Jan 11th, '14, 00:43

cast iron teacups

by Ursinos » Jan 11th, '14, 00:43

Ages ago I bought a cast iron teacup, one of those little asian style ones, from Teopia (now teavana). I haven't used it in a LONG time.

I remembered I had it tonight and tried to use it with some TGY and all I can say is BLECH! Maybe my palate has just gotten more sensitive with having been really paying attention to flavors lately, but drinking from this cup just gave the tea way too much of a metallic taste.

is this normal? I don't remember tasting a metallic tang when I first got this cup years ago.

Jan 11th, '14, 01:32

Re: cast iron teacups

by AdamMY » Jan 11th, '14, 01:32

First let me say I am sorry that you bought into their sales pitch. Secondly the tea must have been in the cup for quite a while for you to even be able to handle the cup, as those cups are notoriously bad for being scalding even when the tea seems to be a reasonable temp. In that time it certainly could have taken on some extra iron (not sure if your cups are painted/ or coated in some way to stop interaction with iron).

In closer response to your question, I actually do think we get more sensitive to items as we go on and gain more experience. I mean if you live in Seattle you expect it to be overcast, and are shocked when it is not, while in the Sahara desert you might not even have the concept of a cloud. With tea it could be the same way only drinking from metal cups could make us think overcast is normal, while porcelain, glass, or other more inert glazed pieces may actually be the true clear day.

Jan 11th, '14, 07:51

by Ursinos » Jan 11th, '14, 07:51

AdamMY wrote:First let me say I am sorry that you bought into their sales pitch. Secondly the tea must have been in the cup for quite a while for you to even be able to handle the cup, as those cups are notoriously bad for being scalding even when the tea seems to be a reasonable temp. In that time it certainly could have taken on some extra iron (not sure if your cups are painted/ or coated in some way to stop interaction with iron).

In closer response to your question, I actually do think we get more sensitive to items as we go on and gain more experience. I mean if you live in Seattle you expect it to be overcast, and are shocked when it is not, while in the Sahara desert you might not even have the concept of a cloud. With tea it could be the same way only drinking from metal cups could make us think overcast is normal, while porcelain, glass, or other more inert glazed pieces may actually be the true clear day.
the funny thing is that I heat my water in a cast iron tetsubin, and I get no metallic taste from THAT. maybe the glaze or whatever it is that keeps it from rusting is different on it than on the cups. I just really noticed a change in the flavor using that cup.

I'm not too upset about getting conned into the sales pitch. It was neat to have all those years, and honestly, I can still see a use for it in warming up hands on a really bitterly cold day. I just won't drink tea from it again.

Jan 11th, '14, 16:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jan 11th, '14, 16:39

I love cast iron (especially with enamel or glaze,) for many things, but drinking tea is not one of them. I have two of those cute little CI teacups from teavana. I would use a dixie cup before those. :lol:

Jan 11th, '14, 18:58

by miig » Jan 11th, '14, 18:58

Yes, me too.
I had them as well, in a glazed edition though.
But i didn't find them suitable for tea at all... fine porcelain is best, glass and coarse porcelain is ok. I'd say, the more delicate the tea, the finer and thinner the teaware should be. I think without glaze is even much worse, they will start rusting in no time! I'd use them as decoration or toss them out.
I suggest giving them to the Starks :)

Jan 12th, '14, 15:40

by Ursinos » Jan 12th, '14, 15:40

miig wrote:Yes, me too.
I had them as well, in a glazed edition though.
But i didn't find them suitable for tea at all... fine porcelain is best, glass and coarse porcelain is ok. I'd say, the more delicate the tea, the finer and thinner the teaware should be. I think without glaze is even much worse, they will start rusting in no time! I'd use them as decoration or toss them out.
I suggest giving them to the Starks :)
these are glazed, or seem to be. As I said, I don't get the metallic tang from using the teapot, only from the cup. maybe it's just an olfactory response to having the metal that close to my nose.

+ Post Reply