Nov 21st, '13, 15:16

U.C. Davis Free Two Day Art of Tea Colloquium/Tasting

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 21st, '13, 15:16

For anyone near Sacramento or U.C. Davis, noted tea master Ip Wingchi and tsiosophy.com scholar Steven D. Owyoung will be giving a tea tasting, as well as a colloquium on tea today, Thurs. Nov. 21, 2013 from 3:10-5p.m. and on Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 from 3-5 p.m. at U.C. Davis (http://eastasian.ucdavis.edu/Tea%20at%20UCD.pdf). There is also more information here:(http://eastasian.ucdavis.edu/events).

Ip Wingchi will also be at Teance in Berkeley, Ca. Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 from 5-6:30 p.m. to share tea and discuss pu-erh (http://www.teance.com/category-s/96.htm).

Blessings!

Nov 21st, '13, 19:32

Re: U.C. Davis Free Two Day Art of Tea Colloquium/Tasting

by tst » Nov 21st, '13, 19:32

Hey Scott,

Any info on the session down in Berkeley? It's a little ways from me (I'm in the south bay), but I'd be interested to know more. Any reservation required? Thanks!

Nov 22nd, '13, 01:09

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 22nd, '13, 01:09

Taylor,

Greetings...nice to hear from you and congratulations on the job!

The tea tasting/talk is at Teance in Berkeley. They have a large round, stone tea bar where one can drink tea. Sat. night's gathering is a free event (no reg. required) and one pays a normal "tasting fee" to try their teas. I'm on their mailing list; they have some interesting events.

Sat. night's event is from 5-6:30 p.m. Ip Wingchi will be there to answer questions on pu-erh. They bill him as "one of the 10 recognized pu-erh authorities." I met with him tonight, very nice gentleman and tea practitioner...very humble and sincere.

On Fri. Nov. 22nd at 7p.m. Teance will host a slideshow on their recent Winter harvest adventures. They'll have tastings of Da Yu Ling in limited supply. This one requires tickets and you can purchase a ticket on their website (teance.com). They're going to have a host of teas and explore recent news on everything going on with the winter harvest.

Also, now that you are down in that area...Song Tea and Ceramics is open for a tea space, the owner is the son of the Red Blossom tea family I believe. I have yet to go and check it out but hope to do so soon. You can find them at http://songtea.com/.

In the south bay (east side) there is a little tea shop called 101 Tea worth stopping in if you every use the Mission Blvd. split between hwy. 680 and hwy. 880. They have some decent teas and tea table to sit to for tastings.

Also, I enjoyed my time at Mt. View Tea Village (http://www.mvteavillage.com/). There are a lot of great shops nearby and the owner has his own tea farm and lots of teas. He doesn't generally pour for guests; though if he suspects you are a sincere/serious tea drinker he will make an exception. He's a gruff, sincere Taiwanese man but he has some interesting teaware in the store and knows his stuff when it comes to tea. He carries some small farm specialty teas that are hard to find elsewhere. It could be a nice 1/2 day trip for you and your wife to walk the nearby shops and restaurants and check out the tea.

Blessings!

Nov 22nd, '13, 16:15

by Evan Draper » Nov 22nd, '13, 16:15

I will be in Sacto for a business trip the weekend of Mar 14-16. The library says the exhibit will be there in March, but it doesn't specify a closing date.... Dunno if I will have access to a car either.

But definitely check out that event, Owyoung is boss.

Nov 26th, '13, 15:47

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 26th, '13, 15:47

Evan Draper wrote:I will be in Sacto for a business trip the weekend of Mar 14-16. The library says the exhibit will be there in March, but it doesn't specify a closing date.... Dunno if I will have access to a car either.

But definitely check out that event, Owyoung is boss.
Evan,

I enjoyed the little time I spent with Mr. Owyoung after one of the presentations. He is very sincere, approachable, and seemed quite genuine. His talk on the history of tea as it evolved from China to Japan and Korea was one of the most skillful, and yet complete, reductions of tea's rich history I have ever witnessed/read. In an hour and a half he covered amazing ground with clarity and patience while presenting a rich slide show to further illuminate his talk. He also, to me, came across as entirely without pomp, which I appreciate, but then again I only spent two days with him.

The exhibit may be there. I don't know. It's not a very large exhibit and is composed mostly of Ip Wingchi's very skilled calligraphy and some various tea implements from Lokcha in Hong Kong.

There are some very exciting things taking place at U.C. Davis around tea. There is currently grant writing taking place from members within the East Asian Studies program to fund a complete tea research and practice center that would combine western science with interdisciplinary research from the humanities and attempt to present also the art of tea. The hoped for outcome is for a Chinese strolling garden, potential Japanese garden, tea research center, a grown crop of various tea plants, etc. It's a very exciting prospect. U.C. Davis is known for its agriculture and strong science programs and has a really rich East Asian Studies program composed of people such as Michelle Yeh and Katherine Burnett. It could become something, scientifically, on par with Taiwan's Tea Research Institute, attracting doctorate students, etc. The basic scientific underlayment is in place with the already flourishing Viticulture department. But what I was told is that the program will be more than just science; it will include the history, context, and art of tea.

Our present plan is to be moved back to Taiwan around January or February but that plan is uncertain. If we don't fully move back we usually spend late Winter or early Spring in Taiwan for six weeks. However, if we are here while you are visiting Sacramento we'd be honored to have you to our house to connect and share tea in the tearoom. Sacramento is a somewhat "tea desolate" place, though the S.F. Bay area is nearby. If we remain in the U.S. we are looking into ways to change that.

Blessings!

Nov 27th, '13, 03:36

by wyardley » Nov 27th, '13, 03:36

Did anyone take pictures?

Nov 27th, '13, 15:15

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 27th, '13, 15:15

wyardley wrote:Did anyone take pictures?

I'll get in touch with Katherine Burnett to see about pictures. There was video taken of the talk and I hope to contact Mrs. Burnett to find out if that footage will be made widely available. I do have some photos I took and will try to upload a few. I only took a few, some of a tea table Mr. Ip designed, pictures of his calligraphy (most of it is (草寫)style, very flowing and clean), and some of the gentleman giving their talks.

Blessings!

Nov 29th, '13, 10:12

by Evan Draper » Nov 29th, '13, 10:12

Thanks TeaArt, would be great to meet you! I am really unclear about what this business trip will look like, and maybe I will have to spend an extra day in CA to see about the tea buzz in Davis....

+ Post Reply