Sep 21st, '13, 18:30

Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot Inspection

by deadlysight » Sep 21st, '13, 18:30

[EDITED: PICTURES REMOVED]

Hello,

This teapot is quite beautiful on the outside. But the interior seems unsophisticated, maybe the complexity of the shape makes it harder to smooth the inside part.

There are lots of markings that look like hairline cracks around the neck, are these formed during the shrinkage. Are these bad firing marks or tool marks?

The bottom plate shows that it is formed on a wheel, but not the body. Do you think if the entire teapot is turned? The artist also didn't bother to smooth out the junction between these two parts.

Most of my teapots have scrape marks in them, what is the underlying purpose?

Do you think that we should also judge the teapot from the interior out?
Last edited by deadlysight on Dec 12th, '13, 22:24, edited 3 times in total.

Sep 23rd, '13, 14:50

Re: Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot Inspection

by Poohblah » Sep 23rd, '13, 14:50

I think it is a beautiful pot. I think you should treasure it and keep it well.

Sep 24th, '13, 07:59

by chrl42 » Sep 24th, '13, 07:59

Never mind the hairline cracks, it's really a little part compared to more

You will get to know the pot better over time, a bad pot will disappoint you while good pot will inspire while using...IMHO.

Sep 26th, '13, 01:48

by MarshalN » Sep 26th, '13, 01:48

None of these marks indicate that this is a poor pot - seems pretty normal to me. This isn't turned - it's shaped but using tools to smooth it out will leave marks like that.

It was customary for pots to not be smoothed out at all on the inside, so I don't find that problematic at all.

Sep 27th, '13, 01:16

by deadlysight » Sep 27th, '13, 01:16

Thanks for the replies!

I have a lot of Yixing teapots. Some of them have a clay that seems prepared and fired in a special way. I am curious to know about the quality of the clay. Some other teapots seem unique, that I haven't seen them somewhere else on the web.

I know it's hard to tell through the pictures, but I will still post more pictures when I have time.

Oct 18th, '13, 00:07

by deadlysight » Oct 18th, '13, 00:07

[EDITED: PICTURES REMOVED]

OK, here's another Zhuni Teapot, I don't know if I should start a new thread for this or just keep posting new teapots here.

Can anyone provide info about the quality of this clay based on the chop mark, artist info, and the "pure zhuni ore" imprinted on the bottom of the teapot.

I think that this vendor is really selling amazing products based on the worksmanship and the feeling of the teapot on my hand. If this is very high quality teapot then I will keep buying teapots from him.

Thanks
Last edited by deadlysight on Dec 12th, '13, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 18th, '13, 01:22
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 18th, '13, 01:22

Keep buying from this vendor, until you find something better. As long as you like it and use it enough. Good Luck.

Oct 18th, '13, 01:47

by chrl42 » Oct 18th, '13, 01:47

deadlysight wrote: Can anyone provide info about the quality of this clay based on the chop mark, artist info, and the "pure zhuni ore" imprinted on the bottom of the teapot.
those imprints on the pots have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the pots. More likely, high-end Yixings shouldn't have those imprints.

C.

Oct 18th, '13, 01:48

by deadlysight » Oct 18th, '13, 01:48

TIM wrote:Keep buying from this vendor, until you find something better. As long as you like it and use it enough. Good Luck.
Haha, I don't really get what you mean, keep buying until I find something better from somewhere else. Does that mean I won't get something better than this elsewhere:-) This is the one of the lowest priced teapot I can get from him.

I already have a few teapots that I use, the rests including this one, and future ones are more likely for decoration.

It's very likely that I will continue to buy more teapots from him, they are all beautiful, and most are much more beautiful than this one. I will be broke soon.

Oct 18th, '13, 05:16

by MarshalN » Oct 18th, '13, 05:16

I like the first one better

Oct 18th, '13, 05:19

by Tead Off » Oct 18th, '13, 05:19

May I ask the price of the zhuni teapot?

Chrl42 pointed out something most people are aware of. Yixing artists don't stamp their work as pure this or that. It's almost like a 'Made in China' label. Artist chop will be sufficient to build a reputation providing the workmanship and clay are of good quality.

Oct 18th, '13, 08:09

by deadlysight » Oct 18th, '13, 08:09

Tead Off wrote:May I ask the price of the zhuni teapot?
Around $150 with tax included, that's about $130 before tax. I have many teapots close to the $100 margin, but at this price I find this teapot seems to be more valuable than others.
Tead Off wrote:Chrl42 pointed out something most people are aware of. Yixing artists don't stamp their work as pure this or that. It's almost like a 'Made in China' label. Artist chop will be sufficient to build a reputation providing the workmanship and clay are of good quality.
I am aware of this kind imprint, it seems also a bit sketchy why the maker stamped those 4 characters", as there's no need to claim the type of clay if it's authentic. The teapot is beautifully crafted, and the usage is almost perfect. The flow is smooth, stops sharply when the lid hole is blocked, and there's no dripping at all. I compared the clay quality to another of teapot which is claimed to be a "zhuni" (but it's not), and this one is far superior.

Btw, I got this teapot from the same vendor who sold me the Chrysanthemum Zhuni Teapot.
Last edited by deadlysight on Oct 26th, '13, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 18th, '13, 08:43

by Tead Off » Oct 18th, '13, 08:43

Zhuni ore is the stuff that has reputedly been unavailable since the 60's/70's. Mined out. Claims of various factories and artisans of hoarding this type of clay/ore are rampant. If something is really extinct and this type of clay is sought fanatically by the Chinese, who would sell teapots for so little that were made of this legendary clay? Why are you the lucky one?

Out of the 2 teapots pictured, I would also lean towards the Chrysanthemum pot. Because of your original concerns and questions about workmanship, it shows you are not that familiar with Yixing teapots. That's okay. Many of us have a lot to learn in this area, especially what to stay away from. It's a minefield. Some of the best purchases are the ones you don't make. :D

Oct 21st, '13, 00:50

by MarshalN » Oct 21st, '13, 00:50

Tead Off wrote:Some of the best purchases are the ones you don't make. :D
Indeed

Oct 21st, '13, 06:22

by chrl42 » Oct 21st, '13, 06:22

Tead Off wrote:Zhuni ore is the stuff that has reputedly been unavailable since the 60's/70's. Mined out.
You mean Zhaozhuang Zhuni..

High quality Zhaozhuang Zhuni was almost gone by the ROC..by 30's Hongni replaced Zhuni in many Shui-pings.

New Zhuni ores have been found time to time, but after 2000, 'specially after 08 when Yixing price sky-rocketed, even high quality new Zhuni became scarce as well.

Zhuni masters like Xu Jin-gen, Zhu Qin-yong, Fang Xiao-long etc still own many Zhuni ores and hand-grind those ores making into the clay. I thought they might not like to hear when someone says "real Zhuni is gone", cos the price of their pots exceeds many Qing dynasty Zhuni.

IMHO, their skill is never worse than Qing dynasty masters, although I believe the clay quality won't be able to match Qing dynasty's.

+ Post Reply