Darjeeling Autumn flush black tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 9th, '14, 18:48

Darjeeling Autumn flush black tea

by ClarG » Jan 9th, '14, 18:48

Does anyone here like Darjeeling Autumn flush black tea? I ordered some from a vendor and it's from the Margaret's hope estate. I enjoy it but I steeped it for 5 mins with hot water. I do not put milk, honey, or lemon into a Darjeeling tea.

Jan 9th, '14, 19:38

Re: Darjeeling Autumn flush black tea

by ClarG » Jan 9th, '14, 19:38

I found this article which tells the differences between the flushes for Darjeeling tea.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/ ... ushe/?_r=0

[quote=Jim Yardley NY Times]Anil K. Jha, superintendent of the Sungma Tea Estate, one of the oldest tea estates in Darjeeling, explained to me that tea is governed by four basic seasons, known as “flushes.”

The First Flush begins around late February and ends in late April or early May. Workers combing through tea bushes are looking for the small green leaves, usually two to a stem with a bud, or conical shoot, in the middle. The leaves the First Flush produces are yellower in color than those that follow and more delicate in taste. For years, Germany has been a major importer of First Flush teas from Darjeeling, and prices are often the highest of the year during this season.

The Second Flush runs from early June through the middle of July. These teas are more amber in color and have a fuller taste. Mr. Jha said the Second Flush teas are also more expensive. Japan is a regular importer of Second Flush tea, and many Americans also prefer it, he said.

Then comes the Monsoon Flush, which runs during the rainy season from the middle of July through the end of September. These teas are considered of lesser quality compared with those harvested in the other seasons in Darjeeling, because the plants are absorbing lots of water.

Finally comes the Autumn Flush, from early October through early December. The taste is closer to the Second Flush, with a more floral aroma and a full body.

Tea plucking shuts down from December to March in Darjeeling.

Tea bushes can live for well over 100 years, though production declines over time. Growers are now cloning plants so that they can keep the Darjeeling taste alive as the older plants die off.[/quote]

Jan 9th, '14, 20:25

Re: Darjeeling Autumn flush black tea

by ClarG » Jan 9th, '14, 20:25

I also found this article that describes the various flushes for Darjeeling tea.

http://www.lovetea.co/blog/wiki/what-is ... eling-tea/

First Flush, Second Flush or Autumn Flush?
What is a “Flush”?

A ‘flush’ is a term which applies generally to Darjeeling teas and refers to a specific harvest of the tea leaves within the year. The ‘first flush’ relates to the first crop taken in the spring, whilst the ‘second flush’ is the second batch of leaves picked at the end of the summer. Some farmers take a third yield of tea (and usually the last of the year) after the end of the summer, this third crop is called the ‘autumn flush’. More rarely there can be smaller intermediate flushes between the first, second and autumn – although this is dependant on the timings and strength of the monsoons. The intermediate flushes are called the In-Between and Monsoon flushes.
How do the tastes differ?

First Flush (Late March – May): The tea from the first flush is generally a lighter, crisp tea with a more delicate flavour compared to the second flush. The first flush will brew a golden amber color whilst a second flush will be deep amber to brown.

Second Flush (June – August): The second flush benefits from sunnier conditions and causes the tea leaves to be much greener and stronger in flavour. For well seasoned tea drinkers the second flush gives a bolder more vibrant taste, whilst for those who prefer a more subtle flavour the first flush is preferred.

Autumn / Third Flush (Sept – Nov): The autumn flush coming later in the year from a cooler sun gives an even more mellow flavour than the second flush. By now the tea has lost the crispness which makes the first flush stand out and the tea brews a deep amber colour akin to the brown autumn leaves found on trees in England.
Which is the best flush?

This is entirely a matter of taste and comes down to personal preference. First flush darjeelings tend to be more expensive which is caused by the fact that not much first flush is produced, meaning there is more demand than supply. Second flush has a very renowned taste – often described as muscatel (like the wine) and is very popular. Autumn flushes offer variety of taste and can be a great addition to any tea chest. We think the best way to enjoy these flushes is to pair them with the seasons throughout the year, just as you might enjoy a white wine in the early breezy summer and a red wine in late summer as the sun draws in.

+ Post Reply