Nov 18th, '13, 18:43

Packaging of shipments

by andrzej bero » Nov 18th, '13, 18:43

... And Now For Something Completely Different.
I have a general question so let me ask it here. (Unless Chip has a different opinion and take it to the TeawareArtisan chapter)
question (I hope understandable):
How important for you is a way of packaging items (such as ceramics) which you order? Of course, safety is the most important I presume. However are there any other important elements such as aesthetic for example? Does the use for packaging recycled materials (old newspapers, broken pieces of styrofoam etc.) is a problem for you? Or would you rather pay more for an item wrapped in a new and attractive materials?

Nov 18th, '13, 19:23

Re: packaging of shipments

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 18th, '13, 19:23

Andrzej,

Greetings! I have actually been meaning to thank you for how well your packages have been wrapped and prepared when I receive my orders. All of my orders have arrived undamaged.

Personally, it does not matter to me at all what appearance the packaging has; the most important factor is the safe arrival of your pieces to my home. Being American, the packaging often does have interest to me due to the fact that the newspaper inside the packaging is Polish. I have, each time I receive a package, I actually opened the folded newspaper pieces to look at the adds and articles and sample the feeling of Polish culture on those folded pages. :D

The most important factor for me is the safety of your pieces while in transit. Their safe arrival due to being packaged thoughtfully and well, is my greatest concern. The aesthetics/appearance of the packaging doesn't affect me either way. I hope that helps!

Blessings!

Nov 18th, '13, 21:05
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 18th, '13, 21:05

I don't want to pay more (especially a significant amount more) for pretty packaging; nonetheless, I think most people enjoy pretty packing, including me who would choose ugly packing if given it as a much cheaper option.
I don't know how many of your packages get seriously checked by customs officials. Having had a terrible experience once, my main concern would be to pack in a way that items may easily be returned properly to a box from which officials taken those items for examination.

Nov 19th, '13, 03:00

by David R. » Nov 19th, '13, 03:00

I have to admit that I like to know that the vendor is taking care of the packaging. As far as I know, japanese vendors are the best in this area : Kurimoto gallery, Magokorodo, and Artistic Nippon make it so that I won't have nightmares about broken teacups or teapots. Here's an recent example of an order from AN : double side tape and little cushions : clever and efficient. Also not too much material which is good.
Attachments
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG (32.34 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

Nov 19th, '13, 09:54

Re: Packaging of shipments

by paul haigh » Nov 19th, '13, 09:54

I struggle with this as well. I don't want to pass the cost of packaging on, and I strive to be enviro-friendly, but doing it right and looking professional are part of the experience as well so I end up using new material and fresh boxes.

Whatever you do- don't start using just newspaper/crumpled paper. A little humidity or jostling, and it flattenes out and loses all protective value.

Nov 19th, '13, 11:49

by JBaymore » Nov 19th, '13, 11:49

paul haigh wrote:I struggle with this as well. I don't want to pass the cost of packaging on, and I strive to be enviro-friendly, but doing it right and looking professional are part of the experience as well so I end up using new material and fresh boxes.

Whatever you do- don't start using just newspaper/crumpled paper. A little humidity or jostling, and it flattenes out and loses all protective value.
Ditto here.

Shipping breakage is about 99% caused by the settling of packing materials (like lose peanuts) and the resultant movement of packed objects (hitting each other).

I talk about this subject with students...........

In America at a "craft fair" or home sale or something like that, WAY too many potters will grab any old newspapers or the like and wrap it around the piece haphazardly, stick some masking tape on it, and stuff it in an old Walmart plastic bag with the smiley face on it.

In Japan, a piece is carefully wrapped in brand new foam materials, carefully folded like an origami work and usually taped with some special looking tape. Then they are placed in some beautiful new wrapping paper, usually a graphic design award winner pattern, and again a folding and taping masterpiece. They they go into a brand new cardoard box, and the box is again wrapped in beautiful paper and folded to a perfection that would make a Marine bed making inspection look pale by comparison.

In Japan...... pots and potters are appreciated. :roll: :lol: And the prices for good piece are high.

Coincidence?

best,

.................john

Nov 19th, '13, 12:07

by paul haigh » Nov 19th, '13, 12:07

JBaymore wrote:
In America at a "craft fair" or home sale or something like that, WAY too many potters will grab any old newspapers or the like and wrap it around the piece haphazardly, stick some masking tape on it, and stuff it in an old Walmart plastic bag with the smiley face on it.

In Japan, a piece is carefully wrapped in brand new foam materials, carefully folded like an origami work and usually taped with some special looking tape. Then they are placed in some beautiful new wrapping paper, usually a graphic design award winner pattern, and again a folding and taping masterpiece. They they go into a brand new cardoard box, and the box is again wrapped in beautiful paper and folded to a perfection that would make a Marine bed making inspection look pale by comparison.

In Japan...... pots and potters are appreciated. :roll: :lol: And the prices for good piece are high.

Coincidence?

best,

.................john
Ha! I'm somewhere between the two at craft fairs- fresh craft paper and a paper bag with handles. When I start making the same margin as they do in Japan, I will personally give back rub with every pot. (I think that horse has left the barn as far as cause and effect in American crafts)

Nov 19th, '13, 12:22

by JBaymore » Nov 19th, '13, 12:22

paul haigh wrote: (I think that horse has left the barn as far as cause and effect in American crafts)
Yup. Unfortunately.

best,

..................john

Nov 19th, '13, 12:48

by debunix » Nov 19th, '13, 12:48

I've only once had a problem with artisan cermics broken on arrival, and it was indeed a difficult size/shape to protect. Virtually all the pieces I've received have had at least one layer of bubble wrap around the item, and I've never worried or really cared about the rest of the packaging as long as the item arrived intact.

As long as the item arrives safely, the rest really doesn't matter very much. I appreciate recycling and recyclable materials, don't mind a reused box, and I get a bit frustrated when there is so much tape that I have trouble unwrapping the item, but if that is clearly why the item arrived intact, that doesn't matter either.

When I know the fate of the packaging is to be eagerly ripped open and to be recycled or thrown out immediately, pretty wrap is a waste and that makes me just a little bit sad.

Nov 19th, '13, 13:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Nov 19th, '13, 13:26

Good packaging is very important to me. If something (especially ceramics) is packaged well I am more likely to become a repeat customer because I can trust that everything will arrive without defects. If a ceramics piece is damaged or destroyed, it is not just the money value that you lose as the piece can never be exactly recreated.

I have to admit that I also prefer if the packaging material used is actual "professional" packaging material. It just makes the vendor appear more professional to me. Also, packaging material that is specifically produced for the purpose of protecting items transported in boxes is likely to be better at that task.
Additionally, the act of packaging itself would be an easier job for the person doing it. Less time would have to be spent a) thinking about what recycled materials would be appropriate to use for an individual item/box and b) actually making these recycled materials fit an individual item/box.

There are relatively enviroment friendly options, like biodegradable or recyclable materials that you could (should) use so as not to use styrofoam or oil based plastic.

If you send many packages regularly, you should be able to buy packaging material in bulk at a relatively low price. This should only lead to something like a 1 Euro increase in shipping costs per package, which to me is completely acceptable.

All that being said, #1 priority is that the item is packaged in a way that ensures that it will arrive safely at its destination.
Last edited by Stentor on Nov 19th, '13, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 19th, '13, 13:29

by William » Nov 19th, '13, 13:29

Honestly, I only care that the contents of the package arrives undamaged! If I had to choose, I would say that recycled materials such as packages of other items are a great choice, especially for the environment.

Regards,
W.

Nov 19th, '13, 14:37

by Chip » Nov 19th, '13, 14:37

Sadly, I like to open a package filled with wonderfully presented teaware goodies. I say sadly because I would like to feel I am "green" minded. :mrgreen:

However, I am not overly fixated on needing pretty packaging as long as the contents are packaged to ensure safe passage. I am often amazed at all the innovative and different ways potters come up with to accomplish this. :!: :idea: :arrow:

Nov 19th, '13, 16:08

by JRS22 » Nov 19th, '13, 16:08

Pretty packaging is gone in an instant as I rush to unpack the tea ware. My only concern is that the contents arrive unscathed and ready to use and enjoy for many years. Of course it's generally a 'gift' from me to me. If I was buying tea ware to send to someone else as a gift I would be interested in paying extra for gift wrapping.

Nov 20th, '13, 11:18

by hopeofdawn » Nov 20th, '13, 11:18

JRS22 wrote:Pretty packaging is gone in an instant as I rush to unpack the tea ware. My only concern is that the contents arrive unscathed and ready to use and enjoy for many years. Of course it's generally a 'gift' from me to me. If I was buying tea ware to send to someone else as a gift I would be interested in paying extra for gift wrapping.
+1 I would agree--protective and recyclable/biodegradable are more important to me than looks when it comes to buying for myself. The only exception I can think of to that would be if it came with a box I intended to continue to store the item in, like the signed wood boxes for Japanese wares. Otherwise it's going to get thrown out anyway, so ...

But having an option to pay a little extra for nice gift wrapping is always great when buying for someone else. Especially around the holidays! :)

Nov 20th, '13, 12:16

by Chasm » Nov 20th, '13, 12:16

I only care about how well it is packed so that it arrives undamaged. Being able to open it without the packing filler exploding into a mess is also nice, but I'll deal with mess without comment if it means the item was very securely packed.

+ Post Reply