Oct 24th, '13, 22:36

Help Me Find a Tea Table

by beachape » Oct 24th, '13, 22:36

Hello,

I am not particularly pleased with my current tea table (what a challenging life...). I was hoping you guys could help me find a better tea table.

My current table has a character design cut-out with a plastic collection basin.

I am looking for for a tea table without a plastic collection basin. I know that these tables will last longer in the long run...but I just don't like the aesthetics of it. Looking for either a wood table with its own wood collection basin or one with a hose drain system. I am also looking for a table that has a greater degree of drainage; with the table I have there aren't enough holes/slats so the water just sits on the table.

So far the best candidates I have found;

http://www.rishi-tea.com/product/bamboo ... ccessories
-I like the simple design, but the drainage area is only 1/2 of the table.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARP-Bamboo-Pre ... 2c711c2196
-This one looks pretty appealing, but at 100$ i'd like to be pretty confident before I buy

I have looked at yunnansourcing, dragonteahouse, ebay, and rishi. Any other sites I should check out for a tea table? Any experience or stories about tea-table preference also welcome.

Thanks!

Oct 24th, '13, 22:56

Re: Help Me Find a Tea Table

by debunix » Oct 24th, '13, 22:56

How large a table/tray are you looking for?

Oct 24th, '13, 23:44

by beachape » Oct 24th, '13, 23:44

The usable area (flat area) on my current tea table is 23cm x 35cm. Total size is roughly 30cm x 45 cm. Something in that ballpark would be fine.

Oct 25th, '13, 00:19

by debunix » Oct 25th, '13, 00:19

Have you considered a ceramic tea tray? I noticed a big jump in price from nice enough bamboo trays a little smaller than yours to the size of yours or larger along with a design change--they all seemed to have plastic trays and/or tubing to drain to something under the table.

For the one setting where I really needed a larger tray, I went with a nice artisan ceramic tray (from Mirka), because I really didn't like the aesthetics of the plastic trays and plastic tubes.

Oct 25th, '13, 00:24

by beachape » Oct 25th, '13, 00:24

Haven't really seen many ceramic trays that interested me. If you have time to share a link or some pictures of ones you enjoy I would appreciate it. Also would imagine that they would be heavy and expensive, but I could be wrong.

Oct 25th, '13, 00:40

by debunix » Oct 25th, '13, 00:40

The ones I have are heavier than my bamboo trays, but not so heavy that I really worry about handling them. They were not cheap, but not that expensive compared to the nicer wooden tables that were really the closest comparitors.

This one is about 50 cm x 30 cm

and this one is about 30 cm diameter

I can lift either one easily with a few pieces of teaware on it, but I avoid that because of concern that I'll tilt it and drop something, but not out of fear of the weight. They're really not as heavy as I'd feared they might be.

Here are a couple of links to some available now from Mirka.

Oct 25th, '13, 03:33

by MarshalN » Oct 25th, '13, 03:33

Do you really need one? I use a small dish for my pot and it does more than enough. Once you start going down that route you'd realize that the tea table is unnecessary.

Oct 25th, '13, 06:02

by theredbaron » Oct 25th, '13, 06:02

MarshalN wrote:Do you really need one? I use a small dish for my pot and it does more than enough. Once you start going down that route you'd realize that the tea table is unnecessary.
+1

A low rimmed wide bowl for the pot as a tea boat, an old blue and white plate for the cups, a waste water bucket - traditional and IMO still the most practical and aesthetic set up.

Oct 25th, '13, 06:20

by Tead Off » Oct 25th, '13, 06:20

MarshalN wrote:Do you really need one? I use a small dish for my pot and it does more than enough. Once you start going down that route you'd realize that the tea table is unnecessary.
Unnecessary, but a lovely indulgence with a decidedly practical application.

Oct 25th, '13, 06:33

by chrl42 » Oct 25th, '13, 06:33

Bamboo trays are usually the cheapest to purchase..because they get warped over time, the compressed ones are more durable. Bamboo ones usually acquire-able under 200 rmb in China :D

Stone trays on the the hand, are born with hard nature..smooth and soft ones (like the one used for caligraphy), that don't break pots or cups are more preferred

Oct 25th, '13, 22:48

by beachape » Oct 25th, '13, 22:48

Appreciate the advice; I like the idea of a tea tray because of the convenience. I agree that a couple plates and a waste water basket/bowl would work just fine. However it would be easier for me to throw everything on one table and work with that; seems easier to me.

Any other vendors to check-out for tea tables?

Thanks!

+ Post Reply