black tea from Bangladesh

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 29th, '13, 22:09

black tea from Bangladesh

by ClarG » Dec 29th, '13, 22:09

I found this article about Bangladesh black tea has anyone had it? If so how was it?

http://www.projectfoodie.com/from-the-. ... e-tea.html

Dec 29th, '13, 23:08
Vendor Member

Re: black tea from Bangladesh

by jayinhk » Dec 29th, '13, 23:08

Interesting, I will be in Calcutta in early February and my uncle is out in B'desh often for business. I'll see if he can pick me up some tea. I've been considering going over there with him too...

Dec 30th, '13, 01:24

by Tead Off » Dec 30th, '13, 01:24

ClarG wrote:I found this article about Bangladesh black tea has anyone had it? If so how was it?

http://www.projectfoodie.com/from-the-. ... e-tea.html
A couple of years ago, I was given some organic Bangladeshi black tea. It was less than thrilling. Because of the lack of offerings in general from Bangladesh, I could never get any clear picture of what their teas are like. I would strongly doubt they can hold their own next to Darjeeling and Eastern Nepali teas, or even the better Assams. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Dec 30th, '13, 05:08
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 30th, '13, 05:08

Based on the proximity of this farm to Darjeeling, Assam and Nepal, as long as the soil is good and the tea is correctly cultivated, there's no reason why the tea wouldn't be able to hold its own IMO. The tea would most likely resemble tea from one of the surrounding regions, although with subtle differences. Other Bangladeshi offerings may be pretty bad though.

Dec 30th, '13, 05:38

by Tead Off » Dec 30th, '13, 05:38

jayinhk wrote:Based on the proximity of this farm to Darjeeling, Assam and Nepal, as long as the soil is good and the tea is correctly cultivated, there's no reason why the tea wouldn't be able to hold its own IMO. The tea would most likely resemble tea from one of the surrounding regions, although with subtle differences. Other Bangladeshi offerings may be pretty bad though.
You would think that proximity might transfer to quality but such is not the case. Assam and Bangladesh teas are lowland teas, not high mountain like Darjeeling and Nepali. There may be some teas that are good from there but I don't think you would equate them with premium teas of the Darjeeling appellation.

Dec 30th, '13, 07:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 30th, '13, 07:19

Definitely a huge difference in altitude between Darjeeling (which borders this tea growing area in Bangladesh) and Panchagarh, which will of course have an effect on the end product. Panchagarh is around 150m above sea level, so higher than Assam but nowhere near as high as Darjeeling. I see no reason why they can't grow decent tea though, even if it doesn't get the same UV exposure as the higher elevation stuff gets!

Jan 1st, '14, 13:56

by ClarG » Jan 1st, '14, 13:56

There's a vendor that sells it called Teatulia but I've never had their tea.

+ Post Reply