Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 15th, '13, 23:44

Re: Official Pu of the day

by chrl42 » Dec 15th, '13, 23:44

shah82 wrote:When you have that dry mouth, saliva washing it should release further flavors. That's part of the Banzhang mystique just as much as pungent huigans. If you have pucker mouth and it's not doing anything, probably not banzhang (or good banzhang), if it's young.
Good learning. Waiting to get that pungency on tongue one day...LBZ is not easy bushes :)

Dang...I eat too much MSGs these days :mrgreen:

Dec 16th, '13, 04:34

by kyarazen » Dec 16th, '13, 04:34

shah82 wrote:Broadly speaking, northern bulang is *astringent*. Southern bulang is bitter.

While there is a lot of diversity in what each tree is like, a proper LBZ is not going to be very bitter.
isnt season going to affect that as well?

Dec 16th, '13, 06:42

by Puerlife » Dec 16th, '13, 06:42

Today I enjoyed 1996 CNNP "Green Mark Te Ji" shu, a sample from Yunnan Sourcing. It is smooth, round, a bit sweet, almost creamy from the first infusion. Yes, it's better than the 2 to 5-year-old cheap shu I've been drinking but for me it's not THAT much better, not worth waiting 17 years for or paying so much more for. I don't know where it was stored, though. Anyway, today I have a special treat that complements the tea perfectly, a Northern Thai dessert made of coconut milk, coconut cream, and coconut meat in the middle, elegantly wrapped in banana leaf. Yum, not too sweet.

Dec 16th, '13, 13:48
Vendor Member

by TIM » Dec 16th, '13, 13:48

chrl42 wrote:
shah82 wrote:When you have that dry mouth, saliva washing it should release further flavors. That's part of the Banzhang mystique just as much as pungent huigans. If you have pucker mouth and it's not doing anything, probably not banzhang (or good banzhang), if it's young.
Good learning. Waiting to get that pungency on tongue one day...LBZ is not easy bushes :)

Dang...I eat too much MSGs these days :mrgreen:

2010 Spring Single origin LBZ old tree materials.

Dec 16th, '13, 22:19

by kyarazen » Dec 16th, '13, 22:19

just read some chinese book on pu-erh tea on the various tea mountains and villages in yunnan.

the author said that the volume of lao ban zhang throughout the year is close to 50 tons, whilst there are about 5000 tons of LBZ labelled tea entering the market annually..

thats freaky.. so 1% is the actual stuff? :shock: :shock: :lol:

Dec 16th, '13, 22:21

by kyarazen » Dec 16th, '13, 22:21

last night's pu of the day was a peasantry pu-erh tea.

a quick sample of a 6 tea mountain brand tea cake (banzhang wild) i bought in 2003, sealed storage till now. its aging quite well, the brew's now reddish, cake's loosening up, i reckon in a year's time it will be transitioning and that will be fun (hopefully i wont finish the cake by then)

Dec 16th, '13, 22:24

by chrl42 » Dec 16th, '13, 22:24

kyarazen wrote:just read some chinese book on pu-erh tea on the various tea mountains and villages in yunnan.

the author said that the volume of lao ban zhang throughout the year is close to 50 tons, whilst there are about 5000 tons of LBZ labelled tea entering the market annually..

only 5000 tons? :evil:

Dec 16th, '13, 22:36

by kyarazen » Dec 16th, '13, 22:36

chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:just read some chinese book on pu-erh tea on the various tea mountains and villages in yunnan.

only 5000 tons? :evil:
maybe even more now, the book was published a couple of years ago :lol:

Dec 16th, '13, 23:51

by shah82 » Dec 16th, '13, 23:51

Remember, that 50 tons include the summer picking and the fall picking, and that's all the trees, good or not. The actual number for spring trees is 10 tons. 25000 cakes if all the real stuff was reserved for them.

The vast majority of LBZ produced after 2007 is not pure. Even people you like and rely on, such as the vendors that appear here or online, will have LBZ cakes, but it's simply not wise to take their claims seriously. If you like it that much, then it's worth the money. If you don't, then it's not.

Dec 17th, '13, 00:16

by kyarazen » Dec 17th, '13, 00:16

shah82 wrote:Remember, that 50 tons include the summer picking and the fall picking, and that's all the trees, good or not. The actual number for spring trees is 10 tons. 25000 cakes if all the real stuff was reserved for them.

The vast majority of LBZ produced after 2007 is not pure. Even people you like and rely on, such as the vendors that appear here or online, will have LBZ cakes, but it's simply not wise to take their claims seriously. If you like it that much, then it's worth the money. If you don't, then it's not.
LBZ appears to have had a very brief reincarnation no? probably first serious incarnation was around 06-07? well as usual with anything chinese, i wouldnt be surprised that everything started deterioriating from then.

i had the great fortune of sampling a 07 LBZ, brewed by a tea master (he probably wouldnt like me calling him that though!) and i was hooked, out of god knows how many pu erhs and poo-erhs that i had drank over the decade, i was now ready to crown the LBZ as the king, considering that the tea i had drank was very well kept too.

we took it up to 20 brews, the tea was like an energetic wild horse, it kept charging the harder it was pushed, the first seven to eight brews were thick, rich, savoury, beyond which the body was still there and the fragrance kept persevering. i particularly liked the feeling of a quick hot gulp, and then and then exhaling through the nose, you could feel the fragrance blossom from within. yumyum...

Dec 18th, '13, 08:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 18th, '13, 08:24

Drinking from a Guangzhou-stored raw cake Marshal suggested, along with Johnny Walker Swing from the '90s. Nice combination! They absolutely bring out the best in each other.

Dec 21st, '13, 18:38

by debunix » Dec 21st, '13, 18:38

YiWu 2006 Sheng from OTTI #5 (from the Mandarin's Tea Room), herbaceous and sweet, but not yet very earthy.

Dec 22nd, '13, 00:02

by Teaism » Dec 22nd, '13, 00:02

Many teas, and the highlight is 2008 LBZ by another producer at my tea friend's house. First 10 brews, slight bitter but not astringent, medium to full body. 10-20th brews, sweetness emerged. He has 7 pieces and form part of his prized collection.

This friend own a restaurant and an antique business and has been a very long time tea drinker esp. in Yancha and Puer. He has a very good collection of tea and teapots. Occasionally he would me ask to pick one teapot as a gift to me from the display shelves. I always tell him that he will regret it if I pick one and decline his offer. Sometimes it is a test, so it is too good an offer even from a friend. In Eastern culture, many offer this out of courtesy and appreciation of friendship, but we must watch the borderline too....every time I am tempted but it is good to show some restrain in this kind of situation, to show our appreciation of friendship. It is a funny culture even to me. Haha!

Cheers!

Dec 22nd, '13, 01:23

by Tead Off » Dec 22nd, '13, 01:23

+1 :lol:

Dec 22nd, '13, 02:18

by squaretooth » Dec 22nd, '13, 02:18

shah82 wrote:Remember, that 50 tons include the summer picking and the fall picking, and that's all the trees, good or not. The actual number for spring trees is 10 tons. 25000 cakes if all the real stuff was reserved for them.

Also important to note that many, many teas will be listed as LBZ if they contain even the least amount of actual LBZ in them. It's all about marketing and "mark up".

+ Post Reply