Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 4th, '13, 18:17

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by MIKE_B » Oct 4th, '13, 18:17

ethan wrote: FLT lacks a reasonable minimum standard of quality.
Seems kind of harsh.
I haven't had any of her teas this year but I thought last year's gaoshan from Floating Leaves was very good.
Also, I thought you've written decent things about Shiuwen and FLT in the past. No?

Oct 4th, '13, 19:08

by jschergen » Oct 4th, '13, 19:08

The only tea I haven't enjoyed from Floating Leaves was her Jin Xuan. Have greatly enjoyed everything in the medium-upper price range.

Perhaps her more inexpensive oolongs/teas simply aren't quite as good.

Oct 4th, '13, 19:30

by nw-T » Oct 4th, '13, 19:30

ethan wrote:
"FLT lacks a reasonable minimum standard of quality."

I totally disagree with you here.

If you are so unhappy with the tea from FLT,then stop buying from there.Stop slamming her and the shop because you bought some tea you did not like back in the springtime!

Let it go already!! It's time to move on.

You come across like a little brat.

Oct 4th, '13, 20:56
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 4th, '13, 20:56

Any vendor can have tea go flat, I suppose; or .... I would think..... oops, no discussion about standards; it might be a crusade against FLT.
I think it's good to warn others when one runs into "awful".
Nonetheless, this "brat" will shut up & "move on".

Oct 5th, '13, 14:17

by sherubtse » Oct 5th, '13, 14:17

nw-T wrote:If you are so unhappy with the tea from FLT,then stop buying from there.Stop slamming her and the shop because you bought some tea you did not like back in the springtime!

Although ethan did use rather strong language, I don't see any problem with negative reviews of teas or vendors. That's part of the benefit of a forum like TeaChat.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Oct 5th, '13, 14:53

by JRS22 » Oct 5th, '13, 14:53

One reason I come to Teachat is to learn about new vendors and new teas. Spring was just a few months ago and a newly opened package of oolong should be just fine, IF it was a good tea in good condition when it was sold. When I try a new vendor I often buy small quantities of several teas, so I assume Ethan did the same and is posting reviews as he tries them. I also expect the lesser expensive teas to be good for the price, without expecting them to be as good as the more expensive offerings.

Rather than "shooting the messenger" why not respond with positive reviews of the FLT teas that you've tried?
nw-T wrote:ethan wrote:
"FLT lacks a reasonable minimum standard of quality."

I totally disagree with you here.

If you are so unhappy with the tea from FLT,then stop buying from there.Stop slamming her and the shop because you bought some tea you did not like back in the springtime!

Oct 5th, '13, 18:02

by nw-T » Oct 5th, '13, 18:02

[quote="JRS22"]gs.

Rather than "shooting the messenger" why not respond with positive reviews of the FLT teas that you've tried?

My "shooting the messenger" response was directed toward the black tea Ethan has been complaining about since the springtime.

You are correct about responding with positive reviews!

I drink a lot of tea from FLT.My favorites being the Farmers choice Baozhong, Alishan,Lushan,Charcoal Roasted Dong Ding and Muzha TGY.

The Farmers Choice Baozhong - a great tea with medium to full body,some nice high notes and wonderful Hui gan that last for a long time.I drink this tea all day at work!

During the warmer months I start my day with High Mountain from FLT.My favorite from the Spring 2013 is the Alishan and the LuShan. The Alishan has everything I love in high mountain.Great body,mouthfeel,high notes,Hui gan and great energy.Lovely tea!

The Lushan is full body,great energy and Hui gan.I think it's the fullest body of the 4 high mountains!

I really like the Charcoal Roasted Dong Ding that she gets in the fall/winter months.It usually goes fast. I'm rationing a bag from 2012 spring and one from the 2012 winter now and looking forward to the next batch to arrive.
The tea is roasted beautifully and very well balanced.You can taste the tea base and not just heavy roast to mask lousy tea. Each infusion seems to really show how a well roasted tea can shine with great roasting skills!

My favorite teas of hers are her Muzha Tieguanyin! The main three she carries are from the same farmer.His passion and knowledge really shows in his tea! I'm drinking the Spring 2012 the most.A beautiful tea,great roast,great medium to full body, great mouth feel,Hui Gan and strong tea energy!
The other two are from 1999 and 2008.The 1999 showing some aged notes and calming energy.Drink this more in the afternoon and evening.The 2008 is more roasted and also with some strong energy.

Keep the Charcoal Dong Ding and TGY in tea jars and have really noticed how it compliments the tea.

Well, that's a good start. These are teas that I like.I'm not saying that everyone will enjoy them as much as I do , but some great suggestions.

Enjoying some Spring 2013 Alishan now on this beautiful sunny Seattle day. :D

Oct 5th, '13, 18:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 5th, '13, 18:17

A member is permitted to post a negative review based upon personal experience with a vendor w/o immediately being labeled a brat (or whatever) which borders on harassment of another member which is against forum rules.

If there is a pattern of malicious behavior against a vendor that is contrary to fact, that is certainly a different issue (and I would want to know about it).

Hopefully we are all mature adults here and can avoid name calling simply because someone posts a review contrary to our own experiences with said vendor. As JRS suggested, the best way to counter is to post other reviews.

Oct 7th, '13, 20:10

by AdamMY » Oct 7th, '13, 20:10

Lishan Cui Luan Light roast from Origin tea. this may be the endorphins, but this tea is great. (Likely not the endorphins, I've felt the same way about this tea when I did not just come from a great workout, but I bet they help). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oct 8th, '13, 14:27

by debunix » Oct 8th, '13, 14:27

I've got a few unopened packages of this one waiting to go.....but others to finish before I start. I liked it brewed hot, brewed cold, whether the post-exercise endorphins were on or not. Good stuff.

Today, enjoying a Dan Cong, but with cat-on-lap and away from the tea shelves I can't remember which one. It is lovely, as always, in my little treebark pot.

Oct 8th, '13, 14:44

by puerhking » Oct 8th, '13, 14:44

A mix of Floating Leaves Hu Shan and Ali Shan...which is tasting better than either of them by themselves. If I had know this I would not have waited until the end of both bags to mix them.

Oct 8th, '13, 18:14

by etorix » Oct 8th, '13, 18:14

after a brief hiatus :: scalding out my Yixing, faircup and lefthandfingerbacks, i made tea

teapack he say Luo Shengcai Da Hong Pao

internet [duckduckgo.com; google is dead to us] he say
Da Hong Pao Manually Processed (directed by Luo Shengcai) (2011 version is out of stock)

from http://www.lifeinteacup.com/oolong/wuyi Wuyi Yan Cha (Rock Tea) section

here followeth my usual detailed notes: ThisIsNotFromTaiwan .. hold the presses!

Oct 8th, '13, 21:16

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Oct 8th, '13, 21:16

During the weekend I was away at a two day Yin Style Baguazhang seminar and really missed having the comfort of the tea room. One of the seminar participants is from Taiwan and poured Taiwan wulong tea for the group, which was a welcome respite amidst the hard work. While practicing I drank some Fukujuen Hojicha in a tea thermos...but it's not the same as sitting down to a full practice of tea.

I am grateful to be home and again have access to a focused tea space. Today I poured 9.5 grams for 7 rounds of the SDIQ High Mt. wulong (qing xin cult.) in a Taiwanese 150ml stone pot, using filtered water. The pot has medium to thick walls so I brought my usual temp. for this tea down from 96 deg. C/95 deg. C to 93 deg. C, varying the temp a little lower in certain rounds with increased pour height. It was a really delightful pour and this tea performs better, which I was surprised by, in my stone pot than in my Petr Novak glazed kyusu. This tea's sweet is a bit malty, spicy, with hints of molasses. It is not overly vegetal, even in later rounds. It has a very balanced buttery/cream aspect that is never overpowering. It's a very balanced tea. Some rounds had a nice dry to them and the later rounds allowed a subtle floral to peak through. This tea was very comforting and pleasant and today's pour was very enjoyable, all rounds full of flavor.

Oct 10th, '13, 12:37
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 10th, '13, 12:37

From FLT: Fragrant Dong Ding
Bought in the Spring but just trying this week. 1st session was gong fu style & I was not happy. Westerm style w/ infusions of a minute or less for the 2nd session got satisfying vegetal taste w/ pleasing mouthfeel & very slight bitter aftertaste.
When first exploring oolong, the flavor of vegetables in tea repulsed me. Now I want that taste a few times a month.

Oct 11th, '13, 07:41

by AdamMY » Oct 11th, '13, 07:41

Trying in experiment on if I can enjoy a decent session of tea before work if I do not wake up way earlier than I normally would.

Today's experiment consists of Traditional Pinglin Baozhong 2012 from origin tea. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply