Nerding out at ... (Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug)

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Are you Hobbiting? 3 questions, 3 answers. Saw the first one? Seeing Desolation? Seeing anything Tolkien?

First one, yes
26%
No
4%
Will
No votes
Desolation, yes
17%
No
4%
Will
9%
All Tolkien? Yes
30%
No
4%
... maybe
4%

Total votes: 23

Dec 12th, '13, 23:56
Scrolling: scrolling

Nerding out at ... (Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug)

by Chip » Dec 12th, '13, 23:56

... The Hobbit midnight double feature tonight. Sitting in the theatre waiting for the 12:01 am start.

So we get to refresh memories of An Unexpected Journey before seeing the new Desolation of Smaug. IMAX of course.

Going to be really needing tea early tomorrow!

Dec 12th, '13, 23:57

Re: Nerding out at ...

by Chip » Dec 12th, '13, 23:57

Anyone else planning to see the new offering.

Dec 13th, '13, 00:00
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 13th, '13, 00:00

I didn't know there was one, but I'm going to have to check it out!

Dec 13th, '13, 02:26

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Dec 13th, '13, 02:26

Chip wrote:... The Hobbit midnight double feature tonight. Sitting in the theatre waiting for the 12:01 am start.

So we get to refresh memories of An Unexpected Journey before seeing the new Desolation of Smaug. IMAX of course.

Going to be really needing tea early tomorrow!
I love that you shared this here. Enjoy the show(s)! I am looking forward to hearing your report. So far I've read that the new movie is better than the first. I'm looking forward to seeing the Silvan Elves.

Dec 13th, '13, 03:30

by debunix » Dec 13th, '13, 03:30

Don't have an opportunity to see it until Saturday evening at the earliest--couldn't do a midnight showing during this work week.

Dec 13th, '13, 07:29

by AdamMY » Dec 13th, '13, 07:29

Trying to figure out when to fit it in today. If I can get out of work early enough might head to a showing right after work. Otherwise it might be the near midnight showing tonight, or mid day tomorrow.

Dec 13th, '13, 10:00

by Devoted135 » Dec 13th, '13, 10:00

It's killing me, but I'm pretty sure it'll be Sunday afternoon before we can see it. In IMAX, obviously. I'm so excited! :mrgreen:

Dec 13th, '13, 13:00

by Chip » Dec 13th, '13, 13:00

Had a blast ... it was a LONGGGG night. The theatre was pretty empty for the first movie but was packed for the second. Fortunately we had the best seats in the house.

Free refills of popcorn and beverages, however I kept thinking that a thermos of warm-hot sencha would have really been great.

I won't play the spoiler, so go enjoy it! Just do not expect the movie to follow the book religiously ... but none of Jackson directed JRR Tolkien movies have. Still fun to watch.

Dec 13th, '13, 15:04

by JBaymore » Dec 13th, '13, 15:04

I'll be seeing it soon. Can't get to the opening day.

best,

..............john

Dec 16th, '13, 12:55

by MEversbergII » Dec 16th, '13, 12:55

Chip wrote: Free refills of popcorn and beverages, however I kept thinking that a thermos of warm-hot sencha would have really been great.
Hehe, the SO and I had Chinese before, so I was able to sneak some water bottles of hot "takeout place" pu'er in. Wasn't great, wasn't terrible, but it was free and available.

Overall the movie was enjoyable. Unfortunately, neither of these felt like they lived up to the LOTR trilogy. Each LOTR movie had some awesome scene that I still occasionally rewatch on YouTube to this day. Neither Hobbit film has had one yet.

M.

Dec 16th, '13, 13:39

by Chip » Dec 16th, '13, 13:39

... though you know it is amazing how inept the orcs/goblins were (in the books as well) as never was an endearing, primary character of consequence killed off in LotR or the Hobbit ... so far :wink: . Boromir, you were generally glad to see him go, though he did live on for a season in GoT. :lol:

Perhaps my fave seen in Fellowship was when Gandalf faced the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad-dûm where he proclaims, "You Shall Not Pass!" Of course, amazingly not a single arrow finds any of the main characters as they watch in horror. And Gandalf returned in the elevated rank of White.

It pays to be a good guy in movies (and books).

Dec 16th, '13, 15:00

by JBaymore » Dec 16th, '13, 15:00

Chip wrote:... though you know it is amazing how inept the orcs/goblins were (in the books as well) as never was an endearing, primary character of consequence killed off in LotR or the Hobbit ... so far :wink: . .
Those orcs/goblins were eventually used for the basic genetic material source for the cloning of the Stormtroopers in Star Wars. :wink:

best,

.....................john

EDIR: Fixed the "generic" to be the intended "genetic". Oops.
Last edited by JBaymore on Dec 17th, '13, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 16th, '13, 16:35

by Devoted135 » Dec 16th, '13, 16:35

So I'm a total Tolkien fangirl, which means that all criticism goes out the door when I get in front of the books or movies. Who needs intellectual honesty when there are hobbits and wizards and dragons on my screen? :lol: So of course I loved every second of it!

Next they need to make Morgoth's story into a movie! With a creation story short in front of it! :mrgreen: And a distillation of The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth couldn't go amiss... And the epic of Hurin... And...

Dec 16th, '13, 22:29

by Chip » Dec 16th, '13, 22:29

JBaymore wrote:
Chip wrote:... though you know it is amazing how inept the orcs/goblins were (in the books as well) as never was an endearing, primary character of consequence killed off in LotR or the Hobbit ... so far :wink: . .
Those orcs/goblins were eventually used for the basic generic material source for the cloning of the Stormtroopers in Star Wars. :wink:

best,

.....................john
:shock: :lol: :idea:
Devoted135 wrote:So I'm a total Tolkien fangirl, which means that all criticism goes out the door when I get in front of the books or movies. Who needs intellectual honesty when there are hobbits and wizards and dragons on my screen? :lol: So of course I loved every second of it!
... yeah ... true dat! :wink:

Dec 17th, '13, 09:43

by MEversbergII » Dec 17th, '13, 09:43

Devoted135 wrote:So I'm a total Tolkien fangirl, which means that all criticism goes out the door when I get in front of the books or movies. Who needs intellectual honesty when there are hobbits and wizards and dragons on my screen? :lol: So of course I loved every second of it!

Next they need to make Morgoth's story into a movie! With a creation story short in front of it! :mrgreen: And a distillation of The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth couldn't go amiss... And the epic of Hurin... And...
What did you think of Martin Freeman's acting? I felt he's improved over his role in the first Hobbit film.

M.

+ Post Reply