First taste of Milk Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '14, 13:00

First taste of Milk Oolong

by Ursinos » Jan 5th, '14, 13:00

continuing on my Oolong exploration kick, I picked up a sample package of Distinctly Tea's "natural milk oolong".

brewed gongfu style. 95 degree C water. steeped for 45 seconds (after a flash rinse). My, oh my. pale yellow liquor, nice floral aroma, and the flavor came out as something I'm not sure how to describe. Floral, creamy, but with a note of astringency in it that worked well with the flavor. The mouth feel was also different - kind of coating, almost the same way as a good irish cream.

This will definitely be one to explore finer qualities of, and have in larger quantities than just a sample pack.

Jan 5th, '14, 14:14
Vendor Member

Re: First taste of Milk Oolong

by ethan » Jan 5th, '14, 14:14

Thanks for the review of Distinctly Tea's ...
I have tried several milk oolongs & own quite a bit of one from thePuritea which pleases me though it doesn't provide creamy mouthfeel. Perfection is difficult to find w/ "milk oolong" even at high prices, but perfection & very close to perfection can make a tea session interesting etc.!

Jan 5th, '14, 15:40

by Ursinos » Jan 5th, '14, 15:40

ethan wrote:Thanks for the review of Distinctly Tea's ...
I have tried several milk oolongs & own quite a bit of one from thePuritea which pleases me though it doesn't provide creamy mouthfeel. Perfection is difficult to find w/ "milk oolong" even at high prices, but perfection & very close to perfection can make a tea session interesting etc.!
I'm sure I'll eventually find that this milk oolong is fairly ordinary, but i'm guessing that'll be after I can afford to order stuff online and look for the truly good stuff. But for now, it was a very pleasant tea to sip while I was doing my morning read through of blogs and whatnot.

Jan 5th, '14, 20:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jan 5th, '14, 20:36

Ursinos wrote:
I'm sure I'll eventually find that this milk oolong is fairly ordinary, but i'm guessing that'll be after I can afford to order stuff online and look for the truly good stuff. But for now, it was a very pleasant tea to sip while I was doing my morning read through of blogs and whatnot.
Milk oolong is a favorite of mine, it amazes me how it can be both delicate and creamy at the same time. If you've found one with a nice mouthfeel, then it must be a pretty decent batch. Enjoy! :)

Jan 5th, '14, 21:50

by Ursinos » Jan 5th, '14, 21:50

Devoted135 wrote:
Ursinos wrote:
Milk oolong is a favorite of mine, it amazes me how it can be both delicate and creamy at the same time. If you've found one with a nice mouthfeel, then it must be a pretty decent batch. Enjoy! :)
it certainly was nice. of course, having never had milk oolong before, how can I judge it accurately against quality lol

Jan 28th, '14, 00:46

by Der Teeist » Jan 28th, '14, 00:46

Hi all.
I think Milk Wulong (Jinxuan) is often underrated to an unfair degree. Yes, it's usually a mass market tea since the Taiwanese killed the market with their chemical punching back in the day. But that's not to say that it can't be good. If you get hold of a high mountain Jin Xuan, it can be amazingly complex. I really like it! I think it deserves some support!

Jan 28th, '14, 14:02
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 28th, '14, 14:02

Jinxuan has usually been far from the wonderful milk oolong that was my lucky first experience w/ milk oolong. There is no problem if it is not promoted as having a milky mouthfeel when it does not. I have no problem w/ any process (unless it produces tea that is bad for one to drink) & if it is disclosed.
I saw Mountain Tea sells a milk oolong & tells us it has soaked the tea in milk.
Great honesty. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.

Jan 29th, '14, 15:33

by Devoted135 » Jan 29th, '14, 15:33

I've tried Mountain Tea's milk oolong, though I placed my order over a year ago so what I drank was obviously a different years' batch. I quite enjoyed it and did find that it had a pleasant, creamy mouthfeel. I would definitely order it again if/when I place another order from them. However, this should be taken with a teascoop of salt since it's the only one that I've tried...

Looking at their website, where does it say that they've soaked their tea in milk?

Apr 12th, '14, 01:32

by Hannah » Apr 12th, '14, 01:32

Ursinos wrote:But for now, it was a very pleasant tea to sip while I was doing my morning read through of blogs and whatnot.
At the end of the day, this is all that matters :mrgreen:

Apr 12th, '14, 03:26
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 12th, '14, 03:26

+1 to Hannah's reply to Devoted. I thought I had replied a long time ago but obviously did not. Plan to order some of MT's milk oolong in a month or so. It sounds good & its price is not too high.

Apr 13th, '14, 15:48

by Devoted135 » Apr 13th, '14, 15:48

ethan wrote:+1 to Hannah's reply to Devoted. I thought I had replied a long time ago but obviously did not. Plan to order some of MT's milk oolong in a month or so. It sounds good & its price is not too high.
Sounds good, I'd be interested to know what you think since it's been almost a year and a half since I've ordered from them. :)

Apr 14th, '14, 09:09

by Poseidon » Apr 14th, '14, 09:09

Im a BIG milk oolong fan! I try as much as I can get my hands on. The milk oolong from MT is pretty good if you brew it at 85*c; anything over that and it destroys the creamyness IMO. I actually prefer it sitting around all day in cold water. Just know that the tea labled Milk Oolong IS flavored. They also carry Green Jin Xuan Oolong which is unflavored. I have some of the Jin Xuan on its way as I type this! :mrgreen:

Apr 14th, '14, 14:36

by Devoted135 » Apr 14th, '14, 14:36

Poseidon wrote:Im a BIG milk oolong fan! I try as much as I can get my hands on. The milk oolong from MT is pretty good if you brew it at 85*c; anything over that and it destroys the creamyness IMO. I actually prefer it sitting around all day in cold water. Just know that the tea labled Milk Oolong IS flavored. They also carry Green Jin Xuan Oolong which is unflavored. I have some of the Jin Xuan on its way as I type this! :mrgreen:
Ah, that explains it! I was looking at (and had ordered) the Green Jin Xuan. :)

Apr 14th, '14, 18:43

by Misou » Apr 14th, '14, 18:43

I don't have MT teas but generally speaking Jin Xuan is much better than flavored milk oolong. The creaminess is still very pressent and the flavor is much fresher with more complicity. Try them both though because you might really like flavored oolong.

+ Post Reply