Morning Tea (replacing espresso)

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 18th, '13, 12:31

Morning Tea (replacing espresso)

by Noonie » Nov 18th, '13, 12:31

I've been drinking loose leaf for a few years now though when I first wake up I usually make an espresso (nespresso, for convenience). I have one with the same breakfast on most days (before I ride or swim)...and now to get a little personal, it works well for a visit to the bathroom :shock:

Although the prep of the nespresso is quick (a requirement at this time, before I head out for morning exercise...before work), the machine is loud and sometimes my wife is awoken by the noise.

So, because I love tea, and because it's certainly quiet to prepare, I may start having tea shortly after waking up. However, from the times I do have tea first thing in the morning, I don't recall it working so well at prompting the bathroom visit.

Anyone have some info on tea and it's role in encouraging bathroom visits, and what teas may work better?

When I do drink tea first thing it's usually green (fukamushi)...

Thanks!!!

Nov 18th, '13, 13:54
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Re: Morning Tea (replacing espresso)

by sriracha » Nov 18th, '13, 13:54

I start every morning with a pint of hot water with about a tsp. of lemon juice mixed in(lately I've been adding powdered ginger too, for motion sickness). Been doing this for fifteen years. It works the same way as your espresso. =)

Nov 18th, '13, 15:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 18th, '13, 15:35

Hmmm ... I prefer such events to be more ... spontaneous shall we say. I had never even thought of pressing the matter prior to a bike ride (I am an avid road cyclist). :mrgreen:

Nov 18th, '13, 18:21

by Noonie » Nov 18th, '13, 18:21

Chip - good to hear there is another roadie on the boards. I've been cycling for 10+ years. Still love it!

I prefer events to be planned ahead, but careful not to press the matter as you say. I'm going to try a green tomorrow and see how she goes!

sriracha - because I like tea I'm trying to drink more of it...though I've made a mental note re: ginger (which I love) and motion sickness.

Nov 18th, '13, 19:37

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 18th, '13, 19:37

My greatest concern around helping to clear things out in the morning is (similar to Chip) usually before a mt. bike or road bicycle ride (It's funny; I've seen this topic on Bicycle forums too. :D ) or before I meet with my Gong Fu teacher for martial arts in the early mornings...or before a dawn patrol surf on the north coast: few things worse than being 50 yards out into the ocean, all zipped up in 4mm neoprene and having things "start to move." :lol:

Either way, I don't drink coffee and also don't like to put tea straight into my stomach upon waking; though my stomach is pretty "iron" and not sensitive. I wake and drink about 24 to 32 ounces of room temp. water and that usually does the job. Though doing as sriracha does sounds pleasant too. During a Master Cleanse I've woken and drank room temp. or slightly warmed water with maple syrup, lemon, and cayenne and that seemed to work great every time, even after not having eaten for days. However, tea usually does help get things moving for me, though not as intensely as coffee has in the past.

Nov 19th, '13, 04:19

by sriracha » Nov 19th, '13, 04:19

Oh yes, chili is a good thing to add to water too even though personally I am a little too sensitive. My parents add about 18 drops of tabasco to theirs. Good for an immune system boost.

Nov 20th, '13, 04:44

by Suutej_Tsaj » Nov 20th, '13, 04:44

Either sage and lemon juice in hot water, as sriracha suggested, or a good wulong.
A robust bowl of matcha will surely do something on an empty stomach, too.

Nov 20th, '13, 06:14

by sriracha » Nov 20th, '13, 06:14

Suutej_Tsaj wrote: A robust bowl of matcha will surely do something on an empty stomach, too.
Oh, I'd avoid that >_<

Nov 20th, '13, 06:16

by sriracha » Nov 20th, '13, 06:16

Noonie wrote: sriracha - because I like tea I'm trying to drink more of it...though I've made a mental note re: ginger (which I love) and motion sickness.
Of course, this is just for health reasons. After this I drink a huge cup of black tea, close to 1L.

Nov 21st, '13, 04:10
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 21st, '13, 04:10

Coffee beans have a natural protective coating that has a laxative effect; tea won't do the same thing, that's for sure. Considered a Vietnamese coffee maker? I use one most mornings now and coffee really gets me going. Tea is much milder, more relaxing and even euphoric (seriously) after all the coffee I've been drinking. I think I'll start off my day with coffee and drink tea later on in the day to wind down, with occasional coffee-free days so my tolerance doesn't get too high!

Nov 25th, '13, 09:34

by danny » Nov 25th, '13, 09:34

I always used to drink espresso first thing in the morning as I'm always in a rush and trying to save time. But it does have the same effect, sending me to the toilet. I guess at this stage, a cup of tea can be had in the same period of time, rather than enduring those espresso effects.

+ Post Reply