Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 12th, '13, 05:46

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Math » Oct 12th, '13, 05:46

Had some new teafriends over for tea this week, and among the teas we had, one of them was a very fine Ba Xian Dan Cong from Imen. Super heady intoxicating fragrance and complex aroma. Just smelling the awakened leaves was akin to a religious experience. Probably my best Dan Cong to date. Here's a picture from the morning after.

Oct 12th, '13, 12:35

by debunix » Oct 12th, '13, 12:35

Math wrote:Had some new teafriends over for tea this week, and among the teas we had, one of them was a very fine Ba Xian Dan Cong from Imen. Super heady intoxicating fragrance and complex aroma. Just smelling the awakened leaves was akin to a religious experience. Probably my best Dan Cong to date.
Lucky new teafriends, to have someone like you to share Dan Cong with!

Oct 12th, '13, 15:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Oct 12th, '13, 15:32

Qilan, courtesy of Teaurchin. Beautiful tea, the initial aroma reminded me of Masala spices! Nice gentle warm qi.

Oct 13th, '13, 13:30

by AdamMY » Oct 13th, '13, 13:30

Origin Tea Private Collection 102K Da Yu Ling. I am brewing it lighter than this photo:

Private Collection 102K Da Yu Ling (1) by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

But for longer steeps, and wow, I am getting some absolutely incredible flavors out of this tea. Citrus, mint, pineapple, touch of pine. And a finish that lasts forever and is incredibly sweet.

Oct 13th, '13, 15:09

by Risdt » Oct 13th, '13, 15:09

Is it the 104K private collection that you mean? Or was there a 102K privat as well? I've just ordered that 102K and I'm curious if DYL can live up to its pricetag.

I just finished the 2nd package of origin's lishan hua gang, only 1 package left now :( It's a great tea and it keeps surprising me every session.

Oct 13th, '13, 15:44

by AdamMY » Oct 13th, '13, 15:44

Risdt wrote:Is it the 104K private collection that you mean? Or was there a 102K privat as well? I've just ordered that 102K and I'm curious if DYL can live up to its pricetag.

I just finished the 2nd package of origin's lishan hua gang, only 1 package left now :( It's a great tea and it keeps surprising me every session.

We mentioned this in the chat, but it is the 102k I have on hand. It must be sold out as the 104k has a different produce code.

Next up on my Sunday full of tea 2011 Mandarins Tea Room Three Stamp Shui Xian. I forgot how good the roasted deliciousness could be.
MTR 2011 Three Stamp Shui Xian (2) by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Oct 14th, '13, 05:39

by Math » Oct 14th, '13, 05:39

debunix wrote:Lucky new teafriends, to have someone like you to share Dan Cong with!
Thanks Debunix, I truly enjoyed that Dan Cong, since I was the one on the recieving end this time :) So I'm the lucky one with new teafriends with good taste ;)

Oct 14th, '13, 10:55

by debunix » Oct 14th, '13, 10:55

I rarely share Dan Cong with my teafriends at the office--my number one place to share tea--because it is hard to prepare a pitcher large enough to take around and share when brewing tiny infusions that need to be drunk quickly, before oxidation can flatten the flavor or add bitterness. So it's always extra nice when I have the opportunity.

Oct 14th, '13, 19:09

by hobnob » Oct 14th, '13, 19:09

Aha, thanks for that pointer Debunix :) I noticed that some teas would get a little bitter as they got cooler, must be the oxidation factor you mentioned.

Oct 15th, '13, 09:38

by NPE » Oct 15th, '13, 09:38

I am currently enjoying (very much!) a TTC bao-chung from a lovely combination of old and new - relatively speaking, that is. The teapot is by Andrzej Bero and arrived in February this year. The yunomi is by Bill Perrine and has just arrived less than an hour ago. The tea is normally really good anyways but this Polish/US combo seems to lift it to previously unknown heights of deliciousness. Wow!

Oct 16th, '13, 21:01

by the_economist » Oct 16th, '13, 21:01

Aged shuixian from Origintea. Dry leaf had that classic aged plum smell. Excellent leaf base, smooth, soothing qi, rolling huigan. Perfect for a cold day.

Oct 17th, '13, 04:28

by Math » Oct 17th, '13, 04:28

Hey Economist, this Shuixian sounds tasty indeed. Is this an old offering or an unlisted special reserve? Would love to try some of that!

Oct 17th, '13, 10:52

by the_economist » Oct 17th, '13, 10:52

I guess it can be considered an unlisted special reserve. Might be listed soon, cross your fingers!

Oct 17th, '13, 12:09

by Risdt » Oct 17th, '13, 12:09

If memory serves correctly, an aged shui xian was on his website x weeks ago. Not sure if it is out of stock or just not listed anymore.

Oct 17th, '13, 18:18

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Oct 17th, '13, 18:18

For the past days I have been working with a 50g bag of Alishan Jin Xuan tea, lot 207 from Taiwan Tea Crafts. This for me is the first disappointing tea from them. I have experimented with different pots (different clays, glazed and unglazed), with water temp., steep times, water adjustments, etc. It's the first challenging tea that I've had in some time (which gives me genuine gratitude for the grace to have so many good teas to drink :D ).

After pouring it in my Taiwan, 150ml stone pot I did get it to improve. But that improvement merely made the tea enjoyable but not great. It had to happen sooner or later. I wouldn't buy this lot again. It came out flat and not as rich as I expect from an Alishan Jin Xuan tea.

Today I return to (明岡梨山烏龍)Ming Gang Lishan wulong tea and it does not disappoint. I pour 8.6 grams in a 120ml Petr Novak glazed kyusu and cups for 9 rounds before stopping. It's such a rich and complex tea with notes of honeysuckle, cream, cane sugar, and meadow flowers with a stable vegetal underlayer and a fresh and lasting huigan. It's a really quality Lishan tea which I enjoy all the more after a few days of an average tea.

Today I also find my mind drawn to a rich appreciation for the gift of tea, for the world's unique terroirs and the gifted and devoted tea growers and tea makers that endure sleepless days during harvest and processing to bring this amazing gift to those of us lucky enough to be exposed to the experience of quality tea. I am left with lingering gratitude.

+ Post Reply