW, cats must have the "catnip gene" to be affected by catnip. Young kittens are not affected by catnip. And when cats are done going bonkers, it relaxes them like it does us.

Jan 24th, '08, 09:20

by forkyfork » Jan 24th, '08, 09:20

Mountainroseherbs.com sells "Catnip Lea and Flower"

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

I have ordered from them and they are an excellent website for herbs ando ther "natural" stuff in general. Their shipping is a little higher though, and they don't give you any breaks on free shipping like a lot of other places do.

Still.. I would highly recommend them :)

Jan 24th, '08, 14:12

by hop_goblin » Jan 24th, '08, 14:12

Yo, your local health foods place should have all of that stuff. Well, I know they will have buckwheat. I have bought organic catnip from Petco

Jan 24th, '08, 21:11

by souphippie » Jan 24th, '08, 21:11

Thanks everyone! As of right now I'm attending college in a small Texas town... so catnip isn't readily available. I'll check the pet stores for seeds though... because I know they don't have any live plants... my cat loves the fresh stuff!

Yep... catnip is very relaxing! Nice smooth taste.

Jan 24th, '08, 21:12

by souphippie » Jan 24th, '08, 21:12

Chip wrote:This stuff grows wild all over my property, even out of a mortared stone wall. But alas, it is Winter. Well, same with every type of mint as well.

Never thought of making a tisane out of it though.
Holy Chip! Next time that stuff is growing, pluck some of it from Mother Earth... clean it... and brew that stuff! It's pretty wicked stuff!

Jan 24th, '08, 21:13

by souphippie » Jan 24th, '08, 21:13

forkyfork wrote:Mountainroseherbs.com sells "Catnip Lea and Flower"

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

I have ordered from them and they are an excellent website for herbs ando ther "natural" stuff in general. Their shipping is a little higher though, and they don't give you any breaks on free shipping like a lot of other places do.

Still.. I would highly recommend them :)
Thanks Forky... digging this site!

Jan 24th, '08, 21:49

by go green » Jan 24th, '08, 21:49

specialteas.com

Sorry...wrong place. They actually have it at dragonwater-

http://www.dragonwater.com/product_deta ... p_tea.html

Jan 25th, '08, 14:44

by DethChef » Jan 25th, '08, 14:44

I've got a friend that grows extra-potent organic catnip.

Here's her link:
http://sonomacomaslappy.com/Orderpage.html

+ Post Reply