Dec 12th, '13, 08:41

Re: What yixing do you use for Yancha

by Teaism » Dec 12th, '13, 08:41

teaskeptic wrote:
Teaism wrote:This pot is in not my favourite clay for yancha but I like the shape and the spout. Can control the brew to minute level. For yancha, every miliseconds count and this pot has the ability to perform. I wish it is in Zhuni though. I have a few other pots dedicated for Yancha.
How big is it?
Would love to see your other yancha pots.
Probably about 100ml. It is in the display cabinet resting for a few months now then back to work again. I use it for a few months and the patina came out quite nice. The next push would be more glossy. Probably an early 80s pot from 2nd factory.

Cheers!

Dec 12th, '13, 21:05

by steanze » Dec 12th, '13, 21:05

I have found that getting an Yixing that works perfectly for yancha is particularly hard. It's probably due to a combination of the fact that getting good zhuni/xiao hong ni is not that easy, and that there aren't as many pots in the 60ml-100ml range on the market. So I haven't settled on a pot for yancha for 1-2 people yet. When I have friends over (4+ people) then I use this bigger Xu Yuefeng pot, which holds about 180ml.

Dec 12th, '13, 21:18

by bagua7 » Dec 12th, '13, 21:18

steanze wrote:and that there aren't as many pots in the 60ml-100ml range on the market.
IMO, there is no need to be that strict. 100-120mL is also a good range for zhuni pots in gong fu style.

Dec 12th, '13, 21:41

by chrl42 » Dec 12th, '13, 21:41

steanze wrote:I have found that getting an Yixing that works perfectly for yancha is particularly hard. It's probably due to a combination of the fact that getting good zhuni/xiao hong ni is not that easy, and that there aren't as many pots in the 60ml-100ml range on the market. So I haven't settled on a pot for yancha for 1-2 people yet. When I have friends over (4+ people) then I use this bigger Xu Yuefeng pot, which holds about 180ml.
That's one of reasons, too.

What they Gongfu drinkers primarily prefered clay (Zhaozhuang Zhuni and Factory-1 Xiao Hongni) are gone long time ago. And they match real good with Yancha.

But, notice Di Cao Qing (from Qianlong period) and porous Hongni types (from Daoguang period) are also often used for Gongfu teapots and by ROC Hongni types replaced many of Gongfu SPs. It means back then, oldies cared about shapes more than clay types. (IMO, Xiaomeiyao Zhuni is an excellent worker for Yancha, too)

It's true, modern China market it's hard to find pots under 100ml, I think of 2 reasons.

1) it's really hard to hand-make pots under 100ml 2) traditional Chaozhou Gongfu ceremony is almost gone by the RC.

Dec 12th, '13, 22:09

by Teaism » Dec 12th, '13, 22:09

Yes I think for Yancha, shape is more important than clay. Of course the best clay is the old zhuni or something to that character, shapes and the performance of the pot is utmost importance. Yancha chazhou style of tea brewing is highly technical. I trained very hard, with proper guidance by tea masters, in this style for 5 years and still not getting it :oops: ...still huff and puff over it but getting there....
It look simple but very complex as every milisecond counts. So the shape and performance is very important in controlling the brew.

There are so many types of Yancha and I think the hardest is the Beidou no1 which I prefer to get the brew that sit on the edge of the cliff rhythm with a thick but rounded tingling bitterness that is teasing with a tint of sweetness (in brew no 3)
Really mind boggling ....huff and puff.... :shock:

Cheers!

Dec 12th, '13, 22:23

by chrl42 » Dec 12th, '13, 22:23

Teaism wrote:Yes I think for Yancha, shape is more important than clay. Of course the best clay is the old zhuni or something to that character, shapes and the performance of the pot is utmost importance. Yancha chazhou style of tea brewing is highly technical. I trained very hard, with proper guidance by tea masters, in this style for 5 years and still not getting it :oops: ...still huff and puff over it but getting there....
It look simple but very complex as every milisecond counts. So the shape and performance is very important in controlling the brew.

There are so many types of Yancha and I think the hardest is the Beidou no1 which I prefer to get the brew that sit on the edge of the cliff rhythm with a thick but rounded tingling bitterness that is teasing with a tint of sweetness (in brew no 3)

Cheers!
Yes, Meizhan and Beidou are among the hardest Yanchas I've been through, too. Followed by Qidan and Tie Luo Han..I'm no trained CZ style drinker, sometimes I just use Gaiwan brewing sophisticated teas :mrgreen:

Dec 12th, '13, 23:02

by Teaism » Dec 12th, '13, 23:02

Frankly I find DHP is more forgiving but the good ones at US$10,000 per kilo...that is not really forgiving. :lol:

Yes tea is what we like it to be, any brewing style or way of brewing, storing and drinking etc etc. I add Yemeni Sidr honey on darjeeling or Qimen, or mint in gunpowder tea or cold brew Yancha in fridge, kyara in old Puer....but still need to go through the strict traditional regimented style to increase the understanding. It is fun just to explore and push the limit in tea.

Have a good day my friend.

Cheers!

Dec 13th, '13, 06:26

by Noonie » Dec 13th, '13, 06:26

Teaism wrote: Yancha chazhou style of tea brewing is highly technical. I trained very hard, with proper guidance by tea masters, in this style for 5 years and still not getting it :oops: ...still huff and puff over it but getting there....
It look simple but very complex as every milisecond counts.!
I appreciate the competency one has to have to notice such differences, though I feel that as a relative newcomer to loose tea (3+ years) I'm actually happy that I don't notice such differences. I can instantly recognize the improved mouthfeel of a Rou Gui in yixing vs Gaiwan, and I can taste subtle differences in a TGY in a gaiwan (which i prefer for this tea) over yixing, but that's as far as it goes...5-10 seconds either way for 160ml of brewed tea and it's different but still enjoyable. I think there is something to be said for enjoying most of your tea because you don't know any better (but know enough to recognize that a cheap bagged tea isn't very good) :wink:

Dec 13th, '13, 07:24

by wert » Dec 13th, '13, 07:24

Teaism wrote:Yes I think for Yancha, shape is more important than clay. Of course the best clay is the old zhuni or something to that character, shapes and the performance of the pot is utmost importance. Yancha chazhou style of tea brewing is highly technical. I trained very hard, with proper guidance by tea masters, in this style for 5 years and still not getting it :oops: ...still huff and puff over it but getting there....

Cheers!
hmm...in your opinion, what kind of shape is suitable for yancha? Please do share your experience and learned opinion.

Dec 13th, '13, 23:13

by Teaism » Dec 13th, '13, 23:13

Hi Noonie,

You are right in your own way. Tea drinking is a personal enjoyment and there is no right or wrong way. It is good that you can distinguish between few types and scenarios but if you seriously pursue it, your curiosity will increase then all the big fuss start to matter. It is not a bad thing but another form of enjoyment. Cheers!

Hi Wert,
For Yancha traditionally shui ping is the preferred shape. Shui ping has many shapes but most of them are used traditionally. For me a good shape for Yancha depends on a few considerations:

1. Fast flow - so that I can control the milliseconds

2. Slightly flatter, so that all the tea leaves are immerse in water, I like to fill the whole pot with tea leaves.( the way of arranging tea leaves inside the pot is another big topic, so I will skip this...

3. reasonably but not too big opening for me to control the types of stream of boiling water going into the pot. If too big I will have problem " pressure cooking" the brew. If too small I can't get the right stream of boiling water in properly.

Having said that, sometimes I just abandon all the considerations if the pot is too nice and I just want to enjoy the pot aesthetic rather than being fussy over the shape. It is nice to be wrong sometimes so that you can see clearer from the right point of view. :D

Normally, I prefer about 100-120ml size pot. You can use this style to brew Puer too or any other tea.

So, it is just traditional way and a fun way to learn the traditional style. Any other styles or preferences are eventually up to anyone. No one is right or wrong. I brew Yancha in mineral water bottle too. :D

Cheers!

Dec 14th, '13, 02:18

by tingjunkie » Dec 14th, '13, 02:18

Teaism wrote:1. Fast flow - so that I can control the milliseconds
A bit of an exaggeration I assume? :shock:

Dec 14th, '13, 02:28

by Teaism » Dec 14th, '13, 02:28

tingjunkie wrote:
Teaism wrote:1. Fast flow - so that I can control the milliseconds
A bit of an exaggeration I assume? :shock:
Up to you to interpret my friend :lol:

Dec 14th, '13, 16:36

by steanze » Dec 14th, '13, 16:36

Thanks for the great thread and everyone's suggestions. Bagua, you're probably right that 120ml would be fine as well :) Thanks Charles and Teaism for your input on the importance of shape. It's great to learn from who has more knowledge :D
For the clay, I tried using side by side a dicaoqing pot by Jiang Xiangyu and a sanded xiao hongni pot (which I now use for aged puer), and I felt that the tea brewed in the xiao hongni pot tasted better (more nuances in the flavor). Maybe I should have used more leaves and shorter brews for the DCQ pot. Probably, the shorter the brews, the less influence the type of clay has on the tea.

Dec 16th, '13, 14:15
Vendor Member

by TIM » Dec 16th, '13, 14:15

One of my new favor. Copper sand, early 1980's. The fire and shape is perfect for fresh Wuyi.

+ Post Reply