Nov 22nd, '13, 16:23

Zared: trade aged samples

by Zared » Nov 22nd, '13, 16:23

I was thinking of offering these for trade if anyone is interested. These are all 10g sheng. If you want something let me know what you want to trade. 10g

Henry Trading Co. (HK)
Early 90's toucha, 2 version
late 90's 7592

Sunsing (HK)
99 Dadugang
96 loose
83 loose
95 7581 (shu)

Other bits
Mid 90's 8582 (TW)
Early 90's 7542???? (Germany)
Early 90's Xuguan tou (TW)

Nov 23rd, '13, 00:50

Re: Zared: trade aged samples

by bryan_drinks_tea » Nov 23rd, '13, 00:50

This sounds good. I'm going to look through my cabinet and see what I have and get back to you.

Nov 23rd, '13, 04:01

by Zared » Nov 23rd, '13, 04:01

I should probably mention that i'd like to trade for 80/90's, 00-05 w/ HK storage or similar and newer boutique type cakes (eg. LBZ, gushu, EOT, Wisteria, Yiwu, +$100/357g). Also 2011 Jin Dayi or 2005 CGHT Menghai Yesheng (Houde)

Nov 25th, '13, 03:42

by TuoChaTea » Nov 25th, '13, 03:42

By 10g you mean these are 10 gram samples?

Nov 25th, '13, 08:49

by Zared » Nov 25th, '13, 08:49

TuoChaTea wrote:By 10g you mean these are 10 gram samples?
Yes each is 10g

Nov 25th, '13, 12:05

by shah82 » Nov 25th, '13, 12:05

Dang! Nothing on that list speaks out to me, but keep me in mind if you have 10g of other aged samples...

Nov 25th, '13, 12:17

by shah82 » Nov 25th, '13, 12:17

Actually, that's wrong... I *am* vaguely interested in the aged shu. Without more knowledge of the provenance and storage, I can't be strongly interested in the mid '90s 8582 or Xiaguan tuo. Therefore, not very interested in making a, what would be in my mind, *fair* trade. I don't have aged shu, and wouldn't be willing to trade any XZH shu in exchange for the aged shu offered here, for example...

Now, if you've gone off and getting samples from Far Wenwa Puerh, or the like, and want to split some in exchange, I'll be interested!

Nov 25th, '13, 18:00

by Zared » Nov 25th, '13, 18:00

shah82 wrote:Actually, that's wrong... I *am* vaguely interested in the aged shu. Without more knowledge of the provenance and storage, I can't be strongly interested in the mid '90s 8582 or Xiaguan tuo. Therefore, not very interested in making a, what would be in my mind, *fair* trade. I don't have aged shu, and wouldn't be willing to trade any XZH shu in exchange for the aged shu offered here, for example...

Now, if you've gone off and getting samples from Far Wenwa Puerh, or the like, and want to split some in exchange, I'll be interested!
I suspect none of these would interest you that much since they're are far from dry/natural storage which i think you prefer based on your many post.

A fair trade in my mind is something of similar cost. If you don't want to trade a similar priced tea because you think yours is better than what i'm offering than thats your choice.

Nov 25th, '13, 20:08

by shah82 » Nov 25th, '13, 20:08

*lecture mode*

1) First of all, price has very little to do with quality when it comes to puerh tea. Hai Lang Hao is more expensive than XZH, but that doesn't mean that their tea is better. You have to know what the proper price is for thing such that you avoid overpaying for something, or avoid underpaying for something (which turns out not to be what you want). Moreover, older tea shops like Houde has much better price to quality ratios than younger places, because they've bought their teas earlier. Even forgetting Houde, think about the difference in price/quality ratios when it comes to Royal Puer and TeaUrchin. This is not considering places like China Flair or PurePuer.

2) Any time you deal with older tea, storage is paramount. What's also paramount is understanding that there is relatively little open access to high quality, well stored tea, regardless of how much people are willing to pay for them. Regardless of storage, most older teas costs more than younger tea, but there isn't necessarily any magic that accrues just out of age. I've had enough mid-'90s teas to know that relatively standard grades of sheng, wet, dry, do not necessarily offer that enhanced drinking experience (at least not without excellent 25+ years of storage). A 1995 camphor CNNP 7542 from finepuer costs $500, for example. However, it's not better than the 2002 Dayi Yiwu that costs $220, and it's vastly inferior to a 2006 Mandarin's Tea Room Yiwu that costs $224. Mid '90s cakes that offers an experience worth pursuing typically costs north of $1000, but most of them aren't *that* exciting, and again, there is often little correlation to actual quality--A $680 '97 Fengqing from Best Tea House will definitely outdo many more expensive teas, even as it's really dry.

3) Price/fair exchange is dependent on need. I could use more education on aged shu, but I've had it pretty drummed into me the somewhat poor price/quality ratio of aged shu. There are exceptions, of course, but there is an irredeemable information assymetry here, you don't know how you'd like my tea, and I don't know how I'd like your tea, because we don't have similar stockpiles. Moreover, the stuff from places I'd trust, especially Sunsing, aren't really my bailiwick, while things like that 8582, there is no way I'd be interested without more information about it. TW? Taiwan? From where in Taiwan? etc.

I gave you feedback just so you know I might be interested in the future.

Nov 25th, '13, 20:19

by gasninja » Nov 25th, '13, 20:19

That mid. 90s 8582. From .Taiwan is a good one . The storage is good aswell.

Nov 25th, '13, 20:50

by Zared » Nov 25th, '13, 20:50

shah82 wrote:*lecture mode*

1) First of all, price has very little to do with quality when it comes to puerh tea. Hai Lang Hao is more expensive than XZH, but that doesn't mean that their tea is better. You have to know what the proper price is for thing such that you avoid overpaying for something, or avoid underpaying for something (which turns out not to be what you want). Moreover, older tea shops like Houde has much better price to quality ratios than younger places, because they've bought their teas earlier. Even forgetting Houde, think about the difference in price/quality ratios when it comes to Royal Puer and TeaUrchin. This is not considering places like China Flair or PurePuer.

2) Any time you deal with older tea, storage is paramount. What's also paramount is understanding that there is relatively little open access to high quality, well stored tea, regardless of how much people are willing to pay for them. Regardless of storage, most older teas costs more than younger tea, but there isn't necessarily any magic that accrues just out of age. I've had enough mid-'90s teas to know that relatively standard grades of sheng, wet, dry, do not necessarily offer that enhanced drinking experience (at least not without excellent 25+ years of storage). A 1995 camphor CNNP 7542 from finepuer costs $500, for example. However, it's not better than the 2002 Dayi Yiwu that costs $220, and it's vastly inferior to a 2006 Mandarin's Tea Room Yiwu that costs $224. Mid '90s cakes that offers an experience worth pursuing typically costs north of $1000, but most of them aren't *that* exciting, and again, there is often little correlation to actual quality--A $680 '97 Fengqing from Best Tea House will definitely outdo many more expensive teas, even as it's really dry.

3) Price/fair exchange is dependent on need. I could use more education on aged shu, but I've had it pretty drummed into me the somewhat poor price/quality ratio of aged shu. There are exceptions, of course, but there is an irredeemable information assymetry here, you don't know how you'd like my tea, and I don't know how I'd like your tea, because we don't have similar stockpiles. Moreover, the stuff from places I'd trust, especially Sunsing, aren't really my bailiwick, while things like that 8582, there is no way I'd be interested without more information about it. TW? Taiwan? From where in Taiwan? etc.

I never said anything about price in relation to quality. I merely stated that i'd trade these for matching cost. I'm not trying to make money or cheat anyone. It seems simple to trade tea i paid $5 for tea someone else payed $5 for. Please don't go into *lecture mode*. Its a bit condescending and rude.

Nov 25th, '13, 20:56

by Zared » Nov 25th, '13, 20:56

Zared wrote:
shah82 wrote:*lecture mode*

I never said anything about price in relation to quality.

Please don't go into *lecture mode*. Its a bit condescending and rude.

Nov 25th, '13, 21:03

by puyuan » Nov 25th, '13, 21:03

shah82 wrote:think about the difference in price/quality ratios when it comes to Royal Puer and TeaUrchin. This is not considering places like China Flair or PurePuer.
Sorry to intrude but this sounded a little cryptic to me, as I only know half of these vendors. Would you care to expound? Thanks.

Nov 25th, '13, 21:08

by Zared » Nov 25th, '13, 21:08

I only mentioned price because i planned to trade these sample at the price i payed. Meaning if someone wants 3 sample that cost me $15 than id like to something similar back. That seems like a fairly simple way to trade a couple small samples. Maybe the quality or what not might be the same but its less complicated that way. Its up to the other person to decide if thats fair for them.

Nov 26th, '13, 14:39

by teaskeptic » Nov 26th, '13, 14:39

gasninja wrote:That mid. 90s 8582. From .Taiwan is a good one . The storage is good aswell.
What does ".Taiwan" mean?

+ Post Reply