How do you make a proper cup of black Darjeeling?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Postby ClarG » Dec 1st, '13, 00:24

I have read that the best way to make a proper cup of Darjeeling black tea is to wait until the water boils and then let it cool down for a minute or three minutes, and then put it over the tea leaves.

I have done this and it works pretty well.

How do you make a cup of Darjeeling black tea?
ClarG

Re: How do you make a proper cup of black Darjeeling?

Postby Genushumanusali... » Dec 1st, '13, 05:07

I've experimented a bit with water temperature with a variable temp kettle and I find that around 85C water and 3-4 minutes dependant on the tea suits my taste with most darjeelings. Much hotter and I find the tea a little too astringent for my tastes and much cooler and I find it all a bit wishy-washy. Since astringency is one of darjeelings characteristics, I'm sure there are people who'd appreciate it brewed hotter than me.

*I brew darjeelings western style.
Genushumanusali...

Postby ClarG » Dec 3rd, '13, 09:01

What do you mean by "Western style"?
ClarG

Postby b101 » Dec 6th, '13, 04:22

It depends how green the leaves are and from which flush they were plucked. If they are on the green side and from 1st flush, I tend to brew them in the following way: wait 1 minute if the lif of the kettle is open (for the water to cool to 85c), and 2 min if you leave it on. then put more leaves than you usual do with other indian\sri lanka teas (8-10g per 300 ml). Brew for about 2 min and an half. If they are more on the brown\black side (2nd flush), do the following: wait half a minute if the lif of the kettle is open (for the water to cool to 90c), and 1 min if you leave it on. then put more leaves than you usual do with other indian\sri lanka teas (8-10g per 300 ml). Brew for about 3 min. Hope that will help you. I really happy with this method over the years with darjeeling.
b101

Postby ClarG » Dec 6th, '13, 08:16

b101 wrote:It depends how green the leaves are and from which flush they were plucked. If they are on the green side and from 1st flush, I tend to brew them in the following way: wait 1 minute if the lif of the kettle is open (for the water to cool to 85c), and 2 min if you leave it on. then put more leaves than you usual do with other indian\sri lanka teas (8-10g per 300 ml). Brew for about 2 min and an half. If they are more on the brown\black side (2nd flush), do the following: wait half a minute if the lif of the kettle is open (for the water to cool to 90c), and 1 min if you leave it on. then put more leaves than you usual do with other indian\sri lanka teas (8-10g per 300 ml). Brew for about 3 min. Hope that will help you. I really happy with this method over the years with darjeeling.

Thank you. I tried this method today this morning and it works very well.
ClarG

Postby .m. » Dec 6th, '13, 16:54

With 1st flush darjeelings, i do usually several shorter infusions (gongfu style), typically 3-5. With 2nd flush, i tend to go just for a single infusion (western style), about 3min. Temperatures similar to what b101 says.
.m.

Postby Genushumanusali... » Dec 7th, '13, 06:33

ClarG wrote:What do you mean by "Western style"?

About 1 teaspoon of tea for every 200-250ml of water and a single infusion. Greener first flushes I'll usually brew for less time than second flushes.

After reading this thread I'm going have to try shorter infusions of first flush darjeelings using more leaf. Sounds yum!
Genushumanusali...

Postby Chip » Dec 7th, '13, 09:10

genushumanusalice wrote:
ClarG wrote:What do you mean by "Western style"?

About 1 teaspoon of tea for every 200-250ml of water and a single infusion. Greener first flushes I'll usually brew for less time than second flushes.

After reading this thread I'm going have to try shorter infusions of first flush darjeelings using more leaf. Sounds yum!

Western also includes longer steeping than gong fu brewing ... 2-5 minutes depending on the tea, etc.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby amaranto » Dec 10th, '13, 00:07

b101 wrote:It depends how green the leaves are and from which flush they were plucked. If they are on the green side and from 1st flush, I tend to brew them in the following way: wait 1 minute if the lif of the kettle is open (for the water to cool to 85c), and 2 min if you leave it on. then put more leaves than you usual do with other indian\sri lanka teas (8-10g per 300 ml). Brew for about 2 min and an half. If they are more on the brown\black side (2nd flush), do the following: wait half a minute if the lif of the kettle is open (for the water to cool to 90c), and 1 min if you leave it on. then put more leaves than you usual do with other indian\sri lanka teas (8-10g per 300 ml). Brew for about 3 min. Hope that will help you. I really happy with this method over the years with darjeeling.

I brew the different flushes in a very similar manner with respect to timing and temperature as a result of trial and error. There seems to be a perfect spot where first flush has a nice, round fresh flavor without being too astringent. I find that I have to be careful to not use as much leaf as I generally do when brewing other types of tea--even if brewed Western style.
amaranto

Postby ClarG » Mar 11th, '14, 13:04

I made some Darjeeling tea the other day and it was an Autumn flush that I steeped for 5 mins.
ClarG

Postby Tead Off » Mar 11th, '14, 22:01

ClarG wrote:I made some Darjeeling tea the other day and it was an Autumn flush that I steeped for 5 mins.

The only way to know how long for a tea to steep is to experiment. 5 minutes for some teas will work. But, it also depends on leaf/water volume ratio.
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Instant Messenger

Permissions