Milk oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 14th, '13, 22:53

Milk oolong

by ClarG » Dec 14th, '13, 22:53

I recently bought some milk oolong and I enjoy how it tastes. I made it western style steeped for 5 mins the first time, and 5 mins the second time with boiling water.

I live in a high altitude so water boils fast here but it does not get nearly as hot as it does at sea-level.

How do you make milk oolong and how many steepings do you get out of it?

Dec 18th, '13, 14:02

Re: Milk oolong

by betta » Dec 18th, '13, 14:02

I don't have milk oolong, but will order once my taiwanese high mountain oolong fully consumed. Normally I drink these teas at work, using an approximately 400 mL porcelain teapot from Toru-san.
I intentionally use only very little amount of tea because of the mounth feel at work is different from that at a relaxed state.

Now my interest is to know, what is the ambient pressure at your place and at what altitude you live.

Dec 18th, '13, 14:13

by ClarG » Dec 18th, '13, 14:13

betta wrote:I don't have milk oolong, but will order once my taiwanese high mountain oolong fully consumed. Normally I drink these teas at work, using an approximately 400 mL porcelain teapot from Toru-san.
I intentionally use only very little amount of tea because of the mounth feel at work is different from that at a relaxed state.

Now my interest is to know, what is the ambient pressure at your place and at what altitude you live.
I live with roommates in a major city in NM that's about 1.5 miles above sea level.

Dec 20th, '13, 11:35

by betta » Dec 20th, '13, 11:35

Theoretically water boils at about 92.5°C at that altitude. If you have more minerals in the water, the boiling point may increase a little bit.

I have no experience doing any activities in the open air at that altitude, perhaps you need to add more tea rather than increasing the steeping time to get a better result.
BTW I haven't replied your questions fully; since I intentionally use very little tea, I usually can steep 3x providing that I add just a bit more fresh leaves each time. Steeping time would be about 3 min.

+ Post Reply