First taste of Huan Jin Gui

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 28th, '13, 19:21

First taste of Huan Jin Gui

by Ursinos » Dec 28th, '13, 19:21

I got a wee bit of christmas money this year, and decided to spend it on some tea stuff. I managed to catch the sale at Davidstea and got myself one of those glass gongfu teapots, and stopped into another tea store a couple blocks over (distinctly tea: http://store.distinctlytea.com ) and splurged on some 10g sample packs of some other oolongs to try out.

The one I tried first was the Huan Jin Gui that they had. I'm liking it even more than the TKY I've been drinking so far. Seems to have more of a floral taste/aroma that reminds me a bit of the jasmin tea the Pho restaurants in town serve with their soup.

Any advice on differences in how to brew this tea over other oolongs? any differences?

Dec 28th, '13, 19:43

Re: First taste of Huan Jin Gui

by debunix » Dec 28th, '13, 19:43

My recollection (it has been a year or two since I had some) was that Huan Jin Gui did best with a high tea to water ratio and several rather long infusions right up front, and not trying to stretch the tea out for many infusions like a true TGY. But it was amazingly floral, sweet, and rich for those first 1-3 infusions, and very popular with my work colleagues.

Dec 28th, '13, 22:00

Re: First taste of Huan Jin Gui

by Ursinos » Dec 28th, '13, 22:00

debunix wrote:My recollection (it has been a year or two since I had some) was that Huan Jin Gui did best with a high tea to water ratio and several rather long infusions right up front, and not trying to stretch the tea out for many infusions like a true TGY. But it was amazingly floral, sweet, and rich for those first 1-3 infusions, and very popular with my work colleagues.

hmmm, might have to try that. I've done two infusions so far, first one at 30sec and one at 40sec. I did get a much richer flavor than TGY even with that short infusion. I'll extend the next steep to about 2minutes and see what happens

+ Post Reply