Fake Dayis

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 22nd, '13, 12:04

Re: Fake Dayis

by AllanK » Nov 22nd, '13, 12:04

chin wrote:Information and pictures on fake Dayi Tea's. I have attached the link below in Translated version.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... qRwor-Nh5g
I would never be able to tell that those are fake. Thanks for attaching the translation. I guess I will be able to tell for sure when I get the one that is definitely real in about two weeks. Even though I have only bought about ten or twelve Dayi cakes I immediately thought something amiss. The seal not being firmly attached could mean he used that tea for a photo and rewrapped it. Although, Dayi seals are usually made so you can't get them off in one piece, probably to keep someone from reusing it. I am still not certain but was convinced enough to put in an order from Berylleb King Tea for a replacement.

Nov 22nd, '13, 14:44

by Zared » Nov 22nd, '13, 14:44

I don't think anybody is gonna reuse the ticket since that would mean they need one legit cake for every fake they sell. No profit in that. Plus that legit cake would become worthless w/o proper tickets/stickers. Normally it's a fake tea with fake ticket ect. I've never hear someone complain about fake tea with real reused tickets.

BTW those tickets/stickers are pretty much same for all Dayi cakes so if you already have legit ones you can compare them. No need to buy another 7572.

Nov 22nd, '13, 20:12

by mr mopu » Nov 22nd, '13, 20:12

AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:That has been re wrapped. This link will show another Menghai cake that is "wrapped" in the proper way. Notice how the quality tag sets on top of the info printed on the wrapper. Menghai Dayi cakes from about 2008 are ALL wrapped in the same fashion if they are not "tampered" with. The outer tag should glow under a fluorescent and show the word Dayi under such a light. The outer tag should also have the word Dayi in the fleur de lis under the menghai symbol. Here is a link that will hopefully clear it up for you.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Yunnan-Men ... 79198a13cb. I never buy any Dayi without a picture of the back of the cake to avoid these things.
You say it should glow under a fluorescent light? Only fluorescent, I don't think my apartment lighting is fluorescent but will try.
You would need a light like this one and they are cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-Handheld-P ... 3cca7d8ca2. Works every time.
Thanks for the suggestion. Bought the light on Ebay. Should have it in a few days and will test the Dayi. However, when I peeled the seal off the tea it came off very easily, too easily. If they re-wrapped it as you surmise they might have gotten hold of a used Menghai Dayi seal. That would explain why it was not stuck on like every other Dayi I have bought.
That is what I was thinking. If you are looking for Dayi feel free to pass the link to me before you buy if you wish. I may not be perfect but maybe I can spot ones that are questionable. The tags on the inside will vary as to how much tea covers them but most have a little more than that and a lot are "submarined" and buried so that most of it is covered.
I think I will buy the one in your link and compare it. If I could be certain it is definitely fake I would certainly name the vendor. At this point I am not ready to.
The tea in the link is "Real" and I have it in my cupboard. I always use the light and the seller I linked has never sold me a "fake".
I bought a tea from Berylleb King Tea, the exact same 7572 I thought I had bought. I should be able to compare the two in about two weeks or so.
Yeah I saw someone bought one from Berylleb last night. You will get it fast and be able to see the difference. They actually source tea for me over there. I have gotten things you don't see over here from them. Here is an example. http://steepster.com/teas/menghai-tea-f ... lighthouse

Nov 23rd, '13, 03:11

by Emmett » Nov 23rd, '13, 03:11

Nov 23rd, '13, 03:35

by Zared » Nov 23rd, '13, 03:35

Emmett wrote:Take a look at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321135051693?ss ... 1438.l2649
A total fake but looks sorta tasty. I wonder if its any good.

Nov 27th, '13, 21:31

by AllanK » Nov 27th, '13, 21:31

mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:That has been re wrapped. This link will show another Menghai cake that is "wrapped" in the proper way. Notice how the quality tag sets on top of the info printed on the wrapper. Menghai Dayi cakes from about 2008 are ALL wrapped in the same fashion if they are not "tampered" with. The outer tag should glow under a fluorescent and show the word Dayi under such a light. The outer tag should also have the word Dayi in the fleur de lis under the menghai symbol. Here is a link that will hopefully clear it up for you.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Yunnan-Men ... 79198a13cb. I never buy any Dayi without a picture of the back of the cake to avoid these things.
You say it should glow under a fluorescent light? Only fluorescent, I don't think my apartment lighting is fluorescent but will try.
Thanks for the suggestion. Bought the light on Ebay. Should have it in a few days and will test the Dayi. However, when I peeled the seal off the tea it came off very easily, too easily. If they re-wrapped it as you surmise they might have gotten hold of a used Menghai Dayi seal. That would explain why it was not stuck on like every other Dayi I have bought.
That is what I was thinking. If you are looking for Dayi feel free to pass the link to me before you buy if you wish. I may not be perfect but maybe I can spot ones that are questionable. The tags on the inside will vary as to how much tea covers them but most have a little more than that and a lot are "submarined" and buried so that most of it is covered.
I think I will buy the one in your link and compare it. If I could be certain it is definitely fake I would certainly name the vendor. At this point I am not ready to.
The tea in the link is "Real" and I have it in my cupboard. I always use the light and the seller I linked has never sold me a "fake".
I got the light and used it on the tea. It had a hologram, but different from most of my other Dayis. It did not have the word Dayi light up. My question is, would the word Dayi light up? Are all holograms the same since 2008 or have they changed them?

Nov 27th, '13, 22:28

by mr mopu » Nov 27th, '13, 22:28

AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
They have changed the symbol for Dayi should glow in the light. Does the wrapper look a lot different from the other one?
I got the light and used it on the tea. It had a hologram, but different from most of my other Dayis. It did not have the word Dayi light up. My question is, would the word Dayi light up? Are all holograms the same since 2008 or have they changed them?
The symbol for Dayi should "Glow" under the light. The Holograms change about every other year in some manner to keep the fakes down. The new Dayi's will have a number that you will be able to verify on their site i have heard. Was there a big difference in the outer wrapper on the new one?

Nov 28th, '13, 08:02

by AllanK » Nov 28th, '13, 08:02

mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
They have changed the symbol for Dayi should glow in the light. Does the wrapper look a lot different from the other one?
The symbol for Dayi should "Glow" under the light. The Holograms change about every other year in some manner to keep the fakes down. The new Dayi's will have a number that you will be able to verify on their site i have heard. Was there a big difference in the outer wrapper on the new one?
I did not notice a big difference in the design of the outer wrapper. However, I have not yet received the same one from Berylleb to check for sure. I can only compare it to other year/model of Dayi. The biggest difference was in the taste of the tea by far, not up to Dayi standards.

Nov 28th, '13, 08:44

by mr mopu » Nov 28th, '13, 08:44

The Berylleb one will be much different. Would you post some pics so we might help others avoid the issues of fakes.

Nov 28th, '13, 09:22

by chin » Nov 28th, '13, 09:22

I got the light and used it on the tea. It had a hologram, but different from most of my other Dayis. It did not have the word Dayi light up. My question is, would the word Dayi light up? Are all holograms the same since 2008 or have they changed them?[/quote]

Hi AllanK,

There are 2 identifications for every dayi tea cake. One is sticker on the wrapper and the other one is on the tea cake itself. As for 2008 and 2009 tea cakes, the identification sticker on the wrapper will light up the hologram of "益" and the identification on the tea cake will light up the hologram of "益" and "DAYI". Refererence below:
Attachments
dayi identification on tea cake.jpg
Dayi Identification on tea cake
dayi identification on tea cake.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
dayi identification on wrapper.jpg
Dayi Identification on wrapper
dayi identification on wrapper.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

Nov 28th, '13, 09:25

by chin » Nov 28th, '13, 09:25

Hi AllanK,

The real references:
Attachments
dayi identification on tea cake2.JPG
dayi identification on tea cake
dayi identification on tea cake2.JPG (12.52 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
dayi identification on wrapper2.JPG
dayi identification on wrapper
dayi identification on wrapper2.JPG (19.92 KiB) Viewed 1910 times

Nov 28th, '13, 10:38

by mr mopu » Nov 28th, '13, 10:38

chin wrote:I got the light and used it on the tea. It had a hologram, but different from most of my other Dayis. It did not have the word Dayi light up. My question is, would the word Dayi light up? Are all holograms the same since 2008 or have they changed them?
Hi AllanK,

There are 2 identifications for every dayi tea cake. One is sticker on the wrapper and the other one is on the tea cake itself. As for 2008 and 2009 tea cakes, the identification sticker on the wrapper will light up the hologram of "益" and the identification on the tea cake will light up the hologram of "益" and "DAYI". Refererence below:[/quote]
+1 Great info!

Nov 29th, '13, 19:01

by AllanK » Nov 29th, '13, 19:01

mr mopu wrote:The Berylleb one will be much different. Would you post some pics so we might help others avoid the issues of fakes.
The one from Berylleb has not reached me yet. I will be sure to take pictures so we can see the difference.

Nov 29th, '13, 19:11

by AllanK » Nov 29th, '13, 19:11

chin wrote:I got the light and used it on the tea. It had a hologram, but different from most of my other Dayis. It did not have the word Dayi light up. My question is, would the word Dayi light up? Are all holograms the same since 2008 or have they changed them?
Hi AllanK,

There are 2 identifications for every dayi tea cake. One is sticker on the wrapper and the other one is on the tea cake itself. As for 2008 and 2009 tea cakes, the identification sticker on the wrapper will light up the hologram of "益" and the identification on the tea cake will light up the hologram of "益" and "DAYI". Refererence below:[/quote]

If there should be two identifications on the tea cake itself, there is only one. If this is a fake, and I am still not certain enough to put a name on public display, it is a good one. On the other hand I opened a new Dayi from Dragon Tea House and it was impossible to get the seal off in one piece, as on every other definitely real Dayi I have bought.

Dec 5th, '13, 16:42

by AllanK » Dec 5th, '13, 16:42

AllanK wrote:
The attachment 20131121_191548_4.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20131121_194805_2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20131121_194805_2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20131121_191537_3.jpg is no longer available
I am wondering how you can tell if a Menghai Dayi is real or fake. I recently bought this tea for auction on Ebay. As I cannot know the theory it is fake is true I will not mention the seller. Some aspects seem slightly wrong. The seal was slightly different than other Dayis I have bought. The paper with the tea (the interior paper descriptive) was all black and white. If it is a fake it is a decent tea. It is a bit more camphory than other ripe Dayis I have drank. It was a 2009 Menghai Dayi 7572 Ripe Tea. It is just small and subtle things that make me wonder if it is a fake.
I finally got the real 7572 from Berylleb King Tea and there were several differences. First, the Berylleb one was up to Dayi standards and had no perceptible taste of camphor, unlike the probably fake. The Berylleb had two holograms on the inner ticket, the other only one. The hologram on the seal were slightly different between both. The Berylleb glowed green, the other white. The Berylleb tea seal was nearly impossible to peal off, just like a Dayi, the other came off much more clearly. Here are the photos.
Attachments
berylleb1.jpg
berylleb1.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
berylleb2.jpg
berylleb2.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
berylleb3.jpg
berylleb3.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 1831 times

+ Post Reply