Dec 17th, '13, 12:44

variable constant temp. Kettle

by Ursinos » Dec 17th, '13, 12:44

OK, so I'm a big tea drinker. when I'm in the mood for tea, I'll drink at least 4 cups of it in a matter of an hour or so. I have been, recently, enjoying the flavors of brewing tea eastern style, but this can be cumbersome to have to heat the water again and again over that space of time.

I've started to think it would be nice to have a kettle or something I can sit by my desk that would keep the water at the right temperature for the tea I have chosen that day. I have no idea what these would be called and how to search specifically for them.

Any recommendations from all those with more experience than me?

Dec 17th, '13, 17:06
Vendor Member

Re: variable constant temp. Kettle

by ethan » Dec 17th, '13, 17:06

use the search function because this has been covered well

Dec 18th, '13, 09:00

by Alucard » Dec 18th, '13, 09:00

You're looking for a variable hot water kettle that can hold temperature. I had a Breville for about 3 years before it cracked where the handle connects to the body. Other than that I liked it a lot. I have a Bonavita kettle on order and expect to receive it this week as a replacement. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YR0F40/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

Dec 19th, '13, 10:36

by Noonie » Dec 19th, '13, 10:36

Alucard wrote:I have a Bonavita kettle on order and expect to receive it this week as a replacement. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YR0F40/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1
I just got the same kettle yesterday. Didn't have time for a proper tea session, just one brew, but I'm looking forward to tonight when I can retain the temp for an hour as I have 3-4 cups of yancha.

Dec 19th, '13, 12:03

by kikula » Dec 19th, '13, 12:03

The Bonavita variable is definitely the best bet - well worth your money. And you'll love having an electric kettle - even a cheap non-variable temp one (I got my old Aroma kettle on ebay for $13 and it served me well) set up next to your pot and cup makes multiple infusions much more serene and convenient. There is indeed a lot more info on the topic in this massive searchable archive, but I think that fairly represents consensus in brief. (Actually, there are massive and incredibly useful and interesting old threads covering about everything one would ever need to know about tea in this forum, but if we just use it as a searchable archive, well, there's no forum. That would make our venerable Op sad, I think.) :)

Dec 19th, '13, 14:59

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Dec 19th, '13, 14:59

kikula wrote:The Bonavita variable is definitely the best bet - well worth your money. And you'll love having an electric kettle - even a cheap non-variable temp one (I got my old Aroma kettle on ebay for $13 and it served me well) set up next to your pot and cup makes multiple infusions much more serene and convenient. There is indeed a lot more info on the topic in this massive searchable archive, but I think that fairly represents consensus in brief. (Actually, there are massive and incredibly useful and interesting old threads covering about everything one would ever need to know about tea in this forum, but if we just use it as a searchable archive, well, there's no forum. That would make our venerable Op sad, I think.) :)
+1 If you search the forum, you'll find that the Bonavita is a great product; it has been discussed. So far, I have no complaints after a year of use. I too have a cheaper Aroma kettle that we throw in the car with us if we are going on vacation but otherwise rely on the Bonavita when brewing in the tearoom, unless I am going to heat with coals (I'm in the process of arranging to brew in the tearoom with charcoal) or a portable gas stove (which is more for outdoor use).

Blessings!

Dec 19th, '13, 15:34

by Ursinos » Dec 19th, '13, 15:34

Thanks guys. Looks like that kettle will go on my wishlist :) seems like it'll do the job I want it to :D

+ Post Reply