Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 3rd, '14, 16:40
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Jan 3rd, '14, 16:40

Thai Oolong #12--purchased in Bangkok. My dad bought me this tea before he passed away; it lost a lot of flavor when the humidity got to it, but since investing in a dehumidifier it appears to have regained much of the flavor it originally had. Grandpa-style brew in a big Chinese mug; this stuff is sweet and sour. After a couple of years of aging it is less punchy and more like TGY. Not bad, but somewhat bitter. Using it to wash down some lau sa bau:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/10/131511 ... buns-photo

http://danielfooddiary.com/2013/11/07/liushabao/

Eating my sweets before I get to the real savory dim sum. :)

Jan 5th, '14, 11:08

by AdamMY » Jan 5th, '14, 11:08

2010 Traditional High Fired Lishan from Origin tea. The 'pellets' are quite small so I recommend using less than you think you should.

Jan 5th, '14, 11:17
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 5th, '14, 11:17

$12 for 600g oolong from across the street (literally). I asked if they had any shui xian, and they smirked and asked me how much I wanted to spend. I said $100 (I wanted to buy around 150g), and they showed me something green and rolled like TGY. I told them it definitely wasn't shui xian and they stopped grinning. Checked it out, and it looked and smelled good, and for $12 for 600g I decided to pick it up anyway. Turned out to be pretty decent tea, especially for the price. It's good with water around 90-95 degrees C--hotter and it gets bitter, but with cooler water it's sweet and floral with no bitterness.

I suspect this stuff is ben shan oolong.

Jan 5th, '14, 17:57

by MIKE_B » Jan 5th, '14, 17:57

Relaxing in the Caribbean with winter DYL from origintea. Life is pretty good.

Jan 5th, '14, 20:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jan 5th, '14, 20:37

MIKE_B wrote:Relaxing in the Caribbean with winter DYL from origintea. Life is pretty good.
So. Jealous.

(but not as jealous as everyone who is under 2 feet of snow!)

Jan 5th, '14, 20:48

by AdamMY » Jan 5th, '14, 20:48

Devoted135 wrote:
MIKE_B wrote:Relaxing in the Caribbean with winter DYL from origintea. Life is pretty good.
So. Jealous.

Are you reading my messages in the side chat..... :shock: The snow is up to the plate on my car, and we are expecting at least another half foot over night!

I think oolong is definitely on the menu tomorrow!

Jan 6th, '14, 01:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Jspigs » Jan 6th, '14, 01:40

Devoted135 wrote:
So. Jealous.

I can confirm this as I am currently in a snow bank (aka New England), no need to send help as there is tea. ;) I am also quite tea drunk off some cheap ti kuan yin that is surprisingly complex.

Jan 6th, '14, 11:32

by AdamMY » Jan 6th, '14, 11:32

2013 Spring Supposed 102K DYL. Not a bad tea, but not sure I fully know Da Yu Ling well enough to have a guess if it is or is not actually Da Yu Ling, or if it is or is not 102K Da Yu Ling.

Jan 6th, '14, 14:29

by debunix » Jan 6th, '14, 14:29

I recently opened a bag of DYL 102K from Origin Tea, and have only had a couple of casual infusions so hadn't yet written any review. I was impressed by stronger than expected spicy notes amidst the sweetness and floral notes that I expect in high mountain teas. I was brewing it under somewhat unfavorable conditions for best performance--low tea to water ratio due to large pot and short time available for infusion sessions--so can't properly compare it to the other DYLs I've had--but the taste right from the beginning was quite special.

Jan 6th, '14, 17:07
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jan 6th, '14, 17:07

debunix wrote:I recently opened a bag of DYL 102K from Origin Tea,
The fatal problem with that tea is.....none left anymore :cry: :cry:

Jan 6th, '14, 21:42

by Teaism » Jan 6th, '14, 21:42

Late 90s TKY. I blend it with 20% 3 year old Cha Wang and they pair up perfectly, the older tea mellow and wise and the younger one, fragrant and vibrant.

Jan 6th, '14, 23:03

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 6th, '14, 23:03

Stopped by a friend's acupuncture clinic today with my "travel" tea set/backpack and we sat together for some nice rounds of tie guan yin and finished the time with some really lovely rounds of the Alishan tea a Taiwanese friend recently brought to us. Very nice rounds in the quiet of a serene and healing clinic space, with an overcast sky outside, catching up and reflecting upon the precarious and beautiful impermanence and gift of life/each moment.

The two days previous I poured the Norbu Song Zhong Fenghuang Oolong. I'm really impressed with the complexity and balance of the tea. It goes many rounds with rich flavor (12 good rounds using 4-5 grams in 90 ml Bero glazed kyusu) The tea has nice roast, a slight cream, and an amazing currant/lychee finish with a slight astringency that never overpowers. It's a really wonderful and very tranquil/calming/soothing tea. I'm very impressed with its longevity through the rounds, its complex flavor profile, and its all around soothing presence. It's a nice contrast to the Alishan tea I've been drinking lately.

To all the tea friends locked in cold weather and snow, I envy your weather. It would be nice to get some genuine Winter weather here in California; it feels like we skipped Winter and moved right on into Spring.

Blessings!

Jan 7th, '14, 10:17

by Math » Jan 7th, '14, 10:17

Yesteday Red blossom Charcoal roasted Dong Ding.

Very nice tea, a well made Dong Ding is probably one of my favorite tea styles ever, and this one is very good.

Bliss: Teatime soon! I've sent you a pm!
Teaart08: Thanks for the recommendation!

Jan 10th, '14, 07:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 10th, '14, 07:13

Aside from a couple of no-name teabags that were in my hotel room here in Kota Kinabalu, I haven't had any tea in several days and I really wanted some. Wandered into a local supermarket for the heck of it with no purpose in mind. Decided to check out the coffee and tea aisle. The only coffee was preground (blech) or instant sachets with sugar and creamer. I decided to pick up some Sabah Tea (locally produced black tea) and another brand of black tea from the Cameron Highlands since I can't get this stuff as cheaply or readily in HK.

I spotted a box with clouds on it and it turned out to be Shui Xian for all of RM5, or $1.50, for 125g. I debated picking it up, and then was like why the hell not? The same company had some TGY, so I bought both. Brewed some up with slices of tongkat ali (a jungle root that I have used in the past, and that I bought a kilo of at a local market yesterday) and it hit the spot, even if it brewed up rather bitter. I coffee cup grandpa'd it--preheated the cup, put tea in, rinsed it, poured it out and strained it with a spoon to stop the leaves from spilling out, and then brewed it with a saucer on top.

I also tried the TGY, which was about as good as the SX (4/10)? Not exceptional tea by any means, but it hit the spot, gave me a nice tea buzz and I am starving now! :) Going to eat some more excellent Malay food and then go for a bike ride around the neighborhood. :)

Jan 10th, '14, 07:28

by Teaism » Jan 10th, '14, 07:28

Hi jayinhk

Watch out for the tongkat Ali. Go slow on it. It is a famous local aphrodisiac and guaranteed to work. Too much you have a hard time climbing up the bike. :shock:

+ Post Reply