TeaDay 11/24/13: Unendorsed Spam Input Wanted

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Please read the topic. Should TeaChat have a "free zone" where tea(ware) related spam would be placed for members to read (or ignore)?

Yes
21%
No
79%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 28

Nov 27th, '13, 11:24

Re: TeaDay 11/24/13: Unendorsed Spam Input Wanted

by MIKE_B » Nov 27th, '13, 11:24

Poohblah wrote:I think it is good to have a designated place for vendors to advertise their products and promote sales, for tea-related startups to get the word out about their new business, for people and establishments to announce events and gatherings, and so on.
I'm onboard with this too.

Nov 27th, '13, 12:07

by debunix » Nov 27th, '13, 12:07

I have been thinking about this one for a while--I have no problem ignoring topics that I don't want to follow, so I can easily ignore a whole forum if necessary, and if that means there is less of it drifting through the other topics, that's worth something too.

Nov 27th, '13, 12:17

by Poohblah » Nov 27th, '13, 12:17

debunix wrote:I have been thinking about this one for a while--I have no problem ignoring topics that I don't want to follow, so I can easily ignore a whole forum if necessary, and if that means there is less of it drifting through the other topics, that's worth something too.
I have a few people on my "ignore" list as well. It hides their posts and their messages in the chat. Another thing to consider :)

Nov 27th, '13, 12:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Nov 27th, '13, 12:28

MIKE_B wrote:
Poohblah wrote:I think it is good to have a designated place for vendors to advertise their products and promote sales, for tea-related startups to get the word out about their new business, for people and establishments to announce events and gatherings, and so on.
I'm onboard with this too.
Yes, this seems reasonable. As TeaArt alluded too, I have definitely benefited from an occasional "heads up" about sales going on.

Nov 27th, '13, 13:20

by Chip » Nov 27th, '13, 13:20

Poohblah wrote:
debunix wrote:I have been thinking about this one for a while--I have no problem ignoring topics that I don't want to follow, so I can easily ignore a whole forum if necessary, and if that means there is less of it drifting through the other topics, that's worth something too.
I have a few people on my "ignore" list as well. It hides their posts and their messages in the chat. Another thing to consider :)
... ummm, can you hear me? :lol:

Nov 27th, '13, 13:25

by Chip » Nov 27th, '13, 13:25

I'm not entirely sure what you're proposing here, Chip, but if it meets the goals I enumerated above, then I support it.

From what I understand, you seem to be suggesting a kind of publicly-viewable "jail" or "quarantine" for vendor posts that otherwise fall out of line? :?:
It is a bit hard to say, exactly. I would say the category/forum would serve both purposes, maybe more. This could evolve as the needs of the forum evolve.

The bottom line, tea related spam would not be deleted, but moved directly to this category/forum. I do not delete spam, but keep it for future reference.

Currently, I have an admin "spam" forum. I immediately move suspected spam to this forum for review and action. This forum is out of sight of members.

Nov 27th, '13, 17:36

by sherubtse » Nov 27th, '13, 17:36

Maybe ....

But I think such notifications should (and do in many cases) come from members. One compromise may be to have a thread or sub-forum where sales, etc are announced, but only by members.

(Now quick, Chip, close voting while the No side is still ahead! :lol: )

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 27th, '13, 23:02

by Poohblah » Nov 27th, '13, 23:02

sherubtse wrote:
Maybe ....

But I think such notifications should (and do in many cases) come from members. One compromise may be to have a thread or sub-forum where sales, etc are announced, but only by members.
I don't think allowing guest posts was ever part of the proposal. I don't see why we should allow non-members / non-account-holders to make any kind of post. Though I believe anonymous or guest accounts were allowed in the past, this is certainly not the case now.

Nov 28th, '13, 08:17

by sherubtse » Nov 28th, '13, 08:17

Poohblah wrote:I don't think allowing guest posts was ever part of the proposal. I don't see why we should allow non-members / non-account-holders to make any kind of post. Though I believe anonymous or guest accounts were allowed in the past, this is certainly not the case now.
I should have referred to *non-vendor* members in my previous post, rather than just members in general.

Thanks for catching this.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Dec 1st, '13, 20:11

by Chip » Dec 1st, '13, 20:11

By a 20-6 margin, TeaChat has said "NO" to the great spam referendum of 2013. 8) So the status quo will continue on ...

Members can still vote and comment, but the official tally is over.

Dec 1st, '13, 22:03

by JBaymore » Dec 1st, '13, 22:03

PS: Oops.... missed the cutoff on voting. Sorry...... to quote Emily Litella (or was it Rosanne Rosanadana), "Nevermind".

Dec 2nd, '13, 09:45

by IzzieBot » Dec 2nd, '13, 09:45

If there was a way to put those categories completely on ignore (so they wouldn't show up even under View New Posts) I'd be OK with it.

only problem is this might deter new members who don't know that you can just turn that option off. They might see the list of new posts flooded with spam and think "well this is a crappy forum, no thanks".

So I worry. Actually, could you code it so that they don't show up under "new posts" at all? But the question would then be if that defeats the purpose...

It's tough cause I have definitely discovered some awesome vendors / bloggers who promote themselves on forums like these but there's always a slippery slope.

I'll support either decision, though. It might be good for the site if implemented correctly, but on the other hand, what's here is wonderful as is as well.

Dec 2nd, '13, 20:02

by Chip » Dec 2nd, '13, 20:02

JBaymore wrote:PS: Oops.... missed the cutoff on voting. Sorry...... to quote Emily Litella (or was it Rosanne Rosanadana), "Nevermind".
let's go with Rosanne Rosanadana!!! :lol:

+ Post Reply