Why do people throw away the first or second infusions?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Postby ClarG » Dec 17th, '13, 20:38

Why do people throw away the first or even second infusions of pu-erh tea?

When I had loose young pu-erh I did not do this; but the tea was darker but I put more than a teaspoon into the infuser and just steeped it for 3-5 mins.
ClarG

Re: Why do people throw away the first or second infusions?

Postby MIKE_B » Dec 17th, '13, 20:50

it's not really an infusion. Just a rinse. Pour boiling water over the leaves and pour it off quick. Wakes up the leaf and washes off any....stuff that might be in there.
MIKE_B

Postby mr mopu » Dec 17th, '13, 21:16

MIKE_B wrote:it's not really an infusion. Just a rinse. Pour boiling water over the leaves and pour it off quick. Wakes up the leaf and washes off any....stuff that might be in there.

+1 exactly right. Get rid of the things that may be hitchhiking.
mr mopu

Postby debunix » Dec 17th, '13, 21:27

See these topics for further rationale....
debunix

Postby ClarG » Dec 17th, '13, 23:35

OK thanks. I had loose pu-erh in college and a bird's nest mini-tocha that was wrapped up, and I never did the rinse; but I have done it for pu-erh from cakes.
ClarG

Postby mcrdotcom » Dec 18th, '13, 07:29

ClarG wrote:Why do people throw away the first or even second infusions of pu-erh tea?

When I had loose young pu-erh I did not do this; but the tea was darker but I put more than a teaspoon into the infuser and just steeped it for 3-5 mins.

How did it turn out? I think certain loose leaf puerh actually fairs quite well western brewed, but what about the puerh from cakes?
mcrdotcom

Postby ClarG » Dec 18th, '13, 15:05

mcrdotcom wrote:
ClarG wrote:Why do people throw away the first or even second infusions of pu-erh tea?

How did it turn out? I think certain loose leaf puerh actually fairs quite well western brewed, but what about the puerh from cakes?

I tried brewing a small amount or 0.5 of a teaspoon of puerh from a cake following the rinse advice in a mesh tea infuser with boiling water for 3 mins each time. It was not as dark as the loose young puerh tea I had in college but it still tasted very earthy and my roommate and I enjoyed it.
ClarG

Instant Messenger

Permissions