Starbucks to Buy Teavana

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 29th, '12, 19:22
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Starbucks to Buy Teavana

by Chip » Nov 29th, '12, 19:22

... moving this topic to Miscellany so it can keep the other Teavana topic company!

Leaving a "shadow" under Other Tea for a day or so ...

Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate

Mar 1st, '13, 09:40

by Chip » Mar 1st, '13, 09:40

I figured we should add this to the topic ... 620 million TeaBucks!!! :shock:

http://news.starbucks.com/article_displ ... cle_id=735

Everyone in the tea biz I have "spoken to" while not pleased to see Andy make a big score based upon his business practices, they all seem to feel this deal is good for the tea industry as Starbucks can infuse a lot of cash to promote tea.

BUT, I heard Andy came with the deal ...

Time will tell whether this was a good or a really bad buy for Starbucks. It was obviously a good deal for Andy.

But at the very least, I expect to see changes to the sales tactics used.

Oct 24th, '13, 06:55

by Drax » Oct 24th, '13, 06:55

Oct 24th, '13, 07:45

by needaTEAcher » Oct 24th, '13, 07:45

Am I happy or sad about this? I mean, if tea gets trendy, that means the market is flooded with crap, but at the same time, maybe we will see a larger market for higher end teas and thus easier access here to real stuff?

Oct 25th, '13, 12:29

by kikula » Oct 25th, '13, 12:29

Well, Teavana sells overpriced, meh tea, treats it's employees horribly and employs notoriously obnoxious and dishonest sales strategies.
Starbucks sells overpriced, meh coffee.
The masses like sweet, strong and "naturally" flavored everything; still, you start buying loose tea and anything can happen. So while not very relevant to serious geeks of coffee and/or tea persuasion, seems like this might mean that newcomers to 'real' tea might be provided with a less confounding and odious experience. And banana caramel double-shot matcha latte, oh well.
Maybe Andy will just have to come over to the Bright Side:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... world.html
Last edited by kikula on Oct 25th, '13, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 25th, '13, 13:32

by Devoted135 » Oct 25th, '13, 13:32

Yeah, the only thing that gives me hope about this is that Starbucks is notoriously good about how they treat their employees. So maybe they'll re-write that part of Teavana's playbook? Then maybe the poor people who work there won't have to act like used car salesmen.

Nov 1st, '13, 11:29

by Drax » Nov 1st, '13, 11:29

The stories keep popping.

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/read- ... 02346.html

Two things come to mind.

1) Somebody here will have to try the tea (I'm assuming that it's not actually going to change too much from their current offerings) and let us know how it goes.

2) Get ready for the onslaught of tea newbies that search for 'tea forum' and end up here... on the plus side, I think we should be ready to warmly welcome them with some freshly brewed tea! :D

Nov 1st, '13, 12:08

by Chip » Nov 1st, '13, 12:08

Drax wrote:Two things come to mind.

1) Somebody here will have to try the tea (I'm assuming that it's not actually going to change too much from their current offerings) and let us know how it goes.

2) Get ready for the onslaught of tea newbies that search for 'tea forum' and end up here... on the plus side, I think we should be ready to warmly welcome them with some freshly brewed tea! :D
+1 Drax especially on #2 :mrgreen:

Nov 1st, '13, 13:50

by yalokinh » Nov 1st, '13, 13:50

I've always hated people that think they know everything about something, and exercise their false wisdom to belittle others that know less than they do. so its a good opportunity to practice knowledge over snobbery.

Nov 3rd, '13, 17:07

by teaformeplease » Nov 3rd, '13, 17:07

I went to the media preview event for the new tea bar and was surprised to find that I actually rather loved the place. The Bkon machine that they use for brewing teas is amazing. I watched it brew and unfurl their Monkey Picked Oolong in 90 seconds. Will it be a place for serious tea drinkers? Not by a long shot. Will it be a good place to bring my sugar addicted boyfriend while I can still get a decent of cup of tea? Absolutely :)

http://www.teaformeplease.com/2013/10/t ... a-bar.html

(I used to be able to post links but I haven't been very active so I guess that was changed. Chip, please let me know if this is ok. If not, I'll definitely remove it.)

Nov 6th, '13, 17:24

by needaTEAcher » Nov 6th, '13, 17:24

+10 to Drax!
yalokinh wrote:I've always hated people that think they know everything about something, and exercise their false wisdom to belittle others that know less than they do. so its a good opportunity to practice knowledge over snobbery.
I hope so, so very much. Snobbery is such an easy trap to fall into, and it is so very counter to the wisdom in the leaves.

Nov 6th, '13, 17:25

by needaTEAcher » Nov 6th, '13, 17:25

Oh, and I will volunteer to try some. Whenever I find myself passing a tea bar or new teavana, I'll give it a go and report back (might never happen, but if it does I'll let you all know)!

Nov 7th, '13, 03:09

by SlientSipper » Nov 7th, '13, 03:09

needaTEAcher wrote:Oh, and I will volunteer to try some. Whenever I find myself passing a tea bar or new teavana, I'll give it a go and report back (might never happen, but if it does I'll let you all know)!
Please don't rip yourself off.

Nov 7th, '13, 12:35

by Chip » Nov 7th, '13, 12:35

needaTEAcher wrote:+10 to Drax!
yalokinh wrote:I've always hated people that think they know everything about something, and exercise their false wisdom to belittle others that know less than they do. so its a good opportunity to practice knowledge over snobbery.
I hope so, so very much. Snobbery is such an easy trap to fall into, and it is so very counter to the wisdom in the leaves.
Snobbery versus true wisdom and knowledge. One could argue that true wisdom and knowledge can lead to snobbery as well ... to one degree or another. Certainly many of us exhibit a degree of tea snobbery, but there is an eagerness to share whatever level of knowledge and wisdom we are able with others. Perhaps an overriding reason we came here in the first place.

Actually in the case of Teavana, visitors are greeted with a superficially instructed associate whose "soul" purpose is to sell sell sell ... suck every dollar they can from you. You will not find knowledge nor wisdom there ... but you will find dire sales tactics in abundance.

I have heard this expression too much lately, but it aptly fits, "It is what it is." As long as you know this "going in," it is worth a walk-through.

Nov 7th, '13, 13:18

by rabbit » Nov 7th, '13, 13:18

Snobbery from a person who knows what they are talking about is rude and uncalled for although at times not altogether surprising... but snobbery from those who "think" they know what they are talking about is downright obnoxious.

And the whole "trendy" coffee and tea market breeds snobby know-it-all's. I want more people to drink tea, but I want them to enjoy the true beauty of the leaf and not the social status it gives them... or just enjoy tea for tea and not because it's healthy or will help you lose weight!

This is the MAIN reason why I don't like companies like Teavana. If they sold real tea/wares and not all this gimmicky stuff (even if it was way over-priced) I would embrace them.

+ Post Reply