EOT's Malaysian stored teas

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 27th, '13, 22:31

EOT's Malaysian stored teas

by Zared » Oct 27th, '13, 22:31

Its seems EOT has stock a few new teas but it seems they haven't been talked about on here or various blogs yet. Anyone try the 2000 Kai Yuan Purple Stamp, 2004 'Private Order' and 1990's yiwu loose? I haven't tried any teas stored in Malaysia so these really spark my interest. Also i see the chinese tea shop has stock another 7542. Any feedback on this one? http://store.thechineseteashop.com/Pu_E ... 0-7542.htm

Oct 28th, '13, 04:52

Re: EOT's Malaysian stored teas

by MarshalN » Oct 28th, '13, 04:52

Most of the Chinese teashop's cakes are pretty suspect. I'd be careful with that one. It doesn't look like what it's claimed, but I guess you can always try and see if it's any good on its own merit.

Don't know about EoT's offerings, but the pictures for the 2004 cake is crazy - one's super light and the other one quite dark. They can't be the same thing. If they are there are some serious problem with the lighting and colour adjustments.

Oct 28th, '13, 06:10

by Zared » Oct 28th, '13, 06:10

I agree with you about Chinese teashop since i've encountered a few duds and rather questionable samples. Its a hit or miss shop. I found the 2000 TQH to be an enjoyable cheap tea but i missed the chance to buy a few cakes before it sold out. Have you try that one? I'm not sure if its the same one that Cloud blogged about but it seamed similar.

Oct 28th, '13, 08:43

by gasninja » Oct 28th, '13, 08:43

Chinese tea shop is hit or miss but mostly miss. Allot of funny things going on there. There where a couple good ones but they have since been sold out or priced way out of there value. As for that 7542 well when they tell you that a tea isn't good to drink now but try it in 3-5 years it's not a good sign. Especially since its already at least 14 years old.

The Malaysian stored teas At EOT are generally pretty tasty. The 2003 Yi wu is not really impressive but I thought the Bulang was excellent similar to the Menghai Bulang Jing pin. The 91 7542 was very well storred starting off with a nice mellow aged taste then gaining strength and becoming more youthful with some nice camphor taste and a long aftertaste. You dont Find Aged teas Like this to often available online.The Yi wu loose issue very good with a nice strong cha qi. The only one that I'm not really impressed with is the 03 Yi wu.

Oct 28th, '13, 08:53

by gasninja » Oct 28th, '13, 08:53

Oh the purple mark is a really nice tea for the money and the age group. The kind of tea I look for not crazy expensive yet but starting to get an aged taste. It has A nice cooling aftertaste.

Oct 28th, '13, 09:33

by puyuan » Oct 28th, '13, 09:33

I haven't tried the purple stamp but I also thought the Bulang 2008 and the 2004 were really good. I like them much better than the few 2013 EOT-label samples I tried*. The "chaqi" effects of the 2004 felt distinctly unusual and I like the balance of properly aged and young sheng qualities. It's syrupy too, which I like. If that's regular Malaysian storage, count me as a fan of it. I haven't tried the 1991 7542 private but it must mean something how fast it sold out.

*Excepting Bulang maocha, which I would have prefered to see in a cake.

Oct 28th, '13, 12:18
Vendor Member

by nada » Oct 28th, '13, 12:18

MarshalN wrote:...the pictures for the 2004 cake is crazy - one's super light and the other one quite dark...
Hmm... I see what you mean. I'm not sure what happened with this one. I'm not at home at the moment, so can't check to make sure but it's possible one of the photos got mixed up when we were uploading the photos for the new site. The photo on the tatami mat should be more correct for this tea.

I'll remove the offending photo just now and take a new one when I get back home.

Oct 29th, '13, 05:18

by Teaism » Oct 29th, '13, 05:18

I am curious by what define a Malaysian stored tea. Is there such a thing?

I spend at least 2 to 3 months per year for many years stalking the tea development in Malaysia and meeting up many tea collectors, shops and vendors. There are dozens of ways of storing tea there from very bad to good storage method. Not sure which type of storage represent this definition. In theory the climate there is humid and constant high temperature but in practice there are thousands of ways to go around it.

Hmmm I am just curious... :wink:

Oct 29th, '13, 08:26

by gasninja » Oct 29th, '13, 08:26

Teaism wrote:I am curious by what define a Malaysian stored tea. Is there such a thing?

I spend at least 2 to 3 months per year for many years stalking the tea development in Malaysia and meeting up many tea collectors, shops and vendors. There are dozens of ways of storing tea there from very bad to good storage method. Not sure which type of storage represent this definition. In theory the climate there is humid and constant high temperature but in practice there are thousands of ways to go around it.

Hmmm I am just curious... :wink:
Malaysian stored tea = tea that has been stored in Malaysia. :D

Oct 29th, '13, 10:16

by Teaism » Oct 29th, '13, 10:16

Haha good one gasninja well done.
I thought storing tea is rocket science. I guess I think too much sometimes. Cheers!

+ Post Reply